Does K-Meleon hurt the Palemoon project or violate licenses?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Does K-Meleon hurt the Palemoon project or violate licenses?

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-01-10, 06:12

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-10, 06:07
Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-01-10, 05:13
there IS a case of windows 7 being what they wished XP would be and be future-proof indefininitely
Wish this applied to 7 :(
Unfortunately 7 will go the way of XP once Microsoft ends their extended paid support (if they haven't already). Metro UI is an unforgivable abomination, Vista wasn't as bad by contrast. 7 is what Vista should've been without the bugs. And now 10 is actively hostile to the user by resetting default apps and updates that can bork your installation.
Yes i agree there will be risks in the future when extended support dies, even if i'm willing to take them. I understand most users and people who use the OS now and those that have dropped it will not be interested in taking the risks and face the consequences involved if things go bad, and they are right about that because they may have very sensitive personal data and networks that cannot be put at risk to play a security guerrilla warfare to stay online on 7... :(

It was released in 2001. It was the first unified Windows after they got rid of the 9x/Me codebase and built exclusively on the NT kernel, like 2000 before it.

Yes i know. But i feel Windows XP still is too dependent on earlier architectural, technological view/resources inside the system and codebase from earlier NT versions. I have the opinion that things changed so heavily from 2001 to 2009 and the release of Seven. Windows XP lacks too much...

jameson

Re: Does K-Meleon hurt the Palemoon project or violate licenses?

Unread post by jameson » 2022-01-10, 20:19

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-08, 12:53
Off-topic:
(Puppy Linux is one such, I believe)
If we are consider Pentium4-class machine, then the latest Debian with LXDE environment is very usable and run surprisingly fast as Windows XP replacement. However, lacking of proprietary Nvidia drivers for PCIe based video cards for current kernels is pain in the neck. For example Google Earth Pro application won't run using Nouveau driver. I am using such a "refurbished" 15 years-old machine equipped with 2GB of RAM and it is running 64bit Debian 11. Overall experience is very similar to the Raspberry Pi 3 machine.