Ublock Origin vs AB Prime

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Ublock Origin vs AB Prime

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-27, 10:56

I'm just curious about this. Is the difference between them is only that ublock is blocking all kind of ads & malicious content/has a bigger scope, while ABP only about ads? Or there is more?
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Ublock Origin vs AB Prime

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-27, 13:24

You can use whichever one you fancy but ensure you use only one adblocker extension, whether one of these two or something else. Both of them are roughly the same in terms of features, but the filter list syntax they use is different. ABPrime uses the syntax of the old Adblock Plus that it's based on while uBlock has its own syntax.
You can find filter lists for both of them here, each list is marked with all the adblockers that it is compatible with. Remember that any adblocker is only as good as the filters it has, so if you subscribe to the popular ones (Easylist, Fanboy etc), you should be well covered regardless of the adblocker you use.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-01-08, 01:51

How about the creator? I heard that Ublock is forked by Justoff for Pale Moon, which is strange considering he's leaving the forum months ago, is it true? Maybe its better to use ABPrime/ABL?
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-08, 03:54

It's still on Gorhill's github project page. You can look at contributions there if you want. About equal for Gorhill and JustOff for 2021. That's really not the best way to decide what extension to use. Even if JustOff had forked it (appears that he's a contributor not owner), his extensions are good. The forum quarrel wasn't about quality of his stuff. I use it all day everyday and appreciate that it's still maintained. But you do you.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24