Should I introduce Pale Moon to my furry friends?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Should I introduce Pale Moon to my furry friends?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-28, 16:25

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-06-28, 14:25
I didn't realize you weren't a furry, my bad...
Like I said it depends on your definition of "furry". By some definitions, I would be, because of my various interests; but by the most common one (and definitely the one that gets all the negative attention) I'm certainly not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-06-28, 23:22

I have never heard of anyone use "furry" to simply mean "person who creates and is greatly interested in anthropomorphic creature artwork".

However, I don't lurk about all areas of the Web, so I would not doubt your statement that some would define it that way.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-06-30, 00:57

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-28, 16:25
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-06-28, 14:25
I didn't realize you weren't a furry, my bad...
Like I said it depends on your definition of "furry". By some definitions, I would be, because of my various interests; but by the most common one (and definitely the one that gets all the negative attention) I'm certainly not.
Okay... that is somewhat confusing...

but on the really seemingly weird negative description, ie, not being dressed as a furry, but well... you know,

I very much doubt you fall into that category of a furry.

That being said, I don't harbor hate towards people who do that, its just well...

strange as well... the current insane conspiracy theories floating on the news and the web. I should probably not go any further beyond that.

Lots of weird stuff... Some of it makes me... :lol:

Because it is so insane! ;)

side note, I don't know if you dress up like one, but I assume no?

Not important, but felt the need to clarify, in case you got annoyed with me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-30, 01:13

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-06-30, 00:57
Okay... that is somewhat confusing...
Don't blame me. Blame the people who keep redefining labels. "Furry" by the way is very much a self-applied label, so ultimately if someone says they are a furry, then they are. There's nothing aside from the self-labeling and setting certain priorities/following certain lifestyle choices that sets them apart from anyone else.
In general when furries call themselves furries, it encompasses a certain mentality and lifestyle. One I don't adhere to (nor agree with).
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-06-30, 00:57
I don't know if you dress up like one, but I assume no?
I don't even know what you mean with that.
Are you referring to "fursuiting", i.e. the wearing of full-body mascot suits that represent their original characters? In that case, no, I don't "dress up" like a furry. But I'll make the critical note here that there's nothing wrong with full-body suiting as long as it's done responsibly (I have actually done it as a profession a little over 20 years ago when I was in Australia. It was a fun gig!) nor does owning a suit/doing public performance (e.g. at conventions or what not) make anyone a furry. So... I'm still not sure if that is what you mean or what your issue would be with that, or if you mean something else?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-06-30, 20:33

Here in the uk we like to delve into our past a bit and "dress up" if you like.Jousting in full glorious shining suits of armour among other things.

Some of the scottish isles have some strange traditions and customs,notably of a pageant theme while welcoming the solstice etc.
The shetlands have a bizarre festival period of shetlanders painting themselves green and burning viking boats.
The south west of england has it's morris dancers galloping around maypoles.

So yeah dressing up can become part of your national heritage.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-30, 21:12

All things being said though, does it matter whether the founder of a browser is "a furry" or not for furries to use it?
If so, then it's much more of a sect-ish exclusive club than I always believed it to be ;P

IMHO it doesn't matter what I believe or ascribe to, and I certainly have no issue with anyone of any belief, religion, conviction, political affiliation, sexuality, skin colour, perceived species, or what not, using Pale Moon. Go right ahead.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-06-30, 23:19

Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:
2021-06-30, 20:33
The shetlands have a bizarre festival period of shetlanders painting themselves green and burning viking boats.
They have a lovely historical dialect of Scots, Shetlandic Scots. Although I hear that it is spoken less and less by the locals these days. I suppose that that is what happens when everyone switches to speaking English.

Before they spoke Scots, they spoke Norn, a language descended from Old Norse. So, naturally, the dialect of Scots that developed there was notably influenced by the pre-existing Norn language. The English spoken now in Shetland still has some unique terms that go all the way back to Norn, but the dialect of Scots that they spoke was the true "gem", so to speak.

