Question re: files left on desktop using PM Backup Tool

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Question re: files left on desktop using PM Backup Tool

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-04, 23:10

There are two files that appear on my desktop as an aftermath of using the Pale Moon Backup (pmbackup.exe) Tool (i.e. the two files; 7za.exe, pmbackup.ini)
What I get after running Pale Moon Backup
What I get after running Pale Moon Backup
aftermath of PM backup.png (18.3 KiB) Viewed 297 times
I prefer to keep as clean (simple) a desktop as possible.

What are these files for?

Do I need to keep these files?
1) Can I delete them?
2) If not can I move them off the Desktop?

(I don't recall either of these two files showing up on the desktop the last time I ran a PM backup a year ago this month --- FWIW, the current version of the PM Backup Tool in this case is 1.1.1.417)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2022-04-04, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Question re: files left on desktop using PM Backup Tool

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-04, 23:21

As a followup epiphany on why the files are on my desktop -- duh!! I placed the executable there!!!! (this time) :roll: - as opposed to placing it in a file folder and then creating a desktop shortcut (which is what I obviously did previously).

I'm going to move the executable to a file folder (along with the two files) - and create a desktop shortcut for the executable.

Which going forward will undoubtedly retain what files get generated in that folder.

I'm sure this is what I did last time (I reinstalled the pmbackup.exe thinking perhaps it might be a different [more current] release - which it isn't).... egads, I should have deleted the initial post, oh well can't now though... :oops:

.... I guess this topic can serve to explain to others the best way to download the executable. :idea:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question re: files left on desktop using PM Backup Tool

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-05, 02:16

The backup tool generates the .ini file where it is run to store options you set in it, and internally uses the 7zip packer (which is a simple embedded .exe of the (small version of the) 7zip packer that gets extracted to be able to easily call it; I didn't see a point in removing it again when exiting since it's assumed you extract it in a dedicated location).
So yes that's entirely as-expected if you put the actual executable on your desktop instead of in a dedicated normal folder.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite