Req: Calendar software recs

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Req: Calendar software recs

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-12-22, 19:41

Does anyone know of a calendar program that satisfies these requirements?
- local client, not web-based
- full-screen calendar interface, not desktop widget nor browser plugin
- read+write two-way sync with both CalDav calendars and Google calendars, not read-only one-way subscribe to iCal file
- does not include other junk like weather feeds
- one-time purchase or zero-cost, not paid subscription
- not an Outlook lookalike / workalike
- traditional rich visual interface, not dumbed-down flat non-discoverable Win10 style

My first choice VueMinder does not speak CalDav, and my second choice Interlink's Lightning seems to not speak Google. Can't stand two sets of notifications going off at the same time.

Apps in this ballpark:
- Sunbird standalone version of Lightning / abandoned by Mozilla (?)
- Lightning open source, XPI only (?)
- VueMinder Pro $50 once, plus one-time or subscription fee for updates
- Rainlender Pro €10 once
- Morgen $9 per month
- Aeris Calender $20 once, except 15% off during sales/promotionals, like end-of-year / now

I'm never able to fully evaluate the various free versions before the trial periods run out, and I can't figure out how to re-set the timeouts, so I don't know enough how well these other possibilities meet or fail my requirements.

Also can't figure out how to work the "provider for Google calendar" XPIs-etc that are supposed to enable two-way sync with Ggl in Sunbird and Thunderbird's Lightning. Might try again in Thunderbird's Lightning for practice. I understand there is no such thing available for Interlink's Lightning? (On Android, this feature is either built in to the clients, or easy to set up once and forget its existence.)

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Req: Calendar software recs

Unread post by Michaell » 2021-12-22, 20:48

I use UK's Kalendar (his name is Ulrich Krebs). It's been around a long time; don't recall where I d/l'ed it from. It is more like old fashioned Windows programs than the modern stuff. Small and stays out of the way. It may not be under development anymore (homepage has nothing but a paragraph, no download links). Sunbird is good enough for me, but I've been using Kalendar because it uses even less memory.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-23, 02:33

If they charge a subscription then that's not local by definition. More shame if the subscription doesn't include sync with their server.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2021-12-23, 10:07

Michaell wrote:
2021-12-22, 20:48
I use UK's Kalendar (his name is Ulrich Krebs). It's been around a long time; don't recall where I d/l'ed it from. It is more like old fashioned Windows programs than the modern stuff. Small and stays out of the way. It may not be under development anymore (homepage has nothing but a paragraph, no download links). Sunbird is good enough for me, but I've been using Kalendar because it uses even less memory.
I've used this for several years and it is very good and highly customisable.
http://www.ukrebs-software.de/
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-12-23, 17:32

Morgen looks promising, thanks for sharing.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-28, 01:47

The current Mozilla Thunderbird support Google Calendar & Caldav too.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-28, 01:53

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-12-22, 19:41
Also can't figure out how to work the "provider for Google calendar" XPIs-etc that are supposed to enable two-way sync with Ggl in Sunbird and Thunderbird's Lightning.
Version 3.3 of this works with Interlink, I'm easily able to sync with it.
After you install it, open a calendar tab, rightclick on the left pane and select 'New calendar', like so:
Interlink-calendar.png
In the wizard that pops up, you'll see an extra option for a Google calendar, select that, click next, enter your email address and then it will take you to an Oauth login page where you can grant access to it. After that, your calendar will appear in the list of calendars as in the screenshot.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-01-01, 04:47

Moonbat, I see you also use Disroot caldav. Does it work for you (in interlink)? I have tinkered with it for the last month and haven't figure it out.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-02, 04:29

No, doesn't work. Had tried to add it before but it doesn't connect.