"Mozilla alternative to Electron"...?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

"Mozilla alternative to Electron"...?

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2022-07-31, 13:31

10 years after Mozilla, under pressure from Google, nerfed Firefox's app server capabilities and 9 years after embracing Google WebExcrements/killing Jetpack and classic addons...

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/cr ... ck-success

What are they up to now...?
Never forget nor forgive the Addonocalypse.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: "Mozilla alternative to Electron"...?

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-07-31, 13:40

Literally UXP with a different build system, and I didn't even read the linked article, just guessing their course of actions.

tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: "Mozilla alternative to Electron"...?

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2022-07-31, 15:27

I set out to fashion something like that last year from Firefox. Specifically remember not getting any help at their chat server (they were confused why I'd want to make such a thing). Tweaked around with early returns in the URL processing system, so as not to trigger the security principals. Even then, still kept getting inexplicable crashes after deactivating the security checks in the page loader.

There was a release assert buried several calls deep.

Removing the assert and the principals mostly freed me from CORS, but my tweaks to the URL system made it impossible to load images somehow.

Anyway it would be cool if Palemoon beat Moz to the punch here. I don't think Moz's motives are pure... I noticed that MS Azure is getting to the point where it's reaching feature parity with TideSDK/Titanium (anyone remember that?), so Google probably wants a tinderbox/proving ground for creating their own contained server platform.
Never forget nor forgive the Addonocalypse.