Problems to login, specific website.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
kalemoon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Problems to login, specific website.

Unread post by kalemoon » 2022-07-24, 09:01

Hello,

I have a strange problem with Palemoon and the Xfinity page to log in in order to pay bills, and it is that the boxes where I have to type do not appear.

Of course, java and cookies enabled -- it only happens on this page, I can access my email, etc.
No, it is not the Xfinity page as I can access it in other browsers. :crazy:
Captura de pantalla_2022-07-24_04-54-26.png
Thanks.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Problems to login, specific website.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-07-24, 09:44

I also have a Xfinity account since I have internet, email and phone service with them. Pale Moon does not work for me properly so I use either Waterfox or Firefox when I have to deal with Xfinity online.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

kalemoon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by kalemoon » 2022-07-24, 11:04

I "understand" ... that's already a limitation :x

-- and do you know if that 'Waterfox' is also an independent browser from Firefox?.

Thanks.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-07-24, 11:32

kalemoon wrote:
2022-07-24, 11:04
and do you know if that 'Waterfox' is also an independent browser from Firefox?
Firefox is owned by Mozilla. Waterfox is basically owned by an advertising company (which I cannot remember the name of at this moment) which is not related to Firefox ownership wise.

But Waterfox being owned by an advertising company doesn't really bother me because I only use Waterfox and Firefox as backup browsers when my daily driver, Pale Moon, is being discriminated against and doesn't work with some sites and Xfinity is one of them.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

kalemoon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by kalemoon » 2022-07-24, 12:01

Interesting commentary, I thought that the limitation was in some lack on the part of Palemoon ...

You seem to indicate that there are other sites that discriminate against Palemoon, could you at least point out the main ones you have seen doing this ...?

-- not mere curiosity ... I am disturbed by the fact that when things like this happen it is because the browser does not give in to the "security" requests of some sites (they want to share data indiscriminately ...) and this would better endorse the Palemoon browser. :idea:

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-07-24, 12:34

kalemoon wrote:
2022-07-24, 12:01
You seem to indicate that there are other sites that discriminate against Palemoon, could you at least point out the main ones you have seen doing this ...?
What rock have you been living under?
Check this forum for other threads. There are plenty of examples.
This is the one I'm dealing with myself: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=28403

kalemoon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by kalemoon » 2022-07-24, 12:44

You have no need to be rude. :x :x :x

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-07-24, 14:37

kalemoon wrote:
Interesting commentary, I thought that the limitation was in some lack on the part of Palemoon ...
In a way it is, but it's not exactly the fault of the web browser.
Have you ever watched one of those cartoons (or read one of those comics) where someone is riding a very slow donkey-drawn carriage and the driver dangles a carrot in front of the donkey, so that the animal would start running towards the food, speeding up the ride and adding the comedic effect of knowing that the donkey will never reach the carrot?
What is happening on the web is very similar: the donkey represents web developers, the carrot is some technology that would make web development (or just the web in general) better and the rider is big web companies (Google, Facebook, etc.)
Web developers will never reach the carrot, the supposed web utopia, but in the meantime they rushed the carriage at high-speed towards the destination decided by whover dangles the carrot.
Because of this, web developers use in their sites features that we can perfectly live without, but because they don't realize what they're doing and Pale Moon doesn't play the carrot game, websites end up breaking until Pale Moon catches up with the donkey running at full speed.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe every new feature is useless, but all of the issues that popped up on this forum for the past few years do fall in this category.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-07-24, 15:14

kalemoon wrote:
Citibank's website absolutely does not like Pale Moon at all. Users of Pale Moon keep trying different user agent codes to make Citibank work and those codes will work for awhile. But the fix won't last. Citibank will change something again for their site and Pale Moon will no longer work again.

I have a Citibank credit card. But I do not have an online account with Citibank. I handle every Citibank transaction I have with Citi over a land line phone. If I had an online account account with Citibank, I would simply use Waterfox or Firefox for the online transactions.

There are other examples too like Comcast for me, but there are other sites which you may like, but don't work in Pale Moon and eventually you'll run into one of them if you keep surfing the internet.

Basically these sites; which you may run across depending on what site you like to visit, that don't work in Pale Moon properly, the maintainers of those sites just want to code for a few browsers and they are: Chrome (and it's ilk) Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Safari.

So speaking just for myself, I don't fight the problem with Pale Moon where some sites just don't work with some of the sites I like. I could name a few more, but some of those sites will lock up your computer so I don't put the links to them or name them. For those sites, again, I just use Waterfox or Firefox and Waterfox is my first choice as the primary backup browser to Pale Moon.

kalemoon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by kalemoon » 2022-07-24, 15:22

@ vannilla

Do you really think that "they don't realize what they're doing"?. Is it not rather that they are improving every day more and more on the hunt for the collection of data-information to share/sell ...?

-- I rather think of a poisoned carrot. :sick:

Well, that's what I've seen some people comment on some forums, maybe the project administrator here, with more experience, can better clarify why these things happen.

Thanks for your commentary.

EDIT:

@ Night Wing,

I was reading while you posting ... Thanks for your answer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-24, 18:20

kalemoon wrote:
2022-07-24, 15:22
Do you really think that "they don't realize what they're doing"?. Is it not rather that they are improving every day more and more on the hunt for the collection of data-information to share/sell ...?

-- I rather think of a poisoned carrot. :sick:
Drawing on my own professional experience from employment in quite a few companies, this isn't the case. While it makes a compelling "ohmygodlookatthis" sensational angle to think that every company is actually harvesting and selling data of their customers, this is simply not true. The vast, and I mean vast, majority of companies out there make and sell products. And those products have nothing to do with customer information. As a business you need customer information to be in business. A simple fact.
The day to day changes are often not even in their hands or their doing; many websites and web applications use frameworks or libraries -- for the simple fact that once again, the business focuses on making and selling products, not on web design or web programming. They hire external people to do that. Unfortunately the software industry is strongly geared towards constant change at the moment because "Agile" is "the shit", with entities like Google giving constant reason to keep the target moving. This tumbles down the hill and makes its way into websites because companies will be told it's best practice to always be on the latest version of dependencies and this is blindly adopted because, once again, those businesses are not focusing on web development but rather their core products. So vannilla is quite right that a lot of companies "don't actually know what they are doing" aside from doing what their expensive IT consultants tell them (and those consultants have it in their own interest to constantly change ("innovate") since it keeps them employed and able to keep asking those stupidly high consultancy fees. "If they are expensive, they must be very knowledgeable" topsy-turvy reasoning that a lot of businesses with no in-house knowledge still fall for.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite