Mozilla is getting into crypto.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Mozilla is getting into crypto.

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-01-04, 05:41

On New Year's Eve, Mozilla made this Tweet announcing their intent to accept donations in cryptocurrency.

The founder responded and he is NOT happy.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Mozilla is getting into crypto.

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-04, 05:44

Ooh, JWZ himself!
Also, totally not surprised to see them focusing on everything other than their shitty browser.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-04, 07:58

Unfortunately this does legitimise the use of planet-destroying volatile virtual currency more. But I guess they only care about the people, not the planet...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-01-07, 01:14

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-07, 01:32

ghacks has an article that says Norton 360 is running a cryptominer - to me that's a lot worse
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-01-07, 05:44

Michaell wrote:
2022-01-07, 01:32
ghacks has an article that says Norton 360 is running a cryptominer - to me that's a lot worse
But how is Norton associated with Mozilla?
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-01-07, 05:46

Michaell wrote:
2022-01-07, 01:32
To me it's all the same abuse and blatant crypto-token propaganda all over again. But... well... mozilla is a foundation with... principles? :?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-07, 12:04

Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-01-07, 05:46
But... well... mozilla is a foundation with... principles? :?
Mozilla is a Corporation and their "principles" are mostly SJW-soothing PR to benefit their bottom line.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-01-07, 14:09

Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-07, 12:04
Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-01-07, 05:46
But... well... mozilla is a foundation with... principles? :?
Mozilla is a Corporation and their "principles" are mostly SJW-soothing PR to benefit their bottom line.
Can you imagine that i (sorry for getting into politics as well), as a leftist, think they are one of the biggest corporate manipulative liars that ever existed? They simply want to appease people from the techie center-left (mostly ignorant, not well read and lazy militants, no intellectuals or academia there) and drive them to the corporate "center-left", which are the same who try to say they really do anything about the planet, minorities and stuff. It's just a classic way to create artificial or brain dead supporters and make you look like you are still a foundation which fights for something remotely close to what it was created for (which was definitely not quarter profits).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-08, 13:00

Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-01-07, 14:09
they are one of the biggest corporate manipulative liars that ever existed?
Pretty much turned to shit after ousting their CEO Brendan Eich (the creator of Javascript, no less, who went and created Brave browser) and bringing in the SJW crowd. It's a fair bet that none of the current fanboys have used it before 2011 when it started going to the dogs by aping Chrome. Mozilla fanboys are the biggest masochists around, finding all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify the 'privacy respecting' narrative that wears thinner every day.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-01-10, 02:51

Related in a subtle - or not so much subtle - way could be the news that the Linux Mint team, as mentioned in a blog comment by the team leader Clement Lefebvre, has started a new partnership with Mozilla which has already broken a few things for users who upgraded to the beta version of Mint 20.3 Una:
We’re starting a new partnership with Mozilla. [...] 20.3 got this update to Firefox during its BETA ahead of other releases. As part of the partnership we’re removing most of the changes we made to Firefox and moving towards a configuration which is in line with Mozilla’s defaults. Studies were disabled by us in the past, they’re enabled by default by Mozilla. Yahoo (or Startpage/DuckDuckGo) were default in Mint in the past, Google is default now with Mozilla.
The way I see things, Linux is becoming more and more like Windows (more ugly, more abstract, more limiting in options, more update-centric) while the Internet becomes more and more like a walled garden where Google is the warden. This is extremely worrying because freedom is dying. :(

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-01-10, 04:45

Drugwash wrote:
2022-01-10, 02:51
Related in a subtle - or not so much subtle - way could be the news that the Linux Mint team, as mentioned in a blog comment by the team leader Clement Lefebvre, has started a new partnership with Mozilla which has already broken a few things for users who upgraded to the beta version of Mint 20.3 Una:
We’re starting a new partnership with Mozilla. [...] 20.3 got this update to Firefox during its BETA ahead of other releases. As part of the partnership we’re removing most of the changes we made to Firefox and moving towards a configuration which is in line with Mozilla’s defaults. Studies were disabled by us in the past, they’re enabled by default by Mozilla. Yahoo (or Startpage/DuckDuckGo) were default in Mint in the past, Google is default now with Mozilla.
The way I see things, Linux is becoming more and more like Windows (more ugly, more abstract, more limiting in options, more update-centric) while the Internet becomes more and more like a walled garden where Google is the warden. This is extremely worrying because freedom is dying. :(
I have the view that Linux as of today is inadequate in big distros and simply impractical, hardware-unfriendly and messy in smaller distros, at least when we talk about laptop, low power computers (me), or even desktops. I know many people live and do everything on them, but, i do feel constrained.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-01-10, 08:52

@drugwash.
I use linux but is not one of the major distros and so there is no continual updates as such.My system is static and frozen and i can update apps like the browser etc at my leisure so new breaking features are not an issue.
I have used puppy linux for many years and nothing has ever broken or has there been any compromises.

