Annoying bug has stopped me from using Palemoon as my primary browser

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Swibbz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Annoying bug has stopped me from using Palemoon as my primary browser

Unread post by Swibbz » 2022-12-27, 00:28

Not sure where to put this topic. But I've stopped using Palemoon as my primary browser MONTHS ago because of this ANNOYING bug. I still keep it on my system hoping this bug would be FIXED, but it's still here after OVER A YEAR

I know I should have brought this up months ago, but I had to stop using PM as my default browser because of this annoying bug that just drives me up the wall..

But the help menu refuses to display the pull-down menu whenever I click on it. I have to restart the browser every time if I want to see the items in the help menu. It's annoying. The menu just does NOTHING when I click on it,. unless I start the browser again. It does not do this for any other menu, just Help.
"Political correctness is intolerance disguised as tolerance" - George Carlin

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Annoying bug has stopped me from using Palemoon as my primary browser

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-12-27, 01:12

@Swibbz: Unlikely to be a 'bug'... problem not seen here... and no similar problems with the 'Help' menu or other Menu Bar drop-downs have been reported. Therefore, logic suggests it is more likely you have some form of corruption in your particular Pale Moon installation and/or on your machine?

You have not provided any information about your current setup. Please post the information about your system as requested 'when asking for support' in this forum post : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2094&p=12010#p12010

A good initial test would be to start a clean Pale Moon Profile and see if your problem with the 'Help' drop-down menu persists on a new profile too? :) Here are a couple of Howtos on starting a 'new profile' and most other things Re: Profile Manager:
PS. Starting a new 'clean' Pale Moon profile for testing will not affect your current default profile at all... but you may like to use Moonchild's 'Pale Moon profile backup tool' before doing any testing so you have a copy of your current profile 'saved' elsewhere: https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

freedom4all
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by freedom4all » 2022-12-28, 16:05

Does ALT+H make the menu appear?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-12-28, 16:22

I have no problems when I click on the "Help". The window opens for me giving me quite a few choices in the pull down menu. And when I click on of the choices in the pull down menu, they open up like they should.

At this time I am using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 31.4.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 21.1 (Vera) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Swibbz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Swibbz » 2022-12-30, 01:29

freedom4all wrote:
2022-12-28, 16:05
Does ALT+H make the menu appear?

No, I've tried that too, it just highlights the help button but doesn't bring up the drop-down menu
"Political correctness is intolerance disguised as tolerance" - George Carlin

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-12-30, 01:57

As Blacklab stated earlier:
You have not provided any information about your current setup. Please post the information about your system as requested 'when asking for support' in this forum post : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2094&p=12010#p12010
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-12-30, 09:07

To begin with, wrong thread title. More appropriate would be: PEBCAK, Please Help.
However since the OP is reluctant to follow simply steps as asked, any help is futile (waste of time).

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-12-30, 15:54

gepus wrote:More appropriate would be: PEBCAK, Please Help.
Agree... suspect a case of PEBCAK. OP's previous posts suggest unusual setup (never detailed AFAICS) seemingly rather prone to curious UI problems and/or finger-trouble.

FWIW - PEBCAK wasn't the preferred phrase in the cold war military... we had hardware, firmware, software, and 'wetware'... and the wetware was often the underlying cause of problems. (Human beings are 50-75% water depending on gender, age, weight, etc.) :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-30, 16:13

AKA a "code ID-10-tango situation"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-30, 22:52

Swibbz, have you tried creating a new profile has Blacklab has suggested? I can give steps:
  1. Enter about:profiles into the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Select ‘Create new profile’ (Neues Profil anlegen in German; I am not sure of the precise English translation).
  3. Click the rightmost button both times in the pop-up window that thus appears.
  4. Scroll down as far as you can and click the lowest, next-to-rightmost button ‘Set as standard profile’ (Als Standardprofil festlegen).
  5. Close Pale Moon under File.
  6. Launch Pale Moon again and try to open the Help menu as normal.
    ※If you are a Windows user, you might need change a preference to get the traditional menu instead of the Firefox-like drop-down. My memory fails me on how to do this, for I have not used Windows in two years and the Linux version has the traditional menu bar by default.
Once you have done these, please report on whether the bug you describe still occurs. I will have further steps for you either way to cure your problem, but I must know what happens.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-31, 01:40

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2022-12-30, 22:52
If you are a Windows user, you might need change a preference to get the traditional menu instead of the Firefox-like drop-down. My memory fails me on how to do this
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite