IRC channel again?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

IRC channel again?

Unread post by freefrog » 2022-04-07, 17:00

After the past events, is there by chance possibility for another IRC channel to still exist?
Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: IRC channel again?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-07, 19:07

No.
I'm done with IRC. it's been nothing but a headache, a lot of drama, and a time sink.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-04-08, 03:10

Actually, I think an overreliance on IRC as a communication channel resulted in the project being less organized than it should have been. Having an IRC channel means fewer threads discussing technical issues come up on the forums, meaning things don't get documented so others can find them. A chat where all the active developers hang out in particular also incentivizes laziness about creating actual issues and discussing the problems in formally filed issues so that there's something to look back on later in understanding what was done.

IRC and similar environments are more appropriate as a social gathering space than as a place to provide technical support or discuss how issues are to be resolved. It also creates time pressure and stress, because if people are talking in real time, it provides pressure to reply in real time to a conversation, and creates a fear of missing something important or angering people because you didn't react fast enough. There's also a risk of unnecessary arguments because people don't have as much time to reflect on what they are saying, and the rapid pace of communication increases the risk of a misunderstanding.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by SlySven » 2022-04-15, 20:25

TBH I think there is something in what athenian200 says - the project I primarily for (a certain MUD client) uses IRC, Fora and Discord channels for developer and user interaction and support.

At present though, I cannot remember the last time I used IRC for the project (though I have done for getting support for a side-project, trying to get GNU/Hurd running on a guinea-pig PC), I hardly ever visit the fora and I spend my main effort on Discord. Yet it is a lot easier to search for past stuff on a forum - as the search facilities are much better there and it is much easier to follow a subject when it has it's own thread - which is something that Discord has only recently adopted and even then has it's limitations...