YouTube SLOW!

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
caltrop
New to the forum
New to the forum

YouTube SLOW!

Unread post by caltrop » 2022-07-25, 20:14

I keep trying to use Pale Moon but... YouTube runs so slow!

Other sites are SLOW as well.

I keep going back to Chromium.

So sad that there are so few Web Browsers anymore.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: YouTube SLOW!

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-07-25, 20:49

Did you come here looking for help with your problems or did you just come here to complain?

If it's the former, you need to supply more information about your OS, setup and browser configuration.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-07-25, 22:59

I agree that Pale Moon is slow on YouTube, but I don't expect it to be fast on Big Tech sites. I don't agree that Pale Moon is slow in general.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2022-07-26, 00:18

YT not slow for me, from an external link to a video takes me about 4 seconds to start playing, any video I click within YT home takes about 2 seconds to play for me,
youse guys must have sumthin wrong in your config is what I'm thinkin, or I'm just lucky :lol:

I do have a general useragent for YT: Mozilla/5.0(Windows NT 6.3;WOW64;x64;rv:62.0)Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.8.2 *My spacings in this may be off some (hand typed)
I am also using the polyfill.io
Just thought this may be of help.
Got both from an old thread here discussing YT but I can't find the post ATM.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Peter Power

Unread post by Peter Power » 2022-07-30, 08:00

caltrop wrote:
2022-07-25, 20:14
I keep trying to use Pale Moon but... YouTube runs so slow!

Other sites are SLOW as well.

I keep going back to Chromium.

So sad that there are so few Web Browsers anymore.
I think you're trying to work with Pale Moon as you primary browser for a daily use.
In my experience that won't work especially if you're expecting sites using modern technologies to run in Pale Moon as fast as browsers built on top of the Chromium engine. :(

If Chromium is a V8 sport car, Pale Moon is a vintage restored turbo GTI car - a super customized and a super improved one.
A few seconds of "delay" is not that slow, it's actually an awesome performance. 8-)
(Disclaimer : No offense to the Pale Moon team, please take it easy and allow me this example)
It's not a shame to use only Chromium as your only browser or just a chromium-based browser on side of Pale Moon for a specific use.

I'm working in IT, I used Mac OS for several years, went back to Windows last February and I'm currently with Open Mandriva,
using Falkon for my personal use, Microsoft Edge / Google Chrome for my business use, Pale Moon for my side work.
I'm happy like that right now. It might change. :roll:

You decide your philosophy, the way you live or the way your want to see the world.
If you're happier with another browser or even proprietary software as a unique tool, that's fine, that's your own choices. Go for it :thumbup:

If you are upset or disappointed about the performance of Pale Moon, well you SHOULDN'T ! It comes a long way and it's working great.
No need to blame someone or to complain about it, no one on this forum is here to tell you what to do or to take responsibilities for you.
Test on your own, make your opinion and move forward ! 8-)

Kinds regards

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-30, 08:16

Peter Power wrote:
2022-07-30, 08:00
If Chromium is a V8 sport car, Pale Moon is a vintage restored turbo GTI car - a super customized and a super improved one.
A few seconds of "delay" is not that slow, it's actually an awesome performance. 8-)
(Disclaimer : No offense to the Pale Moon team, please take it easy and allow me this example)
No offence taken! in fact, I like that analogy :)

I guess with a V8 sports car also comes the gas guzzling (= resource use) ;)

For the record, even I am not exclusively using Pale Moon either, because the web simply is too Google-centric at the moment. I do use it for the vast majority of sites but there are a few like Youtube and some sites which are simply not interested in being browser agnostic where I use Edge, instead.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Peter Power

Unread post by Peter Power » 2022-07-30, 13:13

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-30, 08:16
Peter Power wrote:
2022-07-30, 08:00
No offence taken! in fact, I like that analogy :)

I guess with a V8 sports car also comes the gas guzzling (= resource use) ;)

For the record, even I am not exclusively using Pale Moon either, because the web simply is too Google-centric at the moment. I do use it for the vast majority of sites but there are a few like Youtube and some sites which are simply not interested in being browser agnostic where I use Edge, instead.
Glad you like the analogy :) and Trevligt att träffas "Månens barn" ;)
It was nice to hear as well that even you can't stick with a unique browser for your own use.
It's not 100% black / white in this grey world :P

Cheers from Japan :wave:

Peter Power

Unread post by Peter Power » 2022-07-30, 13:23

Nigaikaze wrote:
2022-07-25, 20:49
Did you come here looking for help with your problems or did you just come here to complain?

