Is Google actively trying to mess Pale Moon up?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Is Google actively trying to mess Pale Moon up?

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2023-01-02, 12:15

I know it's not Google, but this is a complete show stopper for me, unfortunately. I don't understand what's so difficult about such setting, and who would want to search in a region instead.
Oh well, there goes one attempt to break free...

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-01-02, 14:19

If English is your preferred language than set it in Pale Moon as such and DDG will throw the search results accordingly.
If you prefer to search with Google, why don't you use the respective search engine (.xml - file)? You don't have to visit Google first therefore.

However, it seems that your profile is messed up and this is not related to the search engine you use.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2023-01-02, 17:04

I have set preferred languages to en, en-us and en-gb, and still get random dutch or german or whatever results in the mix, so it doesn't really work.
gepus wrote:
2023-01-02, 14:19
If you prefer to search with Google, why don't you use the respective search engine (.xml - file)?
I have no idea what this means.

And I doubt my profile is messed up, I only use about 3 extensions and start a clean profile about once a year.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-01-02, 17:49

Search Plugins
I don't use the one from that site but one for Google tailored to fit my needs.

Note:
You may also get results in different languages in case that DDG doesn't have enough results for the preferred language.
For English it shouldn't be the case. At least I didn't encountered such a situation.
Attachments
DDG.png

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-02, 23:17

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2023-01-02, 12:15
I don't understand…who would want to search in a region instead.
I prefer to read British English over US, so to avoid too many Yankee sites showing in my results, I set my region to the United Kingdom.
Off-topic:
Qwant favoured British results in its English search, without setting the region, as long as I was still using it. Curiously, even Mojeek, a British search engine with its own index, is not so Anglophile as the French proxy for Bing.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2023-01-05, 08:54

Yea, but most websites are hosted in America irrelevant of content/language, so this most likely messes up your results.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2023-01-05, 08:59

gepus wrote:
2023-01-02, 17:49
Search Plugins
I don't use the one from that site but one for Google tailored to fit my needs.
How does that make a difference when using that opens google search website?
I presume you're talking about typing "g" in front of a search term into the address bar.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-05, 12:54

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2023-01-05, 08:54
Yea, but most websites are hosted in America irrelevant of content/language, so this most likely messes up your results.
Where sites are hosted is completely irrelevant.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-01-05, 13:27

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2023-01-05, 08:59
How does that make a difference when using that opens google search website?
Convenience? :)
LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2023-01-05, 08:59
I presume you're talking about typing "g" in front of a search term into the address bar.
No.
Most of the time I use the address bar for search but not always.
Sometimes one has to use the search box for getting the expected result.

Dragos
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Dragos » 2023-01-07, 10:46

I would like to tell everyone that if you are using an alternative browser like Pale Moon, and you are battling with some websites not working properly, you are doing the world a massive favor. I wish more people would understand that there is no point in blindly battling the disease that's the modern web. There is no point in battling it by trying to make alternative browsers compatible with every single bloated, over-engineered website, and every single useless feature the monopolizers come up with, that is Mozilla and Google and whatnot. That will lead nowhere else but to endless frustration. The best solution is to just stop using those websites that don't work, it's their fault, not ours. If we submit to it, we are also complicit in this stupidity. I can play incredibly sophisticated 3D video games at perfectly smooth frame rates, but it's becoming almost impossible to view a few lines of text on the screen without the computer crawling to a halt. If the web goes on like this, I can't imagine what it's going to lead to. Just had to let some of my weird steam out. Thanks for reading.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-01-21, 22:51

I tried, but I am too used to Google unfortunately.
Then you need to train yourself out of being used to Google.

That's what I had to do when I quit basically everything Google-based*.

It took a bit before using DuckDuckGo felt normal and was the default behaviour for me, but it did eventually happen.

Except non-logged-in YouTube use. I no longer have a YouTube account, at least, and haven't had one for years. I also watch stuff on YouTube far less than I used to.

I'd have liked if I had been able to successfully abandon YouTube entirely last decade. I did try to switch to Dailymotion and Vimeo years back, but... the community just wasn't there. There is no point in there being another video-sharing community competitor to YouTube if there is very little that the competitor has with which to bring competition.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020