RAM requirements of modern browsers

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: RAM requirements of modern browsers

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-27, 11:21

What you might be able to get away with is not what is going to be reasonable forever and I'd argue hasn't been for some years now.

If this is the reason you use the browser, I would ask you to stop fabricating nonsense to justify your decisions because we have never held the position of low system requirements as a feature merely that we try not to be unreasonably excessive with shit like multi-process where the false sense of stability while crashing processes are not taking the whole thing down or deceptive disconnected async UI resonsiveness is based on dispatched requests that may never complete or even register instead of str8 forward issuing of commands and waiting is somehow better.

Lower ram usage and general efficiency is reletive in comparison and is a consequence of intentional traditional design not a deliberate obsessively sought after feature or goal.

This has been explained before albeit some years ago. So please, get your facts in order before making claims or forming conclusions and making decisions.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-11-13, 04:53

This $400 refurb business desktop from 2015/16 is maxed out at 16GB. That is enough for my normal usage.
Always running together:
- Windows 8.1, trimmed / de-bloated
- distributed-computing manager
- email server for dev
- often web server for dev
- sometimes MySQL server for dev
- Explorer replacement
- Start Menu replacement
- Alt-Tab replacement
- emailbox monitor
- sticky notes
- FileMenuTools
- my drive-space monitor
- my automatic window-positioner
- a manual window-positioner
- password vault
- VPN
- file indexer
- walpaper cycler
- Mac-like app launcher
- VM host service, sometimes with a VM open
- disk defragger
- disk activity monitor
- network activity monitor
- a few other helpers that make the desktop experience more efficient

Usually running together:
- full calendar app
- tunes player
- Interlink
- one or two developer's editors
- zero to a few of five possible browsers open, each showing fewer than three live tabs ...
- except in dev/hack mode, when each syntax/usage-related topic gets a tab for DuckDuckGo which leads to three resource tabs like StackOverflow

Often opened separately:
- office suite, PDF editors, image editors, vector editors, ImageMagick-etc scripts, directory/file compare, file transfer, scripted compiler+linker+packer chain, backupper, remote desktop controller, etc etc.

Occayyysionally Windows starts trying to close apps because of low memory, especially if I try to run a disk cache.
For compiling/building something large I would have to shut down some background utilities and services.
Local web development using PHP and WordPress with plugins is sooo much less painful than on a laptop with 8GB.

Recently I found a web host with a data center in a major city an hour away. Interacting with that server is sooo much faster than with an older web host on the other side of the country. I swear it's even faster than hitting the web infrastructure running on localhost. Maybe it's gotta be in the same data center building as where my VPN lets out in the same city?

Gill Bates
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gill Bates » 2021-11-18, 17:42

Got a refurbed Lenovo P500 ThinkStation with a Samung SSD and 32 GB of RAM earlier this year, runs on Win10 Pro. Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz - idling away at 1.2 GHz.

I typically leave a lot of tabs open that I use regularly, currently around 70, though after an earlier restart of PM it currently uses under 2 GB of RAM with a total usage of under 7GB.

Still, for a while now, it's been like wading through molasses - much slower than anytime before with lesser PCs. Even typing this text right now I have to pause multiple times until *whatever* catches up and the text actually appears on the screen - with a bunch of dropped letters, so it's a bit tedious.

Any thoughts on this?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-18, 19:12

Stop having dozens of tabs to bloated service sites open and use bookmarks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-18, 19:41

Tip 1: Use the "Restart" function in the menu
Tip 2: Use bookmarks
Tip 3: Use Suspender
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Gill Bates
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gill Bates » 2021-11-19, 12:20

Thanks for the tips. I've used Restart once or twice a day, but this helped only shortly.

Bookmarks, of course, but I like having lots of tabs "at my fingertips" without the added step of using a bookmark. Call me lazy. Worked for a long time too. Perhaps I did not have *that* many tabs open back then. I'll go on a diet.

Installed Suspender! Sounds it may help. Thanks again!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-11-19, 16:27

Why on earth do some people have like 40-50 tabs open is beyond me and then complain of too much ram consumption.
I have 3 open as a maximum.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Gill Bates
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gill Bates » 2021-11-19, 18:54

I did not and do not complain about RAM consumption. Plenty of that to spare, as you can see from my first post. It could use 20 GB for all I care.

It's the slowing down, which was not always the case, that prompted my post.

Tabs are free - why not use them? Best thing since sliced bread IMO.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-11-19, 19:32

Gill Bates wrote:
2021-11-19, 18:54
Tabs are free
They aren't though, and that's the reason everyone advises against using them in stead of bookmarks.

They aren't free in Chrome either, since they are actual separate operative system processes, which is more resource-heavy than Pale Moon or Basilisk's tabs, so "other browsers can do it" is not an excuse. The only reason why Chrome seems to use less resources is because those separate processes can be killed by the browser (or even the OS in some cases) when the tabs are idle for too long, but that's a trick with its own share of issues, so tabs are even less free there than on Pale Moon or Basilisk.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-19, 21:46

Gill Bates wrote:
It's the slowing down, which was not always the case, that prompted my post.
Which doesn't belong in this thread then. see topic title.
Gill Bates wrote:
Tabs are free - why not use them?
They are not. Every tab has observers and event handlers that need to be processed. Every tab can have one or more active scripts running; any tab has a render viewer, any tab would possibly interact with extension code... I can go on. They are not free. Even the basic administration of tabs (keeping track of meta data, load states, origins, sandboxes, etc.) takes a non-trivial amount of resources in both memory and processing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Gill Bates
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gill Bates » 2021-11-20, 13:41

OK, you guys win. Misconception on my part then.

Suspender already helps, so thanks for that. I'll also start reducing the number of tabs by iterations of 10 and see where my system can handle it to my satisfaction.

Cheerio!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-20, 14:32

Gill Bates wrote:
2021-11-20, 13:41
you guys win
It wasn't a competition or debate. All I did was explain more how this works so that you may understand better.

Gill Bates
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Gill Bates » 2021-11-20, 17:16

I don't mind saying I was wrong, that's all. Consider it a thumbs-up.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.