Audio aliasing

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Audio aliasing

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-09-06, 19:15

I have noticed some loud clicks at the start and end of audio clips on Duolingo. This is quite likely more of a system issue than browser issue. But while looking for some audio test things I found this page:
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_aliasing.php
Both Firefox and Pale Moon display aliasing (a strange tuning a radio rising and falling weird siren type sound) during the test but Chromium doesn't. This could also be more of a system issue too, but who knows. Using Linux & Alsa, no Pulse. Just wondered if it was interesting given the recent audio discussions.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Audio aliasing

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2021-09-06, 21:24

I hear no aliasing artifacts neither in PM nor in FF on my system.
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-07, 08:45

Sounds fine to me on my crappy on-board realtek audio and 2.1 speakers on Windows 10.
Maybe you want to check the output frequency set for your device. Certainly doesn't seem to be anything on our end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

plushkava
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by plushkava » 2021-09-17, 03:07

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-09-06, 19:15
Both Firefox and Pale Moon display aliasing (a strange tuning a radio rising and falling weird siren type sound) during the test but Chromium doesn't. This could also be more of a system issue too, but who knows. Using Linux & Alsa, no Pulse.
In the event that you are relying upon ALSA's software-based mixing, everything must be resampled to a particular frequency (usually 48 kHz). By default, ALSA tries to make use of the speexrate resampler, if available. This is a good, fast resampler. Otherwise, it resorts to using a crude linear resampler. The speexrate resampler is implemented as a plugin that is provided by alsa-plugins, so you should install this package if necessary. Beyond that, you could try coercing the use of the speexrate plugin by defining the following setting in /etc/asound.conf.

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "speexrate_medium"

I'm not sure why Chromium would behave as expected for a "no pulse" setup, because it's not really designed to work effectively without pulseaudio (which also uses speexrate).

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-09-17, 20:44

Installing alsa-plugins has fixed this, the aliasing artifacts are gone now. Thank you for this solution.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...