Default search engine

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
PM-user
Moonbather
Moonbather

Default search engine

Unread post by PM-user » 2022-03-20, 22:10

What is the preferred way of changing the default search bar from Duck to another?

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Default search engine

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-03-20, 22:37

In normal times, Pale Moon’s Web site’s add-ons section has a page with search plug-ins with the most popular engines missing by default. It also has under the extensions subsection the ‘Add as Search Engine’ extension, which can create a unique search option from any Web search box. The add-ons page is down for now for complex reasons, but at any time including now, if you click on the DuckDuckGo icon by the browser’s search box in the navigation bar, you can select another engine from among those included by default. Your choice becomes the new default.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

PM-user
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by PM-user » 2022-03-21, 15:32

Ok thanks. I'll try Ekoru for now. Wanted to try BraveSearch but like you said it can't be added yet.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-03-21, 19:58

In normal times, Pale Moon’s Web site’s add-ons section has a page with search plug-ins with the most popular engines missing by default.
For now (it may change), those search plugins are found here: http://archive.palemoon.org/addons/29.x/searchplugins/

People may also wish to read these threads from the forum's Add-ons section:
Temporary location for Pale Moon 30 add-ons
Temporary location for v29.x add-ons

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2022-03-21, 21:33

There had been a Firefox add-on called "Add to Search Bar". On the developer's page https://firefox.maltekraus.de/extension ... search-bar is described how it works. Unfortunately, the download link to addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3682 is outdated. Maybe you can find it somewhere else.
In my own experience, it has also worked in Pale Moon, at least so far.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-03-21, 22:10

Quorx wrote:
2022-03-21, 21:33
Unfortunately, the download link to addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3682 is outdated. Maybe you can find it somewhere else.
1. Read the post that's right above yours.
2. Then, read the threads linked in it.
3. Lastly, look through the extensions (whose location you'll learn from reading those threads) for the Pale Moon-compatible fork.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2022-03-23, 14:52

Thank you for your teaching. This is how you alienate users who want to help others. :|

Not everyone has the time to search in long listings for something that they don't even know that it exists and what it's called.
You knew that this add-on exists, what name it has, that it is useful for the addressed need and that a compatible version is available in the archive. So why didn't you write exactly that right away?
– The time to look for Easter eggs is not yet there.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-03-23, 16:05

Quorx wrote:
2022-03-23, 14:52
Thank you for your teaching. This is how you alienate users who want to help others. :|
This is the way how to alienate people who are trying to help. :x
Quorx wrote:
Not everyone has the time to search in long listings ...
No time to look up a list for a few seconds but enough time for silly comments.

Great to be spoon-fed by people who don't have anything else better to do. Isn't it?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-24, 03:37

Quorx wrote:
Not everyone has the time to search in long listings for something that they don't even know that it exists and what it's called.
But the rest of us here are just sitting around idle to find things for Your Royal Highness?
Quorx wrote:
You knew that this add-on exists, what name it has, that it is useful for the addressed need and that a compatible version is available in the archive. So why didn't you write exactly that right away?
The level of entitlement on display here, as though you're on some premium customer support channel and not a community entirely run by other equally busy people volunteering their time, is off the charts. And then people say that we forum regulars are 'toxic'.
To turn it around, you know there is a search function here with advanced search that can restrict searching to topic titles or individual sub boards, and you presumably have a higher than room temperature IQ to notice that there is a fucking 'Advanced search' gear icon right beside the search box, so why the hell can't you use it properly to find what you're looking for?

There is enough repetition already of the same few questions about version 30 here due to the current mess up from panicked people who have never used the forum before, all the more reason to use your heaven provided frontal cortex and stop cluttering the place with redundant posts and questions.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-03-24, 03:54

Just for the record, Quorx is not the original poster of this thread. I mention this because some of the posts here jumping down his throat are written as if he were.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-24, 04:13

It is the general attitude of entitlement that I'm addressing in his reply. That too for coffeebreak, who is one of the most helpful and patient people here.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2022-03-24, 04:25

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-24, 03:37
And then people say that we forum regulars are 'toxic'.
Has it occurred to you that, with your organ grinder having done a runner, that you yourself might consider reducing your own levels of "toxicity" here?

I doubt it has. But it would be nice if it would.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-24, 04:36

You mean telling people to search the damn forum before repeating questions that have been asked several times before, or including the requested troubleshooting information (many geniuses won't even provide the link of the website that isn't working until prompted!!) is 'toxic'? Who knew.
I mean it's not as though I've ever helped anyone here is it.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2022-03-24, 05:04

I'm simply suggesting that replying to newbies with courtesy rather than abusive language might assist in helping to reduce external perceptions of "forum reg toxicity"
Your mileage clearly varies

Since the dawn of time, newbies have posted questions to relevant fora that are answered by the FAQ. And it is interesting to observe how regs cope with that.

There are few things easier on the internet than insulting a newbie

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-03-24, 05:09

None of this argumentation has anything to do with the OP's original question which was solved long ago without any help from the current debaters. It would seem that there would be better threads and sub-forums for this fight if it is to continue.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-24, 08:06

doofy wrote:
2022-03-24, 05:04
There are few things easier on the internet than insulting a newbie
One of those things is for said newbie to follow the basics of netiquette (that long forgotten concept) of lurking for a while and if not that, reading the FAQ of any online community they join. Thereby saving time for themselves as well as for others on the forum instead of going back and forth for information they should've provided up front. If you think telling users to read and search before asking questions is 'toxic' wait till you discover Reddit with its Hitleresque mods who will ban you at the drop of a hat for going against the groupthink prevalent on every sub.

This isn't some paid customer support, as I said earlier. Everyone here is volunteering their time and a new person should respect that by searching first and providing complete information as requested so that one can immediately get to the crux of the problem and suggest a fix. This is extremely basic knowledge for the internet, which has been around for more than a generation now. There's zero excuse for anyone to not follow this common courtesy.

And as for me, I have always been helpful to those who have put in the effort to write a proper post with the required console errors, link to site etc. I would rather help such people (of which there are plenty here) than waste my limited time playing 20 questions with those who can't even bother to (for example) mention the URL of the site they're having a problem with.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-03-24, 11:40

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-24, 08:06
One of those things is for said newbie to follow the basics of netiquette (that long forgotten concept)
... or actually taking note of the forum rules for that matter.
They do agree to these when signing up, and hey, guess what, one of the major rules is to prevent duplicate posts and use search.
https://forum.palemoon.org/app.php/rules#rule-5a

Still, we all know that reading has become a lost art to many if it exceeds 140 characters (thanks, Twitter!), and the proper response would just be to roll your eyes, tell them to search, and not answer the question there and then further rewarding the lack of effort. Takes a few seconds and you can avoid this kind of poorly-looking debate "how to treat users" that should be rather self-explanatory.
Netiquette also prescribes that you are at least somewhat forgiving to new members of a venue who might not be fully versed in things yet (not everyone has time to use the suggested lurking period, especially not when they have a direct question). To what level you are depends on you, but do keep it in the back of your mind. Pointing out the rules is fine, maybe they will read it this time. Entitled questions don't have to be answered. This is volunteer effort after all and if someone is being an ass in the door, they just don't deserve your time. So don't give it to them.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-24, 11:52

Admin wrote:
2022-03-24, 11:40
Entitled questions don't have to be answered. This is volunteer effort after all and if someone is being an ass in the door, they just don't deserve your time. So don't give it to them.
I usually ignore such posts but the response to coffeebreak, who is unarguably one of the most helpful people here, deserved a reply.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-03-24, 11:55

I was speaking in general.
If posts do go out of their way to be negative, are disproportionately entitled or unacceptable in tone, another option is to just report the offending post to staff, and it will be taken care of appropriately.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"