Foxclone live system comes with Pale Moon

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Foxclone live system comes with Pale Moon

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2021-07-12, 15:08

https://www.foxclone.com/:
FoxClone is a image backup, restore, and clone tool for Windows and Linux systems, using a simple point-and-click interface. Being Linux-based, it boots to its own system exclusive of anything on the hard disk drive (HDD) or solid disk drive (SSD), where it takes images of the partitions and stores them for later restoration. The resulting image files can optionally be compressed to save space. .
I was looking for an alternative to Clonezilla and then stumbled upon this easier to use GUI tool for making disk images.
It's based on Ubuntu 18.04.

Starting it in a virtual machine, I saw it comes with the Pale Moon browser :
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Foxclone live system comes with Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-12, 15:40

I'll have contacted them, because they cannot include Pale Moon (or Firefox for that matter) in a combined package that they release under the GPL, since the MPL is incompatible with being included in a GPL "larger work".
In addition they aren't releasing a Linux OS but bundling it with a tool -- this isn't allowed without prior permission; the redist license is very clear about that (point 5).

Why is it so difficult for people to just ask before they publish something including someone else's work?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GAPOaltPOCA

Unread post by GAPOaltPOCA » 2021-07-13, 05:40

Moonchild wrote:
2021-07-12, 15:40
I'll have contacted them, because they cannot include Pale Moon (or Firefox for that matter) in a combined package that they release under the GPL, since the MPL is incompatible with being included in a GPL "larger work".
In addition they aren't releasing a Linux OS but bundling it with a tool -- this isn't allowed without prior permission; the redist license is very clear about that (point 5).

Why is it so difficult for people to just ask before they publish something including someone else's work?
Don't you fear they will just drop Pale Moon and back to use FF? :(

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-13, 05:47

So you are telling us that Moonchild shouldn't defend his rights and licenses should be violated out of fear of making another enemy?

These people stole Pale Moon, illegally bundled it, and told no one they did it to enhance their offering at the expense of us. This already damages Moonchild and walks all over his rights and anyone elses because they think they can selfishly do anything they want with whatever they want.

That is plain old fasioned communism and they must be stopped.

Given your short but questionable post history including one statement of importance.. You are definitely on my radar so watch yourself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-13, 11:04

GAPOaltPOCA wrote:
2021-07-13, 05:40
Don't you fear they will just drop Pale Moon and back to use FF? :(
Not at all. But if they would then that's fine too.

As it is I got a friendly reply and they'll work with me getting the licensing statements in order (with my permission to bundle Pale Moon). They just didn't think about a potential issue bundling various things together and redistributing them that way as a live environment while their main focus is the program itself. Licensing issues would have to be addressed either way, even in the Firefox case (because it isn't GPL either).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 12:56

Things have been solved with the foxclone maintainer.