In any case, I am not surprised that they would have unique festivals to this day.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-07-01, 10:11

Tharthan wrote:
2021-06-30, 23:19
Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:
2021-06-30, 20:33
They have a lovely historical dialect of Scots, Shetlandic Scots. Although I hear that it is spoken less and less by the locals these days. I suppose that that is what happens when everyone switches to speaking English.

Before they spoke Scots, they spoke Norn, a language descended from Old Norse. So, naturally, the dialect of Scots that developed there was notably influenced by the pre-existing Norn language. The English spoken now in Shetland still has some unique terms that go all the way back to Norn, but the dialect of Scots that they spoke was the true "gem", so to speak.

In any case, I am not surprised that they would have unique festivals to this day.
Doric is spoken mostly in aberdeenshire notably at the ports of peterhead and fraserburgh and an englishman will be totally out of his depth in that area.
Not certain if doric is spoken on the shetlands but as you say geographically and culturally it is closer to norway than scotland.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-01, 12:10

Off-topic:
Please follow the forum rules re: quoting and off-topic.
If you want to continue discussing dialects in the Greater Kingdom, I suggest you move that to the off-topic board.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-07-04, 12:31

"Don't blame me. Blame the people who keep redefining labels. "Furry""

That is a good point, people do keep redefining labels, it is hella annoying.

"don't even know what you mean with that.
Are you referring to "fursuiting", i.e. the wearing of full-body mascot suits that represent their original characters? In that case,"

But as for what you asked, I did in fact mean fursuiting. Although there are people who go way to far and take it in a sexual direction, I cannot fathom why people would do that, but to each their own. That being said, I hightly doubt you would do something that bizzare. You seem very rational and not that kind of person.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-04, 13:28

Off-topic:
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-07-04, 12:31
I did in fact mean fursuiting. Although there are people who go way to far and take it in a sexual direction, I cannot fathom why people would do that, but to each their own.
Sounds to me like you've seen docu-dramas about furries, like the infamous "CSI" episode dealing with a small subsection of the furry fandom and presented as shockingly as possible.

As for the sexual turn on it: I don't find it so strange, really. A lot of sexual fetishes have a lot to do with fantasy and imagination. A prime and very clear example of that is BDSM, and people dress up to play fantasy roles for sex all the time. Why not as you favourite anthropomorphised animal?
Mind you, I have no interest in that myself - I can't even imagine the practical issues doing that; faux fur body suits are incredibly hot to wear (and I mean temperature... :P), and... well, bluntly put, sex is messy. Not sure how well those suits would hold up to being washed on "intense cycle"very often XD.

But as you said: to each their own. I don't judge, either, and in fact what anyone does with their partner(s) in their bedroom is entirely up to them. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-04, 19:15

Off-topic:
On the other hand I do judge and I have had my own experience with god damned furrys and the majority of them I have encountered are degenerate selfish people out to impose their kinks on the rest of the world and like most other subculture groups they have a lot of overlaps with other groups that do the same tending NOT keep it restricted to the privacy of their own home or bedroom.

Though it is well established that while militant sects of most groups are the problem with any group these are the bulk of the representives I keep encountering. So basicly if you don't want to be judged by the standards they set.. Clean up your own den before asking for sympathy and understanding from those who disapprove or otherwise don't want to be involved.

Also, Pro-Tip: Get rid of the rampant pedophillia and get your kink-allies to do the same. Ignoring it does not nor will ever help your situation.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-07-04, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-04, 19:32

Off-topic:
Tobin, there is this saying "live and let live". That's both a notion of being tolerant to others' views and not imposing your own ones.
So I fully agree with what you say. If they can't keep their kinks within their own club they deserve to be judged by it. You expose yourself, you get a reaction, is what I say.
As for the vocal/visual ones being representative of the fandom as a whole? I don't think so, but your experiences may be different. I just don't think you should default to that approach when treating unknown members of a group, self-labelled or not. Maybe the overlap you see is because it is just a small group of people who ruin it for a bunch of groups all at once because that is what they do... :think:

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2021-07-11, 01:06

There's a lot of very valid points raised here. Tharthan, Tobin & Moonchild himself have all made acute observations. It's dangerous making general assumptions about any individual's lifestyle choices, based purely on a choice of avatar and a few bits of info floating about the web......everything needs to be taken in context, and considered in that light.

