All my fave extensions stopped working with v.29

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Hanna

All my fave extensions stopped working with v.29

Unread post by Hanna » 2021-06-26, 18:46

Many of us started using Pale Moon to continue using our favourite old FF add-ons that stopped being supported.
I just upgraded to v. 29 and had a deja-vu experience from my FF days.

Sort Tabs
Websearch Pro
BBCode add-on
Misc. Privacy add-ons
Classic toolbar buttons
Down Them All
Flagfox
Agent spoofer
Rightbar
Roboform Toolbar

These are just a few and some are dealbreakers for me.

In the past, the focus for PaleMoon seemed to be to keep the old add-ons functional to the greatest possible extent.
Since so many add-ons stopped working in this release - I conclude that this focus has shifted - Correct?

I'm downgrading to the previous version for the time being. I only upgraded because Peertube (example: https://swebbtv.se) stopped working with PaleMoon - however this was not fixed with the upgrade. I might be able to spoof another browser and circumvent the problem with the previous version of Palemoon.

I'm so disappointed. Please don't have a go at me anyone - I already know what you are going to say. Only constructive comments, please.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: All my fave extensions stopped working with v.29

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-06-26, 19:00

Many extensions have been forked since version 29 came out. Have you bothered to look at the Pale Moon extension site?

Pale Moon is an actively evolving browser. One cannot expect dead static extension to continue to work forever in such a browser. Also it has been widely proclaimed in the forums about this change and on the Pale Moon website, so it shouldn't have been unexpected.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2021-06-26, 19:08, edited 2 times in total.

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2021-06-26, 19:08

Update: Managed to roll back, using an old saved profile - the current one was broken by the upgrade.
Am now on 28.9.1 and the important add-ons are working.

This feels very much like when Firefox did their big upgrade.
I'll stay like this for a while and think through the options. Any advice appreciated.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-06-26, 19:09

So did you look at whether your list of extensions have been forked?? Here's a link that will help (if you want help).

http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/
Last edited by ron_1 on 2021-06-26, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2021-06-26, 19:10

ron_1 wrote:
2021-06-26, 19:00
Many extensions have been forked since version 29 came out. Have you bothered to look at the Pale Moon extension site?

Pale Moon is an actively evolving browser. One cannot expect dead static extension to continue to work forever in such a browser. Also it has been widely proclaimed in the forums about this change and on the Pale Moon website, so it shouldn't have been unexpected.

EDIT
Here's a link that will help you. http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/
Thanks for that! I'm not in the mood for browser research right now and am short of time, but I will definitely come back later and see what I can find on the extension site. The add-ons I listed in question had no replacement about a year ago when I last checked...

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-06-26, 19:14

Hanna wrote:
2021-06-26, 19:10
The add-ons I listed in question had no replacement about a year ago when I last checked...
A lot has changed in a year (which is an eternity in computing circles). BTW, Down them all has been forked for a while now.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/getemall/
Off-topic:
BTW, it's up to the extensions to support the browser, not the other way around.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-26, 19:21

Particularly this page will be useful to you. I know it lists alternatives to at least one of your must-haves.

http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions

Edit: It seems at least four posts were made while I was typing this one. So now this is redundant.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-06-26, 20:12

Flagfox -> GeoFlag
Agent spoofer -> Sasuga (maybe?)
Classic Toolbar buttons -> Classic Toolbar Buttons (Palemoon) (says max ver is 28, no idea what its status is)
Sort Tabs -> Sort Tabs By (maybe?)

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-06-26, 20:25

Maybe some of these have the same functionality that you're looking for (some are duplicates of RealityRipple's post above):

Sort Tabs | SortTabsBy https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/sorttabsby/

Misc. Privacy add-ons | https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/

Classic toolbar buttons | Classic Toolbar Buttons (Palemoon) https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cstbb/

Down Them All | GetEmAll! https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/getemall/

Agent spoofer | Various https://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms=agent

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-27, 08:13

You shouldn't be spoofing your user agent anyway, it's a useless way of trying to be anonymous (a different user agent makes you stand out from the herd) besides breaking various websites' browser detection. Pale Moon offers site specific user agent overrides so you can tweak them for individual sites that sniff the UA and don't work. You can use PermissionsPlus or Sasuga to set site specific UAs.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2021-06-27, 09:39

ron_1 wrote:
2021-06-26, 20:25
Maybe some of these have the same functionality that you're looking for (some are duplicates of RealityRipple's post above):

Sort Tabs | SortTabsBy https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/sorttabsby/

Misc. Privacy add-ons | https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/

Classic toolbar buttons | Classic Toolbar Buttons (Palemoon) https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cstbb/

Down Them All | GetEmAll! https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/getemall/

Agent spoofer | Various https://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms=agent
Super duper! Thank you Ron! This is definitely a good start. But I will do this upgrade in a controlled way, when I have a full day free to fiddle around with it --- I want to find a replacement for all of the add-ons that I really love and do the upgrade with a full profile backup first (by pure chance, I had an old backup about a year old, that I could revert to - but there were a bunch of changes I'd done in the last year that I had to re-do...

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2021-06-27, 09:55

I noticed a thread with a disappointed user coming on a bit stronger than me, about the same thing....
He had his head bitten off (I participated in this forum enough to realise this would happen immediately after seeing his header).
People are referring to this news being communicated for a year etc, etc. However that user was clearly not particularly proficient in English - and just like with me, it hadn't occurred to him to check the forum before upgrading.

