Does the GUID do this?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Does the GUID do this?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-17, 21:46

Of course, this post is because of the upcoming changes to Pale Moon. Also, to the computer initiated, this may seem like a stupid question, but I was taught there is no such thing as stupid questions (only stupid answers). So my question is this: Does the GUID identify the browser to websites, i.e., when Pale Moon switches to Firefox's GUID, will Pale Moon then identify itself to websites as Firefox, or not? Thanks.

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Does the GUID do this?

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-12-17, 22:03

That's useragent.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-19, 01:06

No, it has nothing to do with websites. Every XUL application (FF*, PM, Interlink, Thunderbird, Chatzilla, Ambassador are all examples) needs an identifier, even one that does not access the internet. Any extension made for these applications has to advertise itself within the targetApplication section of the install.rdf file to indicate which one it supports. An e extension can support multiple applications (implying that the author intended for them to work with them, for example earlier the same one would be available for both FF and Thunderbird)

* - Even though it may not be a proper one now.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-19, 02:47

Okay. Thanks to both of you. This was a huge concern of mine since the "big announcement." I don't want a browser that would identify itself to websites as Firefox. I can live with this.