Updates to me just signify a lack of choice and perpetual bloat.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-10, 12:07

Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2022-01-10, 04:45

I have the view that Linux as of today is inadequate in big distros and simply impractical, hardware-unfriendly and messy in smaller distros, at least when we talk about laptop, low power computers (me), or even desktops. I know many people live and do everything on them, but, i do feel constrained.
I think you're speaking for yourself and what you need, like or want in Linux.

I have been using one of the bigger distros, Mint since late 2012 when Windows 8 was released in October of 2012. With Windows 8, I knew immediately what direction Microsoft was going to go in the next few years and my view was correct when when Windows 10 was released in 2015 and which I wanted no part of.

I have four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). And all four of them are now running 64 bit Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce. All four of my computers were bought between the years 2010 and 2013. You are correct when you say "many people do everything on them". I do everything on them since I do not need any Windows only software.

The desktop tower I'm typing this post on was built for me by Hewlett-Packard back in late May of 2010 and delivered to my home by FedEX, in June of 2010. It is the oldest of my four computers and it is an HPE-170t model desktop tower. It has an old Intel i7 processor in it (Sandy Bridge) with a processor speed of 2.80, 16 GB for memory and it came with an old Nvidia graphics card.

My ISP is Comcast and I live in the northern boundary of Comcast's service area in a small rural town in southeast Texas. My download speed is 324 Mbps with an upload speed of 11.94 Mbps which is fast enough for me since the pages or sites show up in less than a second of time on this old beast.

Not too shabby for a desktop tower which has been my work horse for the past eleven and half years. During that time, I've replaced the Nvidia graphics card and went to an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card. I've also replaced the power supply and two hard drives in that time since it has two hard drives in it's two hard drive bay. Linux Mint has not been "inadequate" which is how you described Linux in the bigger distros which are your quoted words above.

If people are using a smaller linux distro and they aren't happy with that smaller distro, they should be reminded they chose that smaller distro for whatever reason. As for a laptop, my HP dv4-5113cl laptop has 16 GB of memory in it with a processor speed of 2.50. I bought that laptop on eBay in the summer of 2012 for $249 (US dollars). I forget at the moment what onboard graphics chip is on the motherboard. It originally came loaded with 64 bit Windows 7. And it runs linux Mint just as fast as Windows 7 without any problems.

So speaking strictly for myself, I did my homework for a laptop when I was going to replace Windows 7 with a linux distro. I knew what the likely problems would be if I chose a smaller linux distro so I didn't choose a smaller linux distro. And when it comes to running Mint; it is "not" impractical, "not" hardware-unfriendly and definitely "not" messy in a bigger distro for the dv4-5113cl laptop.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2022-01-10, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-01-10, 12:36

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-10, 12:07
Eduardo Lucas wrote:

I have been using one of the bigger distros, ...
Moderator note: excessive quoting removed.

I think a reasonable number of users who are capable of living with linux daily but would have significant restrictions in their daily activities because of the time required to fine tune things and simple users alike who cannot easily follow the learning path will be constrained. It's not only about me, as i have other factors into play (such as liking how things work and general workflow in windows). I was trying to be respectful (by restricting it to my own, long experience with laptop .nix usage and experiences) and not drawn myself too offtopic. Sorry for being offensive to linux users, if i was.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-01-10, 12:51

Off-topic:
I've been using Mint 19 Cinnamon for two years. Currently on 19.2 and that's how it's gonna stay. It has gm10's tools - the topic of which has been completely wiped out from the forums for some reason - and wouldn't risk losing that. Plus the 20.x line eliminated titlebar buttons that I use (Menu, Sticky, Shade), and the 21.x line will do away with metacity, which means my ported theme which I worked on for months will simply cease to work. The lot of bugs and design mistakes pair just "fine" with the continuous removal of options and choices from version to version.

The only machine in the house that can deal with today's Linux is this notebook, a 2009 model Samsung R580 with an upgraded i5 CPU and 4GB RAM (max allowed by chipset) - all the rest are 32bit CPUs, most Pentium I to III and one Pentium 4 that used to run XP. But it quickly hits the RAM ceiling sometimes, because today 4GB of RAM are like nothing, and despite all the flatness and aparent simplicity and continuous removal of options, software is more and more resource hungry while not offering anything actually useful in return.

But this is already off-topic.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-10, 17:09

Off-topic:
@ Eduardo Lucas

This is getting a little off topic for this topic thread so I hope this will be my last post in this thread.

You weren't being offensive to me.

Most people think people have to know the command line commands using the linux Terminal to use linux and this is definitely not true. I am NOT a power user in linux. I'm just a non-technical user. After playing around with Mint 13 for around 45 minutes the first time I used it back in December of 2012, after being used to using Windows 7, I was quite comfortable using Mint during those 45 minutes.

People who are/were in love with Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and now 11 think one has to be very proficient to use the Terminal in linux to get things done in linux. Maybe in some linux distros, but not in every linux distro. I started using Mint 13 over 9 years ago. In this 9 year time frame; I've only had (been forced) to use the Terminal, since there was no other way at that time, with the linux commands a "total of 6 times". That comes down to using the Terminal in Mint for "LESS than 1 time per year".

I will give an example and this will directly pertain to using linux Pale Moon in Mint. When I was using Windows 7, I always installed windows Pale Moon. But when I wanted to use linux Pale Moon which was released in January of 2014, I didn't want to use the Terminal in Mint to install it. An online friend told me I could use linux Pale Moon "without having Pale Moon being installed so I could get away from using the linux Terminal".

He gave me detailed instructions on how to start Pale Moon using the executable file in Pale Moon. All I had to do was make the Pale Moon launcher icon which was found in the Pale Moon image files in the extracted Pale Moon folder from the Pale Moon tarball which I had downloaded. And he gave those detailed instructions too.

His instructions worked and I made sure to make a few written copies (pen & paper) of those instructions and placed them in a few paper notebooks (just in case I lost a notebook). Why did I write them down? Just in case I had a stroke and lost some of my memory. So my linux Pale Moon is "not" installed in Mint. And I've never had any problems using linux Pale Moon in Mint. I manually update linux Pale Moon, but that takes less than two minutes of time. I figure if I do not to do that anymore, then I've gotten stinking lazy because that is what it boils down to.

But being a member on this site, I've seen so many people having trouble installing linux Pale Moon in the linux distro of their choice. There is an easier way which is the way I use it. But most people will ignore this way. Fine with me. That is their choice so after I tell them there is an easier way and they don't want to try it, I just sit back and view their comments which contain a lot of frustration and aggravation in them. But they made the choice to use the linux Terminal to install linxu Pale Moon.

Oh, one last item. Mozilla may be thinking of installing crypto mining in their Firefox browsers, but the developers of many linux distros will strip that out of their default Firefox browsers. Mark my words, those antivirus programs which are going to crypto mining, (Avast, Avira, etc) used to protect the Windows operating systems to generate money for the AV companies, I imagine Microsoft "is seeing dollar signs in their eyeballs" figuring MS could could do that same thing with their Windows Defender AV program and also with the MS Edge browser and no one should be surprised if they do the same.

And I've never used any antivirus program in Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-10, 19:39

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-10, 12:07
Eduardo Lucas wrote:

Off-topic:
In my institute we have been happily on Linux (Suse/OpenSuse) for some 18 years (coming from previous Sun and DEC Unixes, and other now forgotten OS's) for almost all machines used by the research staff (administration and a few workshop people use Win). Recently for new machines we switched to Xubuntu. Some people use Mac laptops (for the ... former ? ... similarity to Unix). I used until very recently both OpenSuse and Xubuntu also on a very low power laptop (which was born as an offline glorified typewriter), and it was all-right to be used as a remote terminal and to run/develop simple programs. It was all-right as a glorified typewriter (libre office) under OpenSuse, but started being memory impaired under Xubuntu, unclear to me whether that was due to the OS or the newer libre office version. What definitely got memory impaired are browsers (or better, the requests web sites full of javascripts make on the browser).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

KiaraKiwa
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by KiaraKiwa » 2022-01-24, 10:25

They were to involve users "We look forward to having this conversation and appreciate our community for bringing this to our attention"

DaviBrons
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by DaviBrons » 2022-02-02, 11:51

Not only founder is NOT happy https://twitter.com/jwz/status/14780220 ... ski-2022-1
Peter Linss, the founder of Gecko — the Mozilla-launched engine that powers the internet browser — tweeted in support of Zawinski