Internet Becomming Hostile to Pale Moon

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Internet Becomming Hostile to Pale Moon

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-02-17, 10:20

I have a Gmail email account.

I just came from Gmail. I checked my emails, didn't have any and then went to the Calendar to see what tasks I have for today (Thursday the 17th) and had no problems with the Calendar.

At this time, I am using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 29.4.4 running in 64 linux Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce. I only use one extension in Pale Moon and that is uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30 and it is enabled for Gmail.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2022-02-17, 15:41

moonbat wrote:
2022-02-17, 05:43
Off-topic:
Amazing and depressing how 'the internet' for so many people means just Google, Facebook and their various properties, or video/audio chat which deserves to be a separate application.
I, myself, stay away from Google whenever I can. I have some legacy email addresses that I use, mainly, to redirect spam. I do wish that there was a decent search engine that was independent from Google. DuckDuckGo is a Google scraper. StartPage, I think, is no longer a scraper. Then, there's always DogPile ... :-)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-02-17, 16:14

Shadeclan wrote:
2022-02-17, 15:41
DuckDuckGo is a Google scraper.
Absolutely not. They actively stay away from Google!
DuckDuckGo gets its results from over four hundred sources. These include hundreds of vertical sources delivering niche Instant Answers, DuckDuckBot (our crawler) and crowd-sourced sites (like Wikipedia, stored in our answer indexes). We also of course have more traditional links in the search results, which we also source from multiple partners, though most commonly from Bing (and none from Google).
Source: https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo- ... s/sources/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2022-02-17, 18:33

Moonchild wrote:
2022-02-17, 16:14
Shadeclan wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a Google scraper.
Absolutely not. They actively stay away from Google!
DuckDuckGo gets its results from over four hundred sources. These include hundreds of vertical sources delivering niche Instant Answers, DuckDuckBot (our crawler) and crowd-sourced sites (like Wikipedia, stored in our answer indexes). We also of course have more traditional links in the search results, which we also source from multiple partners, though most commonly from Bing (and none from Google).
Source: https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo- ... s/sources/
Thanks, Moonchild - old data.

MrMobodies
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by MrMobodies » 2022-02-17, 21:12

It was through Palemoon I noticed Duckduckgo I think in about 2018.

Didn't think much of it at the time but pleased with it now and more respect for the user preference than Google will ever do such as these:

Autocomplete Suggestions off
Header Behaviour on a scrolling (I want header to go away as I scroll down the page)
Page width normal
URL Format Full url
Theme basic
Font size small.

Always seem nice and quick.

Edit: I notice a lot of nonsense happening today with BBC weather website that caused Palemoon to hang for about 5 seconds constantly trying to load stuff through a series of links to it's other sites:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

Just localhost:
127.0.0.1 weather-broker0cdn.api.bbci.co.uk
127.0.0.1 api.bbci

but so many others under that domain that the webpage kept trying to load stuff from.
Decided to localhost the whole thing.
127.0.0.1 bbci.co.uk

Much better. Page loaded instantly without hanging and stopped loading anything else after the contents were displayed.
The crap above was not needed for anything on that page showing the weather forecast.

Very bad/hostile behaviour coming from the BBC.

Actually it was still attempting to load:
Can't block everything from bbci.co.uk as it contains the website decorations and not sure why it doesn't do it when set localhost but these work with Adblock:
||weather-brokercdn.api.bbci.co.uk
||mybbc-analytics.files.bbci.co.uk

That solves the problem.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-02-18, 00:16

Shadeclan wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a Google scraper. StartPage, I think, is no longer a scraper.
You got that exactly backwards. Startpage in addition got acquired by an advertising/tracking company a few years ago.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2022-02-18, 17:52

moonbat wrote:
2022-02-18, 00:16
Shadeclan wrote:
DuckDuckGo is a Google scraper. StartPage, I think, is no longer a scraper.
You got that exactly backwards. Startpage in addition got acquired by an advertising/tracking company a few years ago.
Nuts! They were doing so well, too. :cry:

MrMobodies
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by MrMobodies » 2022-02-24, 01:52

I was searching for something, came across Linkedin, found and removed some new excessive UI crap that I was finding hostile to exprerience just like the ones I hid before. I don't use it to advertise or look for work or anything serious I just use it to look up information on people when it requires "signing in".

I thought I'd test it with Palemoon.

See attachment.
Nothing on the header bar in Palemoon.

I did disable adblock just incase it was an element I hid and any scripts.

That is Chrome 74 with a separate profile that I use just for testing to pause (f8) in developer tools and identify unwanted things before they quickly disappear as it doesn't seem to work in the new releases apart from when the sources tab is open and active by which time it is too late and culprit element has disappeared.

One good thing about the Adblock in Palemoon, when I select an element, it hides temporarily with a window detailing other elements associated to it and better yet, I can go back and can select another element like the one behind it (with the first temporarily hidden) and so on until I find the culprit which is handy for things like gradients where many of them seem to cover up and obscure half of the thumbnails way past the text where I can't see the picture thumbnail clearly.

But it doesn't matter I wouldn't use Linkedin as other people had been encouraging me. I did have a personal account under my real name until 2017 where they made some changes, a fixed header, sticky panes, lots of white space, oversized stuff/very bloated looking and nowhere to leave feedback so I closed my personal account at the time. I find it seems look tidier now than back then but now suffers with the preloading screen thing, animated placeholders skeletons and the spinners that I don't remember seeing back then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-02-24, 11:44

MrMobodies wrote:
2022-02-24, 01:52
Linkedin...not working
See LinkedIn.com Not Working

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...