Pale Moon for MacOS

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
KevinJones

Pale Moon for MacOS

Unread post by KevinJones » 2022-04-15, 14:09

I searched the forum for my answer, but surprisingly didn't find anything relevant.

This is my first try at Pale Moon. As a long faithful Firefox user (mainly because of addons I wish to continue to use) I have grown weary of its bloat and the repercussions resulting, often needing to restart.

I notice there is no official download of Pale Moon for MacOS. I managed to find an unofficial version 29.0.1 on a site somewhere which is what I am typing this on. Can someone give me an overview of the development goals and present status for MacOS?

Also, am I able to run FF WebExtensions/Quantum (or whatever, ie, non-XUL/legacy extensions) on this version of Pale Moon I have? (Acknowledging of course the caveat that all extensions may not work.)

Also, will I be able to develop XUL extensions like the old days where I could pretty much make the browser do what I want to?

Thanks, looking forward to my try out of Pale Moon. I already like the L and F much better.

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Pale Moon for MacOS

Unread post by Likestofish » 2022-04-15, 20:49

White Star is the Pale Moon fork for MacOS, although it remains to be seen whether White Star and Pale Moon may merge in the near future.

https://dbsoft.org/whitestar.php
Last edited by Likestofish on 2022-04-15, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-04-15, 20:49

Support for macOS was taken out some time ago, but there are plans to re-introduce it. Unfortunately it will take some time, so you cannot use it at the moment.
Current-day Firefox extensions do not work with Pale Moon and you can't hack your way around it, unlike old-day Firefox extensions. They are simply incompatible.
However, depending on the extension you need, you can either find a substitute in the official add-ons site for Pale Moon or use a Greasemonkey userscript.
Lastly, XUL extensions can quite literally do anything the browser can, so their limit is the person developing them and not the technology.

KevinJones

Unread post by KevinJones » 2022-04-16, 07:21

Likestofish wrote:
2022-04-15, 20:49
White Star is the Pale Moon fork for MacOS, although it remains to be seen whether White Star and Pale Moon may merge in the near future.

Can anyone tell me what the falling out was about with Pale Moon and the Whitestar dev?

KevinJones

Unread post by KevinJones » 2022-04-16, 07:33

Likestofish wrote:
2022-04-15, 20:49

Well, I tried Whitestar, it froze up completely upon first start up. I guess I'll continue using this "unofficial" build of PM (29.0.1) However, I am finding that the "spinning beach ball" occurs quite frequently while I using it, eg thumbnails loading on Youtube. I am not sure it is running any better than FF was; maybe a bit worse even. Perhaps when PM puts out a version for MacOS it will run better?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-16, 13:02

KevinJones wrote:
2022-04-16, 07:21
Can anyone tell me what the falling out was about with Pale Moon and the Whitestar dev?
It was primarily just taking a different direction. I've changed my mind on that, and although it will cause more complexity to have Mac support in the platform code base it's just a broader base for everyone to use.
KevinJones wrote:
2022-04-16, 07:33
I am finding that the "spinning beach ball" occurs quite frequently while I using it, eg thumbnails loading on Youtube.
Youtube is just problematic, period, ever since Google deliberately broke their "polymer" fallback code for browsers that don't support Google WebComponents causing very long delays on first load of the web page UI.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-16, 14:11

KevinJones wrote:
I am finding that the "spinning beach ball" occurs quite frequently while I using it, eg thumbnails loading on Youtube
For Youtube, there's a userscript that fixes most problems it has, to use it first install Greasemonkey for Pale Moon and then click 'Install this user script' on the first URL I linked. It adds an extra tools menu and lets you customize the size of thumbnails, whether to bring back the like button and other features.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2022-05-13, 20:50

KevinJones wrote:
Well, I tried Whitestar, it froze up completely upon first start up. I guess I'll continue using this "unofficial" build of PM (29.0.1) However, I am finding that the "spinning beach ball" occurs quite frequently while I using it, eg thumbnails loading on Youtube. I am not sure it is running any better than FF was; maybe a bit worse even. Perhaps when PM puts out a version for MacOS it will run better?
Not sure if Moonchild wants White Star discussion on his board, if not you can visit me at https://dbsoft.org/forum/

But I'd be happy to try and figure out why White Star isn't working on your system. Let me know if you want help!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-13, 21:26

dbsoft wrote:
2022-05-13, 20:50
Not sure if Moonchild wants White Star discussion on his board, if not you can visit me at https://dbsoft.org/forum/
I'm fine with it, if it just so happens to land here. No worries :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite