Not where to post ... maybe bug, tho, really no clue...

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Not where to post ... maybe bug, tho, really no clue...

Unread post by Astara » 2021-05-19, 21:58

I had a bunch of tabs open and needed to close the browser. Didn't want to lose the tabs just yet, thought there was a way to save em all in a type-of-bookmark, but couldn't find that, so thought to bring up the list in the recovery dialog (i.e. killed browser, then when it comes up, offers to restore tabs + has a tab list).

So did that, and get the Restore Session tab, and thought I'd try to save it to local file.
File->saveas-> default (Restore Session)
Thought I'd see it it looked the same when I loaded, it -- opened location and it was in
"Restore Session.xht". Explorer claimed it was a PaleMoon filetype, so clicked on it.
It redirected to PM, but with an error:

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: Location: file:///C:/tmp/Restore%20Session.xht Line Number 304, Column 280:
          <tree xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul" id="tabList" flex="1" seltype="single" hidecolumnpicker="true" onclick="onListClick(event);" onkeydown="onListKeyDown(event);" _window_label="Window %S" hidehscroll="true" clickthrough="never">
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^
Thought it odd and looked at it and it is prologue code before the actual saved session...namely after the end of the 'tree' line, above, end of line.

I opened it up in the 'Developer's Tools', the Inspect tab, and looked at the working-version location where the error, above, was displayed. Looked at the "working code", and I don't see any differences in the working version as displayed in the displayed code, vs. the saved code.

So I tried various modifications on the saved file, but it always pointed to the end of that <tree> line.

The <tree> tag is in a <div> right above it, -- that whole 'div' looks like:

Code: Select all

<div id="errorTrailerDesc">
          <tree xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul" id="tabList" flex="1" seltype="single" hidecolumnpicker="true" onclick="onListClick(event);" onkeydown="onListKeyDown(event);" _window_label="Window %S" hidehscroll="true" clickthrough="never">
            <treecols>
              <treecol cycler="true" id="restore" type="checkbox" label="Restore" ordinal="1"/>
              <splitter class="tree-splitter" ordinal="2" resizeafter="farthest"/>
              <treecol primary="true" id="title" label="Windows and Tabs" flex="1" ordinal="3"/>
            </treecols>
            <treechildren flex="1"/>
          </tree>
        </div>
The error happens at the end of the tree line, and before the "treecols" tag, with the <tree> statement being closed below that. I'm not familiar with the tree tag, but it seems valid xml. Not sure why PM would point to end of that line as being an error.

Anyway, this isn't _that_ important. The session isn't anything private, was just reading up on random graphix related topics in canvas, etc. Attached the page below & and associated js file that was saved by the 'save page' operation.

I expect I can extract the bookmarks, but I'm curious as to why it is pointing to where it is and throwing an error. I know it is complaining about the text in that file, as I tried editing it a few ways to see if anything made a difference -- and while the line# and/or col# changed, the error stayed in the same position in the file (end of that line, which is line #304 in the attached file.

If anyone wants to waste some time and and/or bless me with some information, I'd be interested, as the in-mem copy displayed in the dev-tools looks the same to me as what I see in the saved-file. Go figger.

Thanks for any clues...
Astara
Attachments
Restore Session.xht.txt
was named .xht, but added .txt suffixes to neuter them.
(220.58 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
aboutSessionRestore.js.txt
was in subdir 'Restore Session' as a .js file.
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Not where to post ... maybe bug, tho, really no clue...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-19, 22:03

What you've done is save the "about:sessionrestore" page, whoch is not your session.
It's also an internal page so doesn't conform to normal html that you can save that way.

Next time you want to do this, richt-click the tab strib and select "bookmark all tabs" -- this will store your open tab addresses as bookmarks that you can re-open with "open all in tabs" on the folder with bookmarks you created this way. No need to kill any process or do risky stuff like you tried. Just bookmark them all, shut down. Next time open the browser, restore all in tabs, done. (optionally you can afterwards delete the bookmark folder if it was just a temp save)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-05-19, 22:59

Yeah, about the time I saw the .xht extension, I figured it wasn't a normal html page, looking in side the file, it looked like xml, which I've seen display in PM before. I tried to get rid of the outer xml wrapper, too see if I could get just the html part to display, but it was a half-hearted effort that had me realize that it would need to execute some of the js in the wrapper to decode the session-blob, which it seems was stored as a bin-blob.

I did try turning on my bookmark toolbar, and right clicking on it before forcing a session-restore tab, but saw no option for saving all. Tried it again just now, I have a "Most Visited" tab on it, but nothing else, which is a bit odd since I remember having a bunch of bookmarks.

Ah, just pressed ctl-b and see all the bookmarks below a separator, but at the top have two entries for Bookmarks Toolbar -- one with "Most visited", and the 2nd one that has 'Recently Bookmarked' and 'Recent Tags'. Strange -- neither one has option to save all tabs to a bookmark -- but the 2nd one has a "Open all in tabs" button -- probably because it thinks it is a folder of bookmarks, whereas the top one is a menu-header.

Not sure what might be interfering with that menu item coming up. Not sure why you say risky -- maybe if I'd made any changes in the session in the last few minutes, the copy might not have been saved on disk? It was a bunch of tabs I'd opened earlier but left off exploring due to some distraction or another, so they were fairly stable so much that I forgot about them until I saw the 'Restored Tabs' tab that I had meant to look at yesterday. Ahem...no I never get distracted...*cough*.

Still not sure why the xml page would error out where it did, but maybe PM doesn't support loading .xht pages it saved. Yeah -- I knew it was an internal page, but that didn't stop me from trying to see what would happen if I saved it and whether or not I could restore it! :-) Many times I try things that maybe aren't a normal way of doing things -- never know what might work until I've tried it. ;-)
-A

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-19, 23:10

I'm sorry was I speaking French?

Maybe you need screenshots.
Image2.png
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-05-20, 00:35

french or maybe native...
pm.png
Attachments
pm.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-20, 01:27

right click on the tabs. not the bookmark toolbar.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-20, 21:24

If I close a bunch of tabs one by one like I normally do and close the browser with the last one, when I restart it, if I go to History button (I have the classic File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help bar enabled and showing at the top), left click History, hover on recently closed tabs, go across and down to Restore all tabs, then the ones that were open from before come back. No need to do anything about saving them beforehand. That wouldn't make a permanent record for future use though, it just restores the previous session from a normal shutdown, so might be missing the point.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-05-21, 00:07

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-20, 01:27
right click on the tabs. not the bookmark toolbar.

That's where I was clicking. The bland bar just over the content is what appears when I enable the bookmark toolbar (as all my bookmarks are in a folder in the bookmark bar.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-21, 07:01

Astara wrote:
2021-05-21, 00:07
That's where I was clicking.
No, doesn't seem like you were.
The right-click menu appears where you click and that is clearly in the space -below- the tabs. The options you get shown there are for the bookmarks toolbar, not the tabs. Just because most of your toolbar is empty doesn't mean it's not running all the way to the right :P

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-05-21, 20:09

I kept reading 'bookmark tabs' to mean where the there were tabs on the bookmark bar.

:oops:
Now I see it.

Most the time, can't see the forest cuz of the trees.