Finally upgraded to PM 31.1.0

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
sblanco
Moongazer
Moongazer

Finally upgraded to PM 31.1.0

Unread post by sblanco » 2022-06-08, 19:10

First, hello. First post here.

Though I have been using PM for a while already, and even used to talk a bit with some frequency at the IRC channel; at least until shortly before it was no longer used due to the dev happenings...

Finally upgraded to 31.1.0. Thanks team very much for the work.
Although still not 100% perfect, but it improved performance in "heavy" websites such as Youtube and Reddit.
I also set Mojeek as default searcher to try it. Looks interesting.

Just few things that could perhaps be improved furthermore, or I just have doubts:
---In Reddit pages, the "View entire discussion" button seems to not work at all
---Unfortunately, websites such as Yahoo Mail and Discord are still *barely* usable
---Github/Gitlab pages unfortunately still need this addon to work properly https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill/releases
---This is just curious: Mojeek browser feels indeed different from the other main ones, but for shown results it feels a bit weird: I search "reddit pale moon" for example, and I'd expect top results to be from Reddit; instead top results begin with *other* websites.
Is this just a matter of getting used?

Thanks very much for everything.

PrivacyDingus
New to the forum
New to the forum

Re: Finally upgraded to PM 31.1.0

Unread post by PrivacyDingus » 2022-06-10, 10:57

Thanks for trying out the Mojeek search engine. I work at Mojeek (and have been using Pale Moon for a good while) and we are very pleased to be added to Pale Moon.

The results you get are indeed always very different from other search engines & their proxies. We have our own independent stack and IP. Our index is currently 5.5bn webpages, so the results are also limited by our smaller index than that of Google and Bing.

This means that yes, you might need to adjust and sometimes adjust searches, site: commands like this can help in your particular case:
https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=pale+moon+site%3Areddit.com+

Our ranking algorithms are improving as our index grows so you can also expect more relevant results as both improve.

For Mojeek, user autonomy is a primary consideration so we allow a wide range of control on results display, signals that affect ranking and offer search choices so you can check out search results on other search engines/services with one click. See https://www.mojeek.com/preferences

BopBe
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by BopBe » 2022-06-10, 13:07

All these mention of this search service on active threads by new accounts smells kinda fishy, no offense of course.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-06-10, 13:25

BopBe wrote:
2022-06-10, 13:07
All these mention of this search service on active threads by new accounts smells kinda fishy, no offense of course.
I guess that's due to it being mentioned first in the changes part of the 31.1.0 release notes.

Anyway it's nice to know of more alternative search engines. I tried to search "touhou story of eastern wonderland", expecting to see the English Touhou Wiki's article of said game, but the results are, "interesting"...
Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 21.18.22-fullpage.png
Even being more specific like "touhouwiki en story of eastern wonderland" doesn't get me what I want. Hopefully the engine improves as it indexes more pages.

Btw how does the partnership with Pale Moon work? Does Pale Moon get compensated for every search query to Mojeek (like DuckDuckGo I think)? Do you guys run (non-tracking) ads like DDG?

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

sblanco
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sblanco » 2022-06-10, 16:07

Thanks everyone for your feedback about Mojeek.

Yes, that seems to be the situation for now, and yes, I mentioned it precisely out of the 31.1.0 release notes, and felt eager to try it.
But maybe I missed some detail: not *all* search results are "weird"; while still many, there are several other searches which return expected results.
I'll keep trying it furthermore anyway.

But still, what about the Reddit "View entire discussion" and Github/Gitlab issues?
Or should I create a new thread in the support sub-forum for this?

Thanks again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-10, 20:19

BopBe wrote:
2022-06-10, 13:07
None taken. But try not to jump on the "new accounts must be shills" assumption train. Most people I'm sure weren't very familiar with Mojeek before this release, and this kind of change tends to invite feedback from people who have not posted before as it does give them a different experience.
When Ecosia and Ekoru were added, there were similar new user posts. That wasn't fishy either -- but of course you're free to make up your own mind :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sblanco
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sblanco » 2022-06-11, 17:53

Could the Reddit and Github/Gitlab issues be discussed here, or should I make an apart thread?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 19:25

Aren't there already existing threads for github/gitlab/reddit issues?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sblanco
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sblanco » 2022-06-12, 02:33

Yes, you're right.
Sorry for not having searched more thoroughly.