Mojeek problems

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
gorodn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Mojeek problems

Unread post by gorodn » 2022-06-28, 13:18

So I finally upgraded to PM 31.1.0 x64, and decided to look at Mojeek.

Is anybody having problems with "open in a new tab" setting?

I normally use DDG, and have very little to moan about. Specifically, DDG opens every result in a new tab, as per its settings. Unfortunately, Mojeek doesn't. In addition, Mojeek does not obey the Ctrl-Left-Click to manually open in a new tab, nor does it obey the Shift-Left-Click for a new window. I've even tried it in IE11, with the same results. However, Mojeek does obey the Right-Click "Open in new Tab" and "Open in new WIndow" context menu items.

For some diagnostics, I did some time ago have a Cookie Monster extension for a while, but disabled it when it did not meet my expectations. This did leave some "extensions.cookiemonster. ..." config items, which were set to true, but I changed them all to false earlier today. These items were not removed when I told PM to "Forget" the Add-on.

I did suss some of the HTML in the Mojeek results, and noticed it was using the target="_blank" attribute in an anchor with no href attribute. However I have not inspected the entire page of output, due to the hassle of unwrapping a thousand-character line of code. I may have to install my ancient copy of Arachnophilia :)

Oh yes. I have no problems with Mojeek otherwise. I have seen far worse so-called "search engines", some of which actually expected me to pay money!

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Mojeek problems

Unread post by Kerebron » 2022-06-28, 17:15

Wheel(middle)-click and Ctrl-click for new tab work fine, as well as Shift-click for new window, no problem here with Mojeek results.
/PM 31.1.0; Win7 x64 HP/

Did you try:
a. disabling your add-ons,
b. safe mode,
c. fresh profile?

gorodn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gorodn » 2022-06-29, 02:04

Kerebron wrote:
2022-06-28, 17:15
Did you try: ...
Oops. Win7 HP SP1 x64, PM 31.1.0 x64. :oops:

Not yet. As I mentioned, the problem exists also in IE11, which is also x64.

I have no Add-on Extensions currently, only a few Plug-ins: Flash, VLC, Java and Silverlight. Java I need for other software, Silverlight is completely un-maintained and not in the least updated. I would like to blame the cookie manager extension I used to have in PM, but that never saw IE so is unlikely to be a cause.

And the fact that DDG does do newtab perfectly and reliably. In both browsers.

A question does arise, however. Is Pale Moon a "Fault-intolerant" browser? I am clutching at straws here, as we all know that IE is fanously "Fault-tolerant" and Mojeek still gives the same mis-behaviour.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2022-06-29, 04:59

I have noticed the same issue on SearX and eTools.ch. The only way I could get open in a new tab to work was by creating a custom userscript based on this one.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-29, 08:53

gorodn wrote:
2022-06-29, 02:04
the problem exists also in IE11, which is also x64.
Then your problem is likely not with the applications but rather the way your mouse is handled in the operating system. IE11 has no overlap at all with our code base regarding user interaction or plugins.

Check if the driver you use is correct. Check if you are using any custom software that remaps mouse buttons, too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gorodn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gorodn » 2022-06-29, 09:28

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-29, 08:53
Check if the driver you use is correct. Check if you are using any custom software that remaps mouse buttons, too.
Good thought. All my mice drivers are and have been MS Windows drivers. No remapping is done on this box, and I am sure Pale Moon would have reacted to non-standard mouse mappings.

However. Given that DDG "behaves" itself and Mojeek does not, I sampled some source code.
Duck Duck Go...

and Mojeek...

I am not familiar with HTML5, but I am very sure that HTML 4 and 3 do not allow what's going on in Mojeek, which may be the problem. This is the limit of what I can do to investigate the problem, and I see no point in following @Ostradamus in building a custom script to "fix" it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-29, 10:23

They are literally the same...

They are <a> with both href=url and target="_blank" which is valid and means "open in new tab/window". meaning a left click will open it as such unless you have something intercepting that behaviour and changing it.

That doesn't have anything to do with forcing the browser to open it in a new tab/window though by using ctrl+click or what not as that is handled outside of page content.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gorodn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gorodn » 2022-06-29, 14:37

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-29, 10:23
They are literally the same...
If so, why does DDG work as advertised in both PM and IE, where Mojeek does not? What can I put in the system that will change the mouse or page-code behaviour in one site and no others?

In fact, every website I visit with PM I can Ctrl-Left-Click or Shift-Left-Click and have a new Tab/Window open. But not on a Mojeek result. This is not a fault in Pale Moon, IE, or the mouse drivers.

My personal opinion is it's bad lazy coding. I notice that Mojeek is putting two Block level <P></P> elements and a <H></H> Header (also Text level) element inside a Text level <A></A> element, while DDG does not do this.

I'm still interested to see how many other users are having the same problem.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-06-29, 15:18

Kerebron wrote:
2022-06-28, 17:15
Wheel(middle)-click and Ctrl-click for new tab work fine, as well as Shift-click for new window, no problem here with Mojeek results.
This works just fine for me as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-29, 19:08

gorodn wrote:
2022-06-29, 14:37
My personal opinion is it's bad lazy coding. I notice that Mojeek is putting two Block level <P></P> elements and a <H></H> Header (also Text level) element inside a Text level <A></A> element, while DDG does not do this.
Your opinion is noted, but that kind of hierarchy has not been a thing for decades. If you trip over a block level element inside an anchor, then you should also condemn any image that is clickable... 8-)

I also see no issues with mojeek results for either new tab or new window actions.