If it's the former, you need to supply more information about your OS, setup and browser configuration.
Typo error in your code, it's not a double pipe "||" but a double ampersand "&&" :D
Looking for help and complaining at the same time I guess ! In the common language of the humans I think we can call that something similar to frustration.
I guess it's becoming a fashion. But if everybody start expressing their frustration on the forum, it's gonna be tough. Really tough.
On the bright side, if you can handle all of that Professor Nigaikaze, you should consider applying for a license in psychology ( It's a compliment :thumbup: )

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-07-30, 21:02

THX-1139 wrote:
2022-07-26, 00:18
YT not slow for me, from an external link to a video takes me about 4 seconds to start playing, any video I click within YT home takes about 2 seconds to play for me,
youse guys must have sumthin wrong in your config is what I'm thinkin, or I'm just lucky :lol:

I do have a general useragent for YT: Mozilla/5.0(Windows NT 6.3;WOW64;x64;rv:62.0)Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.8.2 *My spacings in this may be off some (hand typed)
I am also using the polyfill.io
Just thought this may be of help.
Got both from an old thread here discussing YT but I can't find the post ATM.
It's all relative of course. My daily driver is a Celeron 10 Watt CPU. That's why I easily spot performance differences. I like it this way. I like to "feel" the software I am using.
If you use a powerful CPU - let's say an Intel Core i5 - then it doesn't matter that much what software you use.

The way I remember it there was a big performance degradation across all browsers on YouTube when polymer v1 or v2 was introduced. However, this performance degradation hit Pale Moon harder than Chromium based browsers. Being a regular YouTube user this was the time I switched to Brave. There are many UI shortcomings in Chromium/Brave so I started using both Brave and Pale Moon. On a 10 Watt Celeron CPU there is a noticeable difference on YouTube between Brave and Pale Moon that was introduced with polymer.

As I remember it; before polymer YouTube was much lighter and performed equally well on all browsers (not good for Google).

Another thing that has struck me is that Chromium/Brave by themselves aren't especially heavy in terms of RAM. Heavier than Pale Moon of course, but still reasonable. I can use a full Linux x64 desktop with Brave and lightweight tabs and Task Manager showing 1.0 GiB of RAM.

The crazy amount of RAM associated with browsers these days seems largely to come from heavy sites. There is probably one other big RAM factor. If you open many tabs the multi-process factor in Chromium based browsers will likely kick in so if you are a heavy tab user there might be a big difference between a Chromium based browser and Pale Moon. I always close all my tabs when I close the browser and seldom use more than 10 tabs so the RAM hungry multi-process factor hasn't been a problem for me.

What to do about the "new" polymer design of YouTube? The first thing to realize is that this design sucks from a performance perspective. YouTube used to be more lightweight - now it's slower, but people overpower it with new (or at least decent) hardware. Was the polymer redesign a way to sell hardware? Not only desktop hardware, but I imagine that the YouTube app on mobile was also impacted. Apparently an API that only exists in Chrome was used to give Chrome a competitive advantage on YouTube. See link below.

There are (used to be) alternatives like hooktube etc., but YouTube is a bad habit, maybe because it's easy to click a link and fun to read the YouTube comments. Despite some crazy decisions by Google, YouTube is still a source of income for independent creators.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/25/googl ... -browsers/

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2022-07-31, 01:58

It is all relative, and I am using an i5 cpu (good guess) I would imagine trying it on an old HP laptop I have would not be so graceful.
And despite it working so well, I personally have "reduced" my viewings of YT (perhaps 1 view a week now at most) I do miss all those many channels I'm subbed to.
but for me enough is enough so I banned YT, I have yet to delete my account (soon though) as that is a hard one to do...as it is if I see any YT links I ignore
it or search for an alternate source of the video name if it merits, but I refuse to give them any of my views anymore...I Am tired of Them.

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-07-31, 02:31

THX-1139 wrote:
2022-07-31, 01:58
but for me enough is enough so I banned YT, I have yet to delete my account (soon though) as that is a hard one to do...as it is if I see any YT links I ignore
it or search for an alternate source of the video name if it merits, but I refuse to give them any of my views anymore...I Am tired of Them.
Off-topic:
Good luck with that. I've tried hard to avoid YouTube in the past, and was successful for about two years at one point. Best alternative is probably DailyMotion for general video content, and Spotify for music, occasionally stuff like Rumble/BitChute for content creators that started off on YouTube but are becoming wary. I have found that many people will actively become frustrated and demand a YouTube link if I give them a link to any other platform, and they get especially frustrated if it has any additional requirements of them like creating an account or they just don't trust it for whatever reason. Eventually I relented and had to search out YouTube links if I wanted people to look at things... a lot of people will not trust anything but a YouTube link, let alone go out of their way to use anything else.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-31, 09:25

Off-topic:
athenian200 wrote:
2022-07-31, 02:31
a lot of people will not trust anything but a YouTube link, let alone go out of their way to use anything else.
Which is exactly why Google bought them out and strengthened that notion.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

elliot15
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by elliot15 » 2022-09-12, 00:21

Are there any effective methods of making YouTube faster on Pale Moon, or are we just forced to compromise?

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-09-12, 04:29

Try uTube, which redirects YT video pages to an embedded version which doesn't have as much JS clutter. The cousin extension MTube redirects all YT pages to the mobile version, which is also a bit quicker, however it apparently has multiple interaction issues on PC.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-09-12, 10:53

I did have problems with Pale Moon in the past with past versions of Pale Moon when visiting YouTube. But not anymore. Sometimes there is a "pause" for a second or two when I open YouTube, but that has to do with me deleting all cookies for YouTube after a previous session.

If I don't delete any cookies for YouTube, YT does not run slow at all. And in most instances, if the video on YouTube runs in high definition I will use those settings such as 1080p60 and 1440p60. To give an example, Pale Moon is not slow at all for me at the YT video at the link below. And I always use 1440p60 for this video.

One caveat though, I always turn off the "chat mode" for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIVgtAXW_8

But I can run other YouTube videos with a higher definition and this definition is usually 2160p60 (4K). This setting can be found at the surfing link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPOvRuVek

Lastly, I have a fast download internet connection of around 713 Mbps which allows me to use high definition YouTube videos without any "buffering". Of course having a good graphics card along with 32 GB of ram memory, a 12th generation Intel i7 processor (12700K, 12 cores, 20 threads) with a processor speed of 3.60 comes into play for the desktop tower computer I use when I'm visiting YouTube using Pale Moon.

So there are other factors which should also be discussed or mentioned when using Pale Moon for YouTube videos.
Off-topic:
Edit: BTW, since I have a piece of vertebrae bone pressing down on my L4 nerve in my lower back, I started to notice I was receiving an "electrical jolt" in my lower back when I wanted to do a big sweeping right bottom turn on my 9'3" longboard surfboard or when doing a "pop-up' to stand up when I was trying to catch a wave. The "jolt" was enough pain to cause me to lose my balance and knock me off of my board.

So I used the surfing video above to search for a different pop-up technique somewhere between a push-up and a pop-up. This particular surfing video of Haley Otto above doing her pop-up is what I copied.

This "jolt" also happens when I pick up something when weighs around 25 pounds or more "the wrong way". So I am eventually going to have spinal back surgery to shave that piece of bone off which is pressing down on my L4 nerve and this medical procedure should take place in October. At least this is the "tentative" plan from my orthopedic surgeon since I have done a spinal injection (steroid injection) which is not helping very much.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-09-12, 19:16

RealityRipple wrote:
2022-09-12, 04:29
MTube... apparently has multiple interaction issues on PC.
I've been using it since the day you released it and have never experienced any problems :)
You do, of course, need to adapt to YT's mobile interface...

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-09-13, 02:29

Install Greasemonkey and then the Youtube fixes user script. Fixes problems and lets you have a more compact interface among other features.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-09-15, 21:05

THX-1139 wrote:
2022-07-26, 00:18
YT not slow for me, from an external link to a video takes me about 4 seconds to start playing, any video I click within YT home takes about 2 seconds to play for me... ... I do have a general useragent for YT...
Thanks for that. I can confirm that on my VERY old CPU, that useragent improves YT noticeably.

With the default useragent: video starts, then freezes a few times, and then the page will fully load, slowly. This process can take up to 20 seconds.

With this useragent: video starts playing, it will never freeze, and then the rest of the page will load in about 10 seconds.

Tried to fix the spaces: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.8.2

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2022-09-15, 23:06

You're welcome, glad to see it worked for you :)

Clasof56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Clasof56 » 2022-09-21, 09:20

Hi, just an old fart here and dont visit here much. But youtube...yes, slow to load. I ran across this site a while ago and really like it. Invidious... youtube clone or whatever. Anyway, it seems to load very fast.
https://yewtu.be/feed/popular

and here is an index of that:
https://docs.invidious.io/instances/#li ... -to-newest

Been using Pale Moon for about a decade...still my go-to browser. As usual, a thank you all for that. Clas