Pale Moon in a positive light

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon in a positive light

Unread post by basicuser » 2022-10-14, 19:58

Here’s a mention of Pale Moon in a positive light. :)

---
Web browsers need to stop trying to be all things to everyone

https://www.zdnet.com/article/web-brows ... -everyone/
Stay away from crowds.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon in a positive light

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-15, 23:00

Meh, just a one line mention in a list of browsers to try. At this point be grateful that Pale Moon gets even that.
The author is the typical Firefox zombie -
Firefox went from a lean, fast, lightweight web browser to an entire toolkit of features, most of which, in my opinion, were absolutely useless. (This was some years ago; I do recommend it in its current iteration.)
Why? Has it suddenly de-bloated and removed the unnecessary features that were bolted on during the last decade?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-15, 23:45

moonbat wrote:
2022-10-15, 23:00
Why? Has it suddenly de-bloated and removed the unnecessary features that were bolted on during the last decade?
Nope. But I guess when your alternatives get even worse, you return to the lesser evil?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-16, 04:08

It's a shame that despite being aware of Pale Moon they won't recommend it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-10-16, 04:53

moonbat wrote:
2022-10-16, 04:08
It's a shame that despite being aware of Pale Moon they won't recommend it.
Considering that uBlock intercepts 18 different nasties on that one page alone, it's no wonder that zdnet might not want to recommend a browser where ad and tracker blocking can be truly effective.

Some real winners among their ad domains. I'm sure that all of these domains are completely necessary for correctly displaying zdnet's content:
adtech
btloader
amazon-adsystem
go-mpulse
scorecardresearch
securepubads
chartbeat
urbanairship
moatads

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-16, 04:59

I've long since blacklisted all these domains. Don't know why people find it so hard to use uBO - they will either expect it to work like magic without having filter list subscriptions or will use it as an on off switch when a page breaks instead of looking at its logger to see what was blocked.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-10-16, 05:09

moonbat wrote:
2022-10-16, 04:59
I've long since blacklisted all these domains. Don't know why people find it so hard to use uBO - they will either expect it to work like magic without having filter list subscriptions or will use it as an on off switch when a page breaks instead of looking at its logger to see what was blocked.
eMatrix blocks them all for me, I'm on max blocking by default. I disabled eMatrix and enabled uBlock just to see the full list of nasties on that page. But that's really typical I would assume - tech websites that hold themselves out as paragons of virtue and arbiters of privacy, that themselves are involved in the worst sorts of tracking and spying and profiting off the trade in personal data.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-16, 07:11

moonbat wrote:
They did but only features which Mozilla considered to be unnecessary. :x
View Page Info comes to my mind which was very handy since it also listed all media files on a page.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-16, 08:46

Woah, they got rid of that? Me, I bid goodbye to Firefox from version 4 when they removed the statusbar, and moved to Seamonkey. Came to Pale Moon after the big announcement in 2015 that they were going to dump XUL altogether.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2022-10-17, 10:48

Page Info is accessed through the Tools menu in Firefox or press Ctrl+I. It is just not available in the right click menu.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-17, 17:10

Thanks Cassette!
Well, I must retract my comment above.
I hide the Tools menu in every browser and I'm used to right click the page. Therefore I thought it was missing.
However Firefox is not my primary browser for a long time but I'm still using it when I have to.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-18, 04:07

moonbat wrote:
Meh, just a one line mention in a list of browsers to try. At this point be grateful that Pale Moon gets even that.
The author is the typical Firefox zombie -
Firefox went from a lean, fast, lightweight web browser to an entire toolkit of features, most of which, in my opinion, were absolutely useless. (This was some years ago; I do recommend it in its current iteration.)
It is still a start, better than what it used to be.

At this point, having any positive reviews for palemoon is good, even if its kind of weak.

Btw, this person doesn't say when firefox started to fall apart, so its not clear what that person means.

I don't think they are a complete firefox zombie, even if they mean a few years ago. However if it is as of like, 2021 march, then I am more inclined to agree.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-18, 11:08

frostknight wrote:
2022-10-18, 04:07
I don't think they are a complete firefox zombie
I think they are, because they make a point of doing a u-turn after saying something negative about it to be contrary to their own statements right after. It's a pattern I've seen all too often with Firefox fanbois. "It stopped being good but I somehow still like it more than anything else" and not actually giving any details why they won't judge it as harshly as what they tend to compare it to.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-19, 00:13

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-18, 11:08
"It stopped being good but I somehow still like it more than anything else" and not actually giving any details why they won't judge it as harshly as what they tend to compare it to.
One can still understand if they haven't heard of Pale Moon and think that Firefox being not Blink (in name only at this point, but what do they know) is good enough to use it. But here we have someone who has supposedly heard of Pale Moon and continues to stick with Firefox in the context of privacy.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-19, 03:39

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-18, 11:08
frostknight wrote:
2022-10-18, 04:07
I don't think they are a complete firefox zombie
I think they are, because they make a point of doing a u-turn after saying something negative about it to be contrary to their own statements right after. It's a pattern I've seen all too often with Firefox fanbois. "It stopped being good but I somehow still like it more than anything else" and not actually giving any details why they won't judge it as harshly as what they tend to compare it to.
Hmm, if that's true, which it probably is, given your knowledge of stuff, the discrimination against palemoon, etc... then yeah, forget I said anything...

:lol:

Btw, I would have used a nervous laughter emoticon, but don't see any lol.

Edit: the only way that statement would make sense, is if the person said this, prior to the Mozilla corporation.

However, so far away and not even close, regarding what they meant, otherwise they would be celebrating palemoon instead of being critical of it.

I wonder if they said that more as a way of lamenting that mozilla is becoming too much for them to bare as of recently, if so, that makes zero sense.

They have been like this since long before the webextension nightmare took place.

Thoughts?
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-19, 09:00

frostknight wrote:
2022-10-19, 03:39
Thoughts?
It's nice we got mentioned in a positive light, for once, even if ever so brief.

Nothing much more to say, really.