Each new version of Palemoon, it gets worse

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Craftsman

Each new version of Palemoon, it gets worse

Unread post by Craftsman » 2021-07-10, 20:52

I have been using Pale moon for many years.

Unfortunately, with each new version of Palemoon, it gets worse and worse :(
Because it loses compatibility with popular and useful extensions.
For example, with NoScript, Speeddial, ImageShow, ProxySelector and many so on.
And their flawed and poor, replacements, which you offer on your website in the "Addons" section, are inferior in functionality to the original proven and reliable extensions from Mozilla.
In addition, many of your extensions are not verified and cannot be trusted.

For example, I very need NoScript and SpeedDial.
But your replacement of ηMatrix and Quickdial Tool & Speed Dial - is complete shit! :shock:

It would be much more useful if, instead of increasing the version number of Palemoon, you would ported the most popular and useful versions of Mozilla extensions to Palemoon.

If you don't, a lot of users will stop using Palemoon and will look for other browsers similar to it.

PS. Yes, I know that you will not like my criticism. But alas, it's true.

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Each new version of Palemoon, it gets worse

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2021-07-10, 21:54

Craftsman wrote:
2021-07-10, 20:52
It would be much more useful if, instead of increasing the version number of Palemoon, you would ported the most popular and useful versions of Mozilla extensions to Palemoon.
So halt the development of the browser in priority of porting extensions, many of which may or may not have a compatible license for such?
You should take your criticism of these extensions to their respective developers.

See: viewforum.php?f=46
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-07-10, 22:20

Craftsman, given how uneducated, entitled, and misguided your comment is, perhaps it's you who is getting worse every year?

I too have been using Pale Moon for many years, and have found no issues with tweaking and adjusting my add-on collection to create the browsing experience I desire.

And whenever I got stuck, I received the help I needed to get unstuck.

So, your criticism won't be liked simply because it's not true.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2021-07-10, 22:46

Craftsman wrote:
AFAIK they are verified by the PM addon team, including a hash like in Firefox addons don't make the extensions any way more secure.
Craftsman wrote:
For example, I very need NoScript and SpeedDial.
But your replacement of ηMatrix and Quickdial Tool & Speed Dial - is complete shit! :shock:
Use ηMatrix as a blunt tool and use uBlock Origin as a scalpel with specific rules to block specific scripts (yes, maybe it is not as nice as NoScript to create rules), you can install both and both work fine and allow for way more customization vs pure NoScript.
Cant comment on Speed dial, using Speed Start myself.
Craftsman wrote:
Unfortunately some extensions are restricted by license, others at the moment would require a simple compatibility patch.
Craftsman wrote:
If you don't, a lot of users will stop using Palemoon and will look for other browsers similar to it.
Compatibility with the new html5 functions that are in the extension draft phase and should theoretically not used by developers but still used by them disregarding the alpha status of such is of more priority (and the current problem in the web) so that websites wont break totally, and if you change browsers you will have to find new extensions anyway.
------------------
Attronarch wrote:
2021-07-10, 22:20
I too have been using Pale Moon for many years, and have found no issues with tweaking and adjusting my add-on collection to create the browsing experience I desire.
I myself disagree on some specific decisions of the browser and compile one myself, but his point is actually that you shouldn't do that dance from the browser side or the addon side.
I would say i am happy that you don't have any problems with the browser, if you are having a very technical/specific problem, you have to do a lot of legwork and preemptively answer possible questions(and pain points) in your own question, many people start having problems in their threads when they dont do that.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-07-10, 23:37

Craftsman wrote:
PS. Yes, I know that you will not like my criticism. But alas, it's true.
It's neither true nor false. What you've stated is your opinion, and my opinion is the exact opposite. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-10, 23:39

If you post edited extensions on this forum again you are out of here, make no mistake about that. You are also not entited to anything from us as long as you use noscript as you were told a year ago.

Blowing your contention that extensions on the Add-ons Site are inferior completely out of the water is exceptionally easy with one link: https://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/

This proves that the bulk of the so called inferior extensions are direct forks of older Firefox extensions and in a few cases continuations by the people who wrote them in the first place.

You are putting the burdon for extensions on the browser developers by citing Mozilla's offerings trusted offering but that was never the case either as with rare exception Mozilla them selves never created extensions for broad usership. Users such as your self and later some companies created them all.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-07-11, 00:15, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-10, 23:50

Craftsman wrote:
Because it loses compatibility with popular and useful extensions.
Except for the several hundred verified, vetted and high quality Pale Moon and other UXP application extensions on our add-ons site... :silent:
Craftsman wrote:
Says the person posting rogue edited, unvetted versions of known-problematic extensions on the forum that haven't been verified and can be trusted even less because they were hacked on by someone who is clearly disgruntled.

By the way, yes, your post with edited extensions was removed by me. Since Tobin already provided a public warning, I think you've been duly warned to not do that.
If you want to help the community by forking, then go through the normal creation, upload, and add-ons team verification process on Phoebus. preferably also ask for our feedback from whatever source repository you are using before your releases so we know what you are working on and can help/provide feedback.
Craftsman wrote:
So you think all we do is bump version numbers...? :think:
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml
Also, as stated many times over, it's impossible for Pale Moon/UXP core developers to do more extension work than what they happen to have extra time for (which isn't much, I assure you). Extensions are community-created (and have been, always, also for Firefox). It's up to all of you to nurture the ecosystem and take care of extensions you find indispensable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Craftsman

Unread post by Craftsman » 2021-07-10, 23:56

Above, the following was said here:
But you answered like this:
If you post edited extensions on this forum again you are out of here, make no mistake about that. Yoi are also not entited to anything from us as long as you use noscript as you were told axyear ago.
Banish from the forum - is this what you call help?? :shock:
This is a very strange help - to drive the user away, instead of solving the problem.
I don't understand, are you either an aggressive, or are you in a bad mood? :?:

Why did you delete my extensions - are you a coward?
I used these extensions for several years on previous versions of Palemoon and they are they worked perfectly! :thumbup:

Now I will install them again on the old version of Palemoon and tell you about the result.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-11, 00:02

We don't care about your results but we do care about you using our infrastructure to spread edited rogue extensions in violation of intellectual property. Which is what you did. Strange how you would go on about trusted and reliable verified extensions then attach edited extensions to the forum, eh?

However, if you want to stop being angry and a pirate you could consider creating and maintaining proper forks of those extensions (except noscript as it is known to cause issues).

Regardless, this manipulation and borderline terrorism does stop right here and right now. You can choose to either be constructive and vaguely pleasent or you can be silent. Your call.

Also, please reread my earier post as I was editing and correcting typos.

Craftsman

Unread post by Craftsman » 2021-07-11, 00:51

I just now installed the following 4 extensions on the old PaleMoon 28.9.3:

1) Image-Show-Hide-0.2.8.1.1-signed.xpi
2) NoScript-5.0.6. xpi
3) ProxySelector-1.31.1-signed.xpi
4) Speed Dial-0.9.6.18.xpi

- and they work! :!:

Why are they not being installed on now 29.2.1 ?? What was messed up in this new version? :oops:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-11, 00:55

You seriously aren't that stupid right?

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2021-07-11, 01:27

Craftsman wrote:
2021-07-11, 00:51
Why are they not being installed on now 29.2.1 ?? What was messed up in this new version? :oops:
Like i said to the other poster, on this forum you should do the legwork yourself, so you would need to read the release notes and find what the changes were (if not in the notes).
You probably will be able to install those extensions up to Version 29.1.1 (though the jump to 29.0.0 could already hit some extensions compatibility just by that version number due to how they were coded)
Nothing is messed up in the last version.
Last edited by Lurker_01 on 2021-07-11, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-11, 01:35

OP couldn't behave and resorted to flat out public insults.
Locking topic. Please move along.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite