up/down split button (history/filesystem?)

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

up/down split button (history/filesystem?)

Unread post by dchmelik » 2022-05-18, 06:26

Seems I may recall days of better WWW when some web browser (earlier Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox) had an up/down split-button between forward & backward, which was for history (down) and going up one level in URI/URL/filesystem. I also liked and may still use NextPlease addon which actually has 'back' & 'back to beginning' & 'forward' & 'forward to end,' maybe more than that, or was imitated and I have something similar as well.

Is such an up/down split-button possible in Pale Moon with any addon or would one have to be programmed?

If I'm not web browsing (doing other things on other half screen) often I use Pale Moon as a filesystem & image viewer on the other side, so I sure would like such a button, though I'm unsure I'd be able to program one (unlikely without a lot of learning interface & URI/filesystem stuff I've never done.)

It'd have many uses for URIs, like if you were in some discussion URIs (NNTP/Usenet/Gmane, IRC) though I don't use ChatZilla (and don't think they kept NNTP from old Mozilla/SeaMonkey) you could go up from that to the server window/tab.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: up/down split button (history/filesystem?)

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-18, 07:19

Not an exact match, but this one adds breadcrumbs to the URL in the navigation bar, so you can go 'up' by clicking on the relevant segment.
so with a URL of www.site.com/level/page.html, you can click on the word 'level' in the addressbar to go up one level.

You can try installing whatever old Firefox extension you had as well, to see if it works.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: up/down split button (history/filesystem?)

Unread post by dchmelik » 2022-05-18, 07:34

I don't know if an add-on had done that.
Thanks