Tharthan & Tobin - oh boy, DO I agree. People in general - more especially the majority of those who have a strong "web prescence" - can be VERY gross. Disgusting, even, in a sizeable number of cases. And the anonymity offered by the web tends to encourage behaviour they often wouldn't dare display in real life.

-----------------------------

However.....

Take yours truly, for example. I run "Puppy" Linux, exclusively. It's been my 'daily driver' for more than 7 years. Most of our community members enter into the 'spirit of things' on the Puppy Forum; we refer to the forum as 'the kennels'. Many use puppy-themed names/avatars/signatures. It's all just a bit of good-natured fun at the end of the day.....nothing more, nothing less.

I use the same name here as I do everywhere. It's been my web-persona for the best part of two decades; an amalgam of my real name & a modification of my real name prior to adoption. I use a puppy-themed avatar on the Puppy Forum, along with plenty of canine references in my posts/threads. It's pure escapism when it boils down to it, yet in real life, dogs & me don't tend to get on too well! Truth be known, I'm more of a cat person; I certainly possess the feline trait of being highly independent.

--------------------------------

Anyone with a lick of sense has to concede that there's a LOT of highly-talented folks in the furry community. You've only got to take a squizz at some of the content on DeviantArt & FurAffinity to realise that.

On the other hand, taking a stroll around sites like Rule34 and e621.net opens your eyes to just how some furries view the world. I'm not certain it's one I'd want to live in. And as for sex being messy.....very true. The things many of us get up to in the name of enjoyment & relief.....oh, jeez. Image

Yes, "live & let live" is a very effective aphorism by which to live your life. I have no problem with what anyone decides to do with their lives, so long as they don't try to force their viewpoint on me. Then, watch out; I tend to bite back! :D

(I have to confess to rather enjoying some of Moonchild's avatars over the past couple of years.....yes, indeedy! Not TOO sure about the new one.....yet. The jury's still out.....) :lol:

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-11, 02:52

Off-topic:
Mike_Walsh wrote:
2021-07-11, 01:06
(I have to confess to rather enjoying some of Moonchild's avatars over the past couple of years.....yes, indeedy! Not TOO sure about the new one.....yet. The jury's still out.....) :lol:
It just seemed to be extremely applicable with the escalation of BS and people coming from unbelievable angles in their approach of me these months. I mean, everything from petty name-calling to legal threats to the biggest bout of entitlement and offence over nothing that really matters to what is important... Yeah.. More than once I've had the exact expression (both facial and verbal) in response to reading stuff in our sphere (be it the current IRC nonsense or stuff on the forum or on the repo or wherever...). And then realising that even though in my mind they can't be serious.... they usually are. :P
And yeah it's crop-out of an image that isn't mine. I don't think the original artist minds as the context of the comedic image was just as "you got to be kidding" as what I'm using it for ;-P

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2021-07-24, 15:10

Honestly I think the more people know about palemoon, no matter who or what assumption, the better.

It's not solely about palemoon as such - it's about this general trend how e. g. Google or anyone else controls large aspects of the www.

I have some elderly people in my close environment and they don't understand tech. There is no way for them to really understand or
learn much more (because old age isn't making things easier). Some of them could not even answer a question such as "which browser
are you using?" - except, on windows, typically whatever Microsoft puts down onto them (e. g. edge). It's important to have alternatives,
otherwise you end up in a de-facto monopolized world. So my personal opinion is that, no matter if furries, hipsters, snowflakes
or woke-emos ... people need to at the least know about alternatives.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-24, 15:17

Those groups specifically would collectively hate and crusade against us until the heat death of the universe the moment we had to tell them "no" on some point or another. Please try and keep the context of what you are suggesting because it can be dangerous to broadly associate with any fringe group in your post.