Linux Pale Moon Tarballs Behavior: GTK2 vs GTK3

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Linux Pale Moon Tarballs Behavior: GTK2 vs GTK3

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-08-11, 14:43

I hope this is the right board for this question. If not, please have someone it authority move this topic to the appropriate board.

I'm using the newest version of linux Pale Moon 31.2.0.1 at the time of this posting.

I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon on both desktop computers and laptops running Linux Mint and now, MX Linux using a mouse. For a long time I have always used the Pale Moon GTK2 tarball. But since GTK2 is considered old, I tried the GTK3 tarball. Keep in mind I use the Menu Bar in linux Pale Moon and the Bookmarks Toolbar.

At first I really couldn't tell the difference between the two since linux Pale Moon operated the same. But I finally noticed one thing when using Pale Moon from the GTK2 tarball with it's extracted folder.

On the Bookmarks Toolbar, the horizontal portion of the toolbar, I could left click and hold down the mouse button which allowed me to grab a folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar and move it to another place on the horizontal portion of the toolbar. Fine and dandy.

But with the GTK3 tarball with it's Pale Moon extracted folder, I cannot left click my mouse button on a folder on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar and move the folder where I want to.

In order to do that with the GTK3 Pale Moon, I have to left click on the Bookmarks item in the Menu bar which produces a drop down context menu. Then I have to left click on the "Organize Bookmarks" which brings up the "Library" window.

In the Library window, I then have to double left click on the Bookmarks Toolbar selection which opens and shows all the folders in the Bookmarks Toolbar. Then I can drag and drop the folders where I want.

This works the same whether I'm using linux Mint 20.3 or (MX Linux 21.1). So it takes me longer to move folders on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar when I am using the GTK3 version of Pale Moon where it is easier to move folders on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar using the GTK2 version of Pale Moon.

Is anyone else noticing this?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Linux Pale Moon Tarballs Behavior: GTK2 vs GTK3

Unread post by andy80 » 2022-08-12, 02:07

Now that you mentioned this, I also note this difference; I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed with LXDE.
Another thing I noted is that you can still move ordinary bookmarks by dragging them, as well as folders in the "Bookmarks" menu, so it should be something specific to folders in the bookmark toolbar. Moreover, sometimes by left-clicking on a folder and then dragging it to the left, it gets the same "detached" aspect as when dragging ordinary bookmarks, but it doesn't move.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Linux Pale Moon Tarballs Behavior: GTK2 vs GTK3

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-08-12, 09:44

Thanks for the confirmation.

With linux Pale Moon still being offered in GTK2, I've gone back to using linux Pale Moon this way. So I'll ride GTK2 until the day comes when it will be no longer offered.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox