Sources for Pale Moon Wikipedia Article [Solved]

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
KanziBonobo

Sources for Pale Moon Wikipedia Article [Solved]

Unread post by KanziBonobo » 2022-08-13, 18:23

I am looking for third-party sources to reference in the Pale Moon Wikipedia article. Wikipedia is a common reference and Pale Moon's article has had a notice about inadequate references for a few years. The article currently has many "primary" sources which are accurate, specific, and official. These are fine. Wikipedia also expects articles to contain "secondary" sources that are independent and verifiable. Independent third-party references establish the notability or importance of the article within Wikipedia. Adding these sources will protect the article against deletions or mergers.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia on why they require third-party references:
Everything in Wikipedia must be verified in reliable sources, including statements about what subjects are important and why. To verify that a subject is important, only a source that is independent of the subject can provide a reliable evaluation. A source too close to the subject will always believe that the subject is important enough to warrant detailed coverage, and relying exclusively upon this source will present a conflict of interest and a threat to a neutral encyclopedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... nt_sources

I made this account a while back to ask a question but am not currently a Pale Moon user. So I wanted to post this here to invite active users to help out. I do not plan to add any content to the article, just sources.

If you do not currently edit the wiki, you can post links, journal articles, or book titles in this thread and I will format and add them. During the next week or so, I plan to add at least 10 references from some combination of independent web sites, print articles, videos, and published books. Then I'll remove the template in Wikipedia and mark this thread as "solved".
Last edited by KanziBonobo on 2022-08-14, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Sources for Pale Moon Wikipedia Article

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-13, 20:00

The only good third-party reference I can think of that comes to mind is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Introductory-XUL ... 1304608700

It talks about Pale Moon and the Goanna engine a little bit in the 7th edition. Most of the other third-party sources that talk about Pale Moon are not that great and cast it in a negative light based on limited information.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-13, 20:42

athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-13, 20:00
Most of the other third-party sources that talk about Pale Moon are not that great and cast it in a negative light based on limited information.
This is primarily because most of the third party "references" that people like are the likes of C|Net and similar "tech news" sources that have outright removed and banned Pale Moon publications through their umbrella (IGN, I believe) because I complained to one of their publication and download outlets about distributing Pale Moon with an ad-loaded stub loader that is against the redist licensing in place. There are independent articles otherwise but they aren't as easily discoverable as "big media" that spends millions on SEO.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-13, 21:01

Ghacks has covered Pale Moon extensively for many years. I see over 100 articles going back to 2013 on a very wide range of issues.

KanziBonobo

Unread post by KanziBonobo » 2022-08-14, 00:46

That's perfect, thanks. The bit in the first chapter about Pale Moon being the most mature version of XUL is exactly what I was looking for. I've added it.

andyprough wrote:
2022-08-13, 21:01
Ghacks has covered Pale Moon extensively for many years. I see over 100 articles going back to 2013 on a very wide range of issues.
Thanks, I've added a couple of their articles as sources.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-13, 20:42
There are independent articles otherwise but they aren't as easily discoverable as "big media" that spends millions on SEO.
Yeah, I would imagine it's hard to compete with Google's budget. I was still able to find sources though. I posted a notice on the talk page and will remove the warning if nobody on WP objects.

I've marked the thread as solved. Thank you all for the assistance. 8-)

Edit: To be clear, I can still add additional sources if anyone has something they want to add but don't feel comfortable editing. The problem though is likely solved.
Last edited by KanziBonobo on 2022-08-14, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sources for Pale Moon Wikipedia Article [Solved]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-14, 08:13

Thanks for your help editing the article! It's extremely appreciated :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite