Replacement UXP e-mail client

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Replacement UXP e-mail client

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-05-14, 06:30

Google forced Microsoft to create a full HTML5 Youtube client in Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.8, force-destroying their newly made silverlight (yes, microsoft implemented a sophisticated silverlight program in mobile) based app back in the day. People still dispute this, but this is what happened. A newly made, very advanced (i would say vastly superior to the android option) was launched in 2013 and they destroyed it within hours (i know it because i used it when it was functional before the blatant sabotage), likely because they were shocked they got beaten by the ones they beat in the web war and felt threatened in their web (at the time already mobile hegemonic) dominance. No youtube app like that would be launched until a year or years later in any platform.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-14, 07:20

Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-05-14, 06:30
Google forced Microsoft to create a full HTML5 Youtube client in Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.8, force-destroying their newly made silverlight (yes, microsoft implemented a sophisticated silverlight program in mobile) based app back in the day. People still dispute this, but this is what happened. A newly made, very advanced (i would say vastly superior to the android option) was launched in 2013 and they destroyed it within hours (i know it because i used it when it was functional before the blatant sabotage), likely because they were shocked they got beaten by the ones they beat in the web war and felt threatened in their web (at the time already mobile hegemonic) dominance. No youtube app like that would be launched until a year or years later in any platform.
Off-topic:
Thank you, you are the only person I've ever met who understands this. Silverlight and Windows Phone had the potential to be awesome, Google deliberately killed them. It's very similar to what Apple did to Flash, except not many people mourn it whereas there is a ton of nostalgia for Flash games. I've always felt HTML5 was an inferior standard forced on the web by Google and Mozilla in the name of "openness," when really it is more limited in a lot of ways than the Flash and Silverlight it replaced.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-05-14, 10:22

athenian200 wrote:
2022-05-14, 07:20
Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-05-14, 06:30
Off-topic:
Thank you, you are the only person I've ever met who understands this. Silverlight and Windows Phone had the potential to be awesome, Google deliberately killed them. It's very similar to what Apple did to Flash, except not many people mourn it whereas there is a ton of nostalgia for Flash games. I've always felt HTML5 was an inferior standard forced on the web by Google and Mozilla in the name of "openness," when really it is more limited in a lot of ways than the Flash and Silverlight it replaced.
Being in a poor country like i was and am until today and as addicted to a smartphone i was and only 17 years old, that likely made me lose years of learning so much stuff which could have made me ahead in many aspects from where i am today, as youtube was simply a better way for people like me who didn't had an easy path. My english was poor in reading abilities and it was way easier to listen to english than to read. Fuck google, they killed that youtube app and WP because they felt it would permanently screw them if it was successful.