New to Pale Moon.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Catherine91

New to Pale Moon.

Unread post by Catherine91 » 2021-05-27, 12:01

Hello my name is Catherine and I'm new to Pale Moon. If you'd like to know a bit about me please check my profile :) Now that the introductions are over I'd like to ask a particular question before I download and use the Pale Moon browser. Is Pale Moon safe to use? I know it's advertised as safe but what makes it as safe as well-known browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Edge etc? Thanks in advance and I'll get back to you!

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: New to Pale Moon.

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-05-27, 12:22

Catherine91 wrote:
2021-05-27, 12:01
Is Pale Moon safe to use? I know it's advertised as safe but what makes it as safe as well-known browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Edge etc? Thanks in advance and I'll get back to you!
Yes it is safe to use, it regularly receives security patches, see the release notes. Default security settings are - in my opinion - wise. But you may change them.

It does not include features like Google Safe browsing, due to privacy reasons (Google spies you out).

If you like further information, ask more precisely, best with technical questions.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: New to Pale Moon.

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-27, 12:27

Read the information about the browser on the main website, it will tell you some background including what you can and cannot expect from it. After that if you want addons for it, explore the addons site. Please don't ask about installing extensions for contemporary Firefox, let alone Chrome - they use what's called 'web extensions' technology that Pale Moon doesn't support (and it has plenty of its own based on the older Firefox extension technology).

Edit - also before you ask, you can't use it for videoconferencing such as Zoom or making calls on Facebook messenger because it does not support the required WebRTC technology (as explained on the technical page linked to above). You also can't use it to watch DRM content like Netflix or Amazon Prime without first installing the Silverlight plugin on Windows. On other platforms, no dice.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX