Mobile <-> desktop UI possible with stylesheets?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Mobile <-> desktop UI possible with stylesheets?

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-26, 02:19

Why is it that none of the modern web frameworks that are in fashion can provide a decent desktop UI without gigantic fonts and whitespace? Is it not possible to apply different styles to different sections of a page (or show/hide them at will) based on whether the user is on a mobile or device or not?

Is it a matter of lack of intention or is it not technically feasible? The way I visualize it is, the content of the page is the same regardless of device. The stuff around it should be replaceable - have a slide out menu by all means if it's a mobile device but show a decent horizontal menu with breadcrumbs or mouseover popup on a desktop device and show/hide them accordingly. Or even include different javascript files if they are to be all dynamically generated. Use a smaller set of icons for desktop users, show additional controls/widgets that they can benefit from, on demand. Why is this so hard to do?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Mobile <-> desktop UI possible with stylesheets?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-26, 02:28

Same basic experience everywhere starting with the lowest common denominator. This is a topic discussed often. Search for some of the previous ones. Back in the day a site would via stylesheets show almost completely independent design and UX depending on device. THAT WAS THE WHOLE REASON FOR THE BIG PUSH TO CSS AND THESE NEWER TAGS LIKE DIV.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-26, 02:36

Looks like they decided that the lowest common denominator was enough for everybody and no need to provide anything further.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-26, 04:24

Proper responsive design allows for optimized layouts for different resolutions. Yes that does mean you can have a desktop design at large res and a mobile design at small res. It really isn't that difficult (this is why media queries for viewport size exist). BUT, if you outsource your website design to India, you can't expect them to actually put in this kind of work when "responsive" can also mean just moving a few divs around as opposed to designing actually different layouts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Суки читают

Re: Mobile desktop UI possible with stylesheets?

Unread post by Суки читают » 2021-05-28, 19:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-26, 02:28
Back in the day a site would via stylesheets show almost completely independent design and UX depending on device.
What is UX? I guess it's User eXperience, but that still sounds kind of vague. Is there a difference between UI and UX?
Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-26, 04:24
Proper responsive design allows for optimized layouts for different resolutions. Yes that does mean you can have a desktop design at large res and a mobile design at small res.
For me, responsive has become synonymous with ugly, gigantic, resource-heavy, optimized for mobile. Oh, and don't forget using a database icon for menu. Do you have any examples of websites using "proper" responsive design?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-28, 19:53

Super basic but try the Basilisk website.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-28, 20:12

I simply refuse to design for mobile since none of my activities involve small form factor magic slabs of glass designed to drain the humanity out of people. I only work on and design for technology that enhances humanity and uplifts them through expansion of capabilities, knowledge, and enlightenment. You won't find any of that with a magic slab of glass made by slaves.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-30, 05:39

Суки читают wrote:
2021-05-28, 19:33
Is there a difference between UI and UX
User interface vs user experience.

A well designed UI will lead to better UX.