pop3 with Gmail suddenly doesn't work

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

pop3 with Gmail suddenly doesn't work

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-06-09, 17:21

I've been wondering why I wasn't getting any Twitch mail notifications lately, and now I've found out.
When I manually tried to download mail in Interlink, I got this error:
"Sending of password for user xxxxxxx did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."

I haven't changed Google password at all, and generally have absolutely no idea what the problem might be.

Has this happened to anyone else by chance, or does anyone know what the problem is?

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: pop3 with Gmail suddenly doesn't work

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-06-09, 17:28

Change in Google's auth policy. You need a special "App password" for your POP3 client to log in.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-06-09, 17:30

Jesus fucking christ!!!
Why do I use Gmail at all...

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-06-09, 17:33

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-06-09, 17:30
Jesus fucking christ!!!
Why do I use Gmail at all...
I recommend canceling the Google account and get another service.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-06-09, 17:35

Personal suggestion: Get another address and forward your gmail to that address.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-06-09, 18:06

I have to keep google account for search settings and logging into certain websites, but since I have about three other emails I don't use, I can get rid of Gmail at least :)

billnotben
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by billnotben » 2022-06-09, 19:12

It's simple enough to do. Add mobile number - enable two step verification - select app password - copy password and replace the one in your program. And things are back to working as usual.

I had to do it twenty six times in a couple of mail programs. The only drawback I found if you do five or six quickly google stops accepting your mobile number for a while.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-06-09, 19:58

This shouldn't have come as a surprise. Google sent mails out to every user using "less secure app acces" that wasn't using an app password yet.

They require 2FA for your account before they deem your choice of "less secure" mail client an option. Whatever "less secure" means in their opinion.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-06-11, 06:34

I just don't understand what's so awesome about "app password" when I can create a strong password myself.
I've been ignoring and deleting all google mails for a good reason (so yes it's kind of my fault) - most of it makes no damn sense whatsoever.
If they won't let me use a mail client that works in such way that has been for 20+ years, fuck them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 07:00

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2022-06-11, 06:34
I just don't understand what's so awesome about "app password" when I can create a strong password myself.
The reason they don't want it used for mail (or any other very frequently used authentication) is because a Google account is more than just mail, and if it gets compromised, you're not just compromising mail, but also things with financial impact like the Play store and all purchases through it, and the Google wallet/Google Pay. Using an app password will not compromise the master account password if it becomes known to a malicious party.
I think it makes sense on that level; and I guess they may be required to enforce something like that having moved into being an e-money provider. What I don't agree with though is that they want to exchange it with OAuth2, because the inherent risk of an insecurely stored password in an application is still present and OAuth2 doesn't actually secure against what an app password does secure against (app passwords are strictly speaking more secure in that respect). Because normal best practices has all client mail transport TLS encrypted anyway, the only real risks are TLS man-in-the-middle or insecure storage on the local system and it being stolen. OAuth might protect against the former (not sure) but certainly not the latter. If best practices aren't used then there's marginal improvement by forcing TLS for auth even if the mail transport itself might potentially not be secure.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-06-12, 20:47

Ah ok, I didn't think about it from that perspective. It makes sense indeed.

gorodn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by gorodn » 2022-06-28, 13:57

Why not give Fastmail a go? It lives in Australia and explicitly states it does not own your email. You will have to part with some bikkies but. The good news about the cost is that you won't be a product!

In addition, it recognises POP3s as well as IMAP and some others. POP3s is the https of email :angel: I use Gammadyne Clyton as a front end, but you can always work from the web interface if that floats your boat.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-07-03, 16:18

POP Peeper has new feature for this situation.