Firefox 89

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Firefox 89

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-04, 16:32

moonbat wrote:
2021-06-04, 13:41
It removes all* references to Google services and turns off certain anti privacy features, otherwise offers nothing new over base Chromium.
*) As far as easily configurable
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2021-06-05, 01:30

Night Wing wrote:
2021-06-04, 03:41
Since I use Linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa) Xfce as my linux distribution, linux Firefox comes as the default browser in Mint. But I use linux Pale Moon as my default browser in Mint, Firefox is the backup browser to Pale Moon. And below is my photo of the backup browser, linux Firefox 89.
Not that bad except for the tabs on top. OFC, the icons are butt-ugly and you can't replace them.

I use FF as a backup for a few sites only. One is finance.yahoo.com where comments are visible in FF but not PM. I open a VT and type "firefox-bin finance.yahoo.com" which avoids the execrable UI of FF. I use PM for 99% of my sites. Please please don't change Pale moon's UI.

Someday I'll create a desktop launcher and label it Yahoo finance.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-05, 09:21

It is a rebuild, so they have literally removed the code. The way PM removed telemetry, accessibility features etc from the inherited Firefox codebase.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-05, 09:58

Accessibility is still in the codebase but disabled at build time.

On the other hand PARTS of telemetry are still there too but disabled because it is so tightly weaved in and out of code it has to be done so very carefully that one mistake will bust the everything. We are making slow headway but eventually we will get it all out of the platform. Least the application specific bits are long gone.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-06-07, 11:40

I'm using linux Firefox 89 to post this message since Firefox is my backup browser to linux Pale Moon.

Using the info I gleaned from the Linut Mint Forums site, I was able to change the size of the skinny scroll bar in Firefox.

The scroll bar's default size in linux Firefox 89 is the number "12" which is too skinny in width to suit me because of my poor eye vision. But by venturing into "about:config" (without the quote marks) in the Navigation/Address Bar, I used the code below to change the default number 12 to something easier to see for my eyes and easier to grab with my mouse pointer and changed the value from 12 to the number 24 and that (for me) solved the skinny vertical scroll bar size in width.

Code: Select all

widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size
The code above should also work for any horizontal scroll bar too. Just keep in mind I use a desktop tower computer with a "27" size external monitor and this is why I chose the number 24.

You can change the Firefox 89 default number 12 to any size you want to increase the width of the skinny scroll bar depending on the screen size if you're using a laptop computer. The smaller your screen size, the lower the number you can use to make it easier for you to increase the width of the skinny scroll bar if Firefox is your backup browser.

And I'm also guessing the code above will work if you're using the Windows operating system since I no longer use Windows 7 (or any Windows operating system) and retired this operating system to the "back pasture" so to speak.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-06-09, 23:35

I've been using Firefox as secondary browser for long time now, guess I will need to find and add another css fix that will be broken in next update...
Photon wasn't that bad, I liked the edges.