Google rediscovers the RSS feed button

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Google rediscovers the RSS feed button

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-26, 18:46

I've found this article through my RSS feeds (one of the places I follow had it linked): https://blog.chromium.org/2021/05/an-ex ... d-web.html
Apparently they're going to put into Chrome a button to add a site's feed to a built-in reader.
I wonder if it will end up like Google Reader or if they'll successfully complete the other two Es of the classic EEE tactic.
In the meantime, I guess Pale Moon and Basilisk can say "I told you the button was useful!" ;)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Google rediscovers the RSS feed button

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-27, 00:16

And now Mozilla has to figure out whether to put it back. They could've just removed live bookmarks if it wasn't being used and retained feed detection, but no. :roll:

I wonder if it would be possible for Pale Moon to partner with Feedly as a recommended feed subscription suggestion in the dropdown? Currently it offers 'My Yahoo!' which is probably long since defunct. I don't know if it's possible to monetize it somehow by sending feed subscribers their way.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-27, 00:28

Yeah cause Pale Moon trying to make money has worked out so well in the past.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-27, 00:31

No harm in asking them. It's not like feeds are still popular beyond any holdouts from Google Reader so they wouldn't mind the extra audience.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-27, 00:32

Interlink is an awesome feed reader!

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2021-06-06, 09:34

Google confuses me these days. It's as if they don't really know what they want either and all of this changing randomly.
Just the Fuchsia situation only ... will they replace Linux?

RSS remind me a bit of the pre-notification days. When I use firefox, I tend to get random websites begging me for
allowing some auto-feed thing. I hate that. Always say no. Never understood how that is useful. But I saw how elderly
people end up with tons of pop-ups even after I installed ublock origin, on the bottom right area on win10. This must
have been a deliberate design decision by Microsoft. They pester elderly people who have beginning dementia.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-06, 10:14

Another post that is only related to the topic at had by a bare thread. Please don't. If you want to chat about Google or the elderly and big data, please do so in the "off-topic" board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite