How to keep bookmark folder drop down open after selection

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
expat42451
New to the forum
New to the forum

How to keep bookmark folder drop down open after selection

Unread post by expat42451 » 2022-01-11, 22:31

Hello to all. First thanks for the great browser. I moved to Pale Moon first on my Linux laptop after seeing what a pig some of those other browsers are. I run, in my work, a row of bookmark folders in the bookmarks toolbar. Typically I will open 2-3 bookmarks out of a folder at a time (select +w to open it in a new tab). What I would like to be able to do is force the dropdown menu to stay open after a selection where I can get to the next couple of bookmarks.

I did a search both here and using DuckDuckGo to try to find the answer before posting this. I am running Pale Moon on 3 different systems, 2 multi monitor Linux desktops and a Linux laptop. If I am asking a commonly posed question that I did not find the answer to because of improperly worded search terms, please accept my apologies.

Regards and many thanks.....particularly for a fast, lightweight browser.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How to keep bookmark folder drop down open after selection

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-12, 14:11

This sounds like a job for an extension.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-12, 15:08

I think there was an old one for Firefox that did that. But I can't remember the name. It may have been for menus in general rather than just bookmarks. I know not much help.

The Bookmarks Sidebar is another option. That's exactly what it's for. Takes up a little screen room temporarily but it's easy to toggle with the built-in button.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-01-12, 15:18

expat42451 wrote:I would like to be able to force the dropdown menu to stay open after a selection where I can get to the next couple of bookmarks.
AFAIAA there isn't a 'bookmark folder stays open after a selection' option built-into Pale Moon.

Workaround? The nearest 'workaround' available would be to use the Bookmarks Sidebar (Ctrl + B) as Michaell suggests above. The Bookmarks Sidebar is a 'sticky' menu... and it will stay open until closed.

Add Extension? I can't see an extension listed in Pale Moon's 'Bookmarks & Tabs' Add-ons repository that does this job? Perhaps someone else will know if this function is an option hidden within one of large and complex Tab Add-ons like Tab Mix Plus?

However, whilst looking around this subject I came across many discussion links one of which was a huge Mozillazine topic for an extension aimed exactly at creating the 'menu stays open' functionality desired... see Mozillazine's '[ext] Stay-Open Menu' topic: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=633732.

Somewhat to my surprise there is also a 'legacy for Pale Moon version' provided by the Add-on Developer with a link on the Mozillazine topic's 1st page... see: 'Stay-Open Menu for PaleMoon & Seamonkey (legacy)': https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/stay-open-menu/... which can be installed and works.

Adding the 'Open in a new Tab (Context Menu item)' option worked best for me. :D

Stay-Open Menu for PaleMoon - options page.png
Stay-Open Menu for PaleMoon - Options page (as downloaded).

BTW/FWIW - Apparently the 'leave bookmarks menu open when I middle click or ctrl click a bookmark' option was a 'most requested' Firefox UI enhancement... see Bugzilla's Bug 260611: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260611... which eventually resulted in a new about:config preference 'browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu' being added to Firefox 14 years after the bug was opened! :) That was about 4 years ago... long, long after Pale Moon had forked away.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2022-01-12, 16:05, edited 5 times in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-12, 15:21

Not sure I understand.
Bookmarks can be in the bookmarks menu or in the bookmarks toolbar, and can also be accessed via the "organize bookmark" library or the "bookmark sidebar".
And bookmarks can be arranged in folders (menus) and nested folders.
For instance I have 9 items in the bookmarks toolbar, 6 of which are menus (the other 3 are my computer manual, a transfer area, and my router). 5 of the 6 menus contain only submenus (which stay open and can be navigated with arrows until one bookmark is selected).
The bookmarks menu contains a list of mixed groups separated by separators of which at least 8 are menus.
I never use the sidebar, but that should meet your request of staying always on the screen (as it does the library, which I use mainly for maintenance ... and I often forget open hidden behind other windows :mrgreen: ).
Pale Moon already has a good variety of ways of dealing with bookmarks.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-12, 17:37

Blacklab wrote:
2022-01-12, 15:18
... an extension aimed exactly at creating the 'menu stays open' functionality desired
Thanks. I searched CAA on "stay open" but it didn't find it because of the dash. Just "stay" however would have worked. Not sure I can remember for very long the intricacies of the CAA search, though.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24