Many PM Instances on Control Panel & Settings (Windows 10)

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Many PM Instances on Control Panel & Settings (Windows 10)

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-11-05, 11:42

If I installed a fresh copy of PM (let's say 29.0.0), I have one Instances in Control Panel. I can select them, and uninstall them (u know that Programs and features menu right).

Then... something weird happened. After a few update, (29.0.0 --> 29.1.1 --> 29.4.0), there are multiple instances of Pale Moon on Control Panel. It didn't cause any issues though, but it cluttered my CP & Windows Settings.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Many PM Instances on Control Panel & Settings (Windows 10)

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-11-06, 15:02

Orphaned entries in the Windows Add/Remove Programs list was an occasional 'known problem' in XP/Vista/Win7 and older versions of Windows. However, not aware of any reports of the same 'orphaned program entries' problem existing in later Windows versions. Windows 10 should detect the problem and actually ask if you want to remove an orphaned entry.

You can only have one instance of Pale Moon running (unless you have made quite deliberate efforts to do otherwise)... so if latest Pale Moon version working normally perhaps this is one of those times to leave things alone unless the 'ghost' program entries are a particular annoyance.

If the orphaned entries do annoy then I would consider a full uninstall/reinstall of Pale Moon if that was the only affected program (saving your existing bookmarks or whole Pale Moon profile first)... and also run Windows 10's System File Checker (SFC) scannow command as you would seem to have a random error/feature not working correctly in your installation of Windows 10.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Many PM Instances on Control Panel & Settings (Windows 10)

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-13, 03:16

Thanks, solved by itself.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me