Pale Moon on Chrome OS

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Pale Moon on Chrome OS

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-27, 21:28

For what it's worth:
I am running PM 29.4.5 64bit on an HP Chromebase via the Linux extensions.
Everything is going well so far.
Thanks to the Debian repositories maintained by Steven Pusser.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Pale Moon on Chrome OS

Unread post by Figueroa » 2022-03-29, 04:02

I recently came into possession of an old Dell Chromebook. I have now desire to run ChromeOS, but I thought I would put Linux on it to see how it works. I went with GalliumOS. That one is a Ubuntu derivative that is targeted at Chromebooks. So not running on ChromeOS, but on their machine. Still playing around with it, but so far so good.

As for PM, I installed the official tarball and it seems to be running just the same as on my Win 7/10 machines. Very happy so far.

I am curious if there is any advantage to running the one contributed by Steve Pusser. I browsed around hi site, but I couldn't find anything that discussed what he was doing differently. Something to do with packaging and updates maybe?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-29, 08:06

Figueroa wrote:
2022-03-29, 04:02
Something to do with packaging and updates maybe?
Yes, so that updates are handled by the distro's package manager instead of the internal one, and for easier desktop integration with shortcuts in the menu. You'll have had to create shortcuts yourself for the tarball version.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-03-29, 08:18

One of the main reasons people would use PM is to get away from big tech like google etc so running PM on a chromebook would seem kind of disingenious and contrary to why PM is used in the first place.i would never use a chromebook and would never recommend it as it is a walled in operating system which is intended to run within the google universe.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-30, 00:03

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-29, 08:06
Yes, so that updates are handled by the distro's package manager instead of the internal one, and for easier desktop integration with shortcuts in the menu. You'll have had to create shortcuts yourself for the tarball version.
Yes, as Moonbat says. It's a somewhat easier process setting things up.

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-30, 00:22

Also:
My intent here was not to recommend or advocate for Chrome OS.
I use multiple machines and operating systems, and they all have their issues.
I'm just pointing out that Pale Moon is an alternative to the Chrome browser for anyone already on a Chromebox of some kind.
It seems like another way to add to the PM user base.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2022-03-30, 00:36

Moonraker wrote:
2022-03-29, 08:18
One of the main reasons people would use PM is to get away from big tech like google etc so running PM on a chromebook would seem kind of disingenious and contrary to why PM is used in the first place.i would never use a chromebook and would never recommend it as it is a walled in operating system which is intended to run within the google universe.
ChromeOS = software (operating system)
Chromebook = hardware

If you take a Chromebook and install GalliumOS Linux on it, you are not inside ChromeOS. You don't even need to have ChromeOS on the machine. Right now I am dual booting until I verify that I can get Gallium working the way I want on the Chromebook. Assuming I am successful, I will wipe ChromeOS off the Chromebook completely. Nothing against those that want to use it, but I prefer to get as far away from Google as possible.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-03-30, 00:37

Moonraker wrote:
i would never use a chromebook and would never recommend it as it is a walled in operating system which is intended to run within the google universe.
Almost sounded like you were talking about Windows for a moment there. :mrgreen:

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2022-03-30, 01:03

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-29, 08:06
Ha! I ended up doing both. Once I got the package installed, I removed the tarball install. I ran Linux previously, but it has been years. Still getting back up to speed.

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-30, 04:02

Moonraker wrote:
it is a walled in operating system which is intended to run within the google universe.
A wall that maybe can be climbed over, tunneled under or have a hole bashed through it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-30, 07:06

Daniel Baran wrote:
2022-03-30, 04:02
A wall that maybe can be climbed over, tunneled under or have a hole bashed through it.
What is so wonderful about it to bother with all that instead of going for literally anything else that isn't a walled garden?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-30, 14:35

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-30, 07:06
Daniel Baran wrote:
What is so wonderful about it to bother with all that instead of going for literally anything else that isn't a walled garden?
I never said it was "wonderful".
As for the "bother with all that" part; it isn't really any harder to set up than on a typical Linux box.
My intent here was not to promote Chrome OS as a platform, but to indicate that Pale Moon appears to run fine on it.
It seems to me that having more choice is a good thing.
Maybe I should not have elaborated on the whole "wall" metaphor.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-03-30, 14:42

Chromebook is nothing more than the chrome browser slapped on top of the linux kernel...yippee i could cook one together on an old 64bit laptop for free.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-03-30, 14:49

Daniel Baran wrote:
2022-03-30, 14:35
As for the "bother with all that" part; it isn't really any harder to set up than on a typical Linux box.
My intent here was not to promote Chrome OS as a platform, but to indicate that Pale Moon appears to run fine on it.
I had an old Chromebook that I rooted and messed with and put Linux on and so forth years ago. It was a fun challenge. Not something I would have used everyday, as its hardware was very poor, making it an aggravating computing experience. But I agree that overcoming those walls is part of the joy of working with projects like Linux or even Pale Moon. If we didn't ever want to be challenged then we would all just be using Chrome or Edge all the time.

00Septimus
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 00Septimus » 2022-03-30, 14:53

Daniel Baran wrote:
Off-topic:
Mr. Google, tear down this wall!

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-30, 15:54

Good one sept; I had the same thought after posting it.
Going forward I will be thinking "back away from the metaphor".

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-03-30, 23:57

Figueroa wrote:
2022-03-30, 00:36
Moonraker wrote:
ChromeOS = software (operating system)
Chromebook = hardware

If you take a Chromebook and install GalliumOS Linux on it, you are not inside ChromeOS. You don't even need to have ChromeOS on the machine. Right now I am dual booting until I verify that I can get Gallium working the way I want on the Chromebook. Assuming I am successful, I will wipe ChromeOS off the Chromebook completely. Nothing against those that want to use it, but I prefer to get as far away from Google as possible.
How do you like GalliumOS? I've always wanted to try it out and VNC into my main system with a cheap Chromebook.

Daniel Baran
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Daniel Baran » 2022-03-31, 02:39

Baloo wrote:
2022-03-30, 23:57

How do you like GalliumOS? I've always wanted to try it out and VNC into my main system with a cheap Chromebook.
Hope we're not going too off-topic here, but I'm also a fan of this sort of tinkering.
GalliumOS is new to me and I will be looking into it.