I defs understand the position that a living piece of software needs to move on + also frustration from forum regulars to have to repeat the same thing over and over. However, there are a few people - and you know who you are.... who seem to take pleasure in being unpleasant to users who are either out of the loop or not clued up.... or simply have limited time to stay informed with the latest developments... Why are forum users so unpleasant to people like this? It will marginalise the browser! I've even seen discussions about bad experiences in this forum, elsewhere on the internet. Just don't respond, if you get so irritated that you feel the need to bite someone's head off, for not being up to scratch to the same level that you are. People with kids, a busy job, poor health, technical n00b.... or whatever it might be....are just not going to be informed about things like this. Biting their head off will achieve nothing more than turning them away - or even make them start blackpainting Palemoon to other similar users... Personally I respect the devs and love the browser too much to want to see that happen...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-27, 12:27

Brcause people such as yourself have no excuse in not staying informed about the software they employ. Every effort was made to inform them but people ignored the warnings and like yourself can't even be bothered to type the name of the software correctly let alone spend a couple of minutes using the resources at your fingertips.

So, do your job as responsible users and don't passive aggressively give me orders.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-27, 13:55

Hanna wrote:
2021-06-27, 09:55
People with kids, a busy job, poor health, technical n00b.... or whatever it might be....are just not going to be informed about things like this
Then those people are better off sticking with a mainstream browser so that they get on with their terribly busy lives and not have to expend a single brain cell in thinking about what browser they use.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-27, 14:08

Hanna wrote:
People with kids, a busy job, poor health, technical n00b.... or whatever it might be....are just not going to be informed about things like this.
Yet those same people have no problem spending more time writing multiple threads on the support forum while they could have been fully informed with that same time by checking out the information right at their fingertips on the product website.
Now maybe you've gotten used to blank template websites with stock pictures and half-sentences that explain nothing as is the trend for a lot of companies these days, but not all websites are like that.
http://www.palemoon.org is there for a reason. The F.A.Q. section on this forum is also there for a reason if you have questions. It has information for a reason, and there is simply no excuse for not educating yourself about one of the main programs you use every day. You know how your washing machine and stove works, right? Then also know how your browser works.

In short: read more, write less.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-06-27, 15:34

Off-topic:
Hanna wrote:
Why are forum users so unpleasant to people [...]? It will marginalise the browser!
I think that a lot of people are just so tired and frustrated that they have incredibly little patience, especially lately. It is really unfortunate, and I hope that everyone comes to be in a better mood in times to come.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-27, 18:14

She could have left the entire bit in italics out of her post. She decided to call us out. Given others are doing the same thing lately I guess we are in that part of the cycle where a couple colluding elements start pressing any perceived advantage and others who aren't actually involved in that effort do so as well because they have a similar mentality and it seems reasonable because well others are doing it as well.

That is what is so insidious about our broader userbase and dangerous about even one or two infiltrators being allowed to operate behind the lines. As just one or two only need to get the ball rolling for 10 or 20 to start acting accordingly because they are upset or frustrated or have Post-Mozilla Stress Disorder and borderline Pale Moon Derangement Syndrome. Once that happens the enemy groups will play to the worst aspects of that and pressure will rise from outside.

It happens over and over again until they get bored or we crush it or both. Then it stays mostly quiet for a time then starts up again. All because of a few posts by couple of agitators, and a frustrated little girl.

Bam full forum revolt. No amount of wishywashy "can't we just get along" bullshit will avert a new cycle. Only bold decisive action will. Though it will hamper productivity regardless plus our summertime slowdown won't help much either on that point.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-07-08, 21:52

Some of those extensions still work if you add Pale Moon information into install.rdf in the .xpi file. This information is easily available from install.rdf in any Pale Moon theme. Some of the extensions I still use are not in that developer site list.
CheckPlaces - still works
ChromEditPlus - still works
Cookie Masters stopped working for me. I switched to Cookie Permissions
Disconnect - still works
Element Inspector - still works
Web Developer toolbar - still works - forked
YesScript - still works - forked

The ones not listed:
Blacken - no mention
Controle de Scripts - no mention
Greasemonkey - no mention
Kill Bright Backgrounds - no mention & has to be installed into older Firefox
Live HTTP Headers - no mention
Modify Headers - no mention
MR Tech Toolkit - no mention and the version I have is no longer online
Turbo Download Manager - no mention
User Agent Switcher - no mention

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-09, 00:18

No we are done with THESE kinds of posts. If they are on CAA you can easily update the page yourself. But don't half-ass the job by doing what you just did.

I will not repeat my self about this again.. I'll just ask for the post to be deleted outright as off-topic spam. Eather help us help you help us all or remain silent on this subject AND DO NOT SUGGEST OR IMPLY THAT MERELY EDITING THE INSTALL MANIFEST IS ENOUGH BECAUSE IT AIN'T!

The more it is brought up the sooner the rdf install manifest will depercated. Once json install manifests lands you will have until the next major version until rdf install manifests are gone forever from any application not using an original Mozilla GUID.

p0k3m0n

Unread post by p0k3m0n » 2021-07-14, 09:51

I know well what You are talking about. I converted myself all extensions and they works fine, but during that I try FF 89 (Photon) and... end with Palemoon journey. Photon is great piece of software, at last they did, what should be done 2 years ago. PM was good software and still IS IMHO most safe and privacy browser on market, but today is simply unusable on typical situations. Its incompatible often and extremely slow. So, month ago I migrated everything to FF and do not look back.

PS Additional migrated all workstations to W10 LTSC and I must say, that this is good replacement to W7 - stable, fast, without typical W10 bloatware and spyware - simply good system. Upgrade on-the-place, so no need reinstall software.

Thx for PM devs. I wrote this comment in PM - probably last time. Time to move on.