libera.chat

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

libera.chat

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-19, 12:48

Context:
https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt - Fuchs' resignation letter
https://web.archive.org/web/20210514121 ... ard.me/407 - niko's resignation letter
https://gist.github.com/aaronmdjones/1a ... dd66b8f491 - amdj's resignation letter
https://gist.github.com/jesopo/45a3e9cd ... eb43b00ed9 - jess's resignation letter
https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8 ... 18af497409 - Freenode staff registration FAQ

Due to the political drama surrounding freenode, and the creation of libera.chat by former freenode staff, I've temporarily taken over #palemoon, ##palemoon, and #binaryoutcast to prevent potential squatting by anti-PM people. I'd happily transfer full founder control to Moonchild and Tobin if they wish to.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: libera.chat

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-19, 13:54

We were repeatedly promised, by both christel and Andrew Lee,
that neither the holding nor Andrew Lee would have any operational impact
on freenode the IRC network.
Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
"Despite a corporate takeover we promise nothing will change for users/clients" has been a broken promise perpetuated in many takeovers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-19, 14:44

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-19, 12:48
prevent potential squatting by anti-PM people
Yeah, one festering subreddit is enough, thanks to not having taken control of it in the early days as an official contact point.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-05-19, 16:58

Such sad news. I have fond memories of IRC, and I'm afraid this will further accelerate its demise.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-19, 17:20

IRC will never die unless ISPs out and out block it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-19, 23:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-19, 17:20
IRC will never die unless ISPs out and out block it.
which might happen if they start blocking everything except https
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-20, 00:12

Binary Outcast will be moving to its own server. So yeah, it is leaving fakenode as soon as possible. However, I won't initially have a web irc setup.. But I will see about getting a cgiblock for kiwi going as well as getting qwebirc installed locally... THAT OUGHT TO BE FUN SEEING AS IT IS A PYTHON THING.. So yeah, it isn't MUCH of a loss really for me since I didn't get a lot of visitors JUST for being on freenode and as far as freenode's and as well as libera's policies I was always walking a fine line.

This will be good though, it has been some time since I ran an ircd. I have already been testing and refreshing my self on it all day.

Once it is fully up and going, anyone who wants a channel for UXP related things like projects or extensions is free to come. There will be some minimal server rules but I intend to give channel owners as much freedom as possible. Unless your name is JustOff or about a dozen others on a Nixon-style list I keep in my head.. Luckily those people wouldn't bother in the first place. As for the rest.. You're all welcome unless you're not.

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2021-05-20, 01:38

thanks tobin.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-05-20, 01:40

Smart move jobbautista.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-05-23, 01:08

Off-topic:
Incidentally, is this the first time a member of a royal family has taken over something significant in the field of tech?
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-23, 20:44

BTW.. The new Binary Outcast IRC is up and going. irc.binaryoutcast.com cleartext port 6667 of course channel #binaryoutcast.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-01, 15:49

And because people just can't live without it apparently, I've re-evaluated he need for an official IRC presence and as such #palemoon on libera.chat is now the official channel.

Of course in good deviant fashion the people who ran double-hash (unofficial ##palemoon, first on Freenode IRC and also moved to libera.chat now) for a while because there was no official channel anymore are now being possessive about it and even saying they want it to remain open because they want to pull a reddit /r/palemoon apparently. People whom I actually previously respected to support the project, not lean against it. (you know who you are...)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-01, 21:56

superkuh was a long time user of #palemoon when we got the channel back from WillPitt because he was misrepresenting us back in the day on moznet.

He started showing signs of resistance during Tycho insisting that some of his computers couldn't be updated from Pale Moon 26 because of critical extensions and rampped up that position with Pale Moon 28 and UXP though he would claim most of them were kept up to date. However, he never mentioned what extensions were so critical but only ever were critical on a subset of his systems.

Other than that odd quirk.. I rather enjoyed speaking to him and having him around as he was one who offered some interesting insights and would occasionally help other users.

Though that was back in the day. By 2019 into 2020 they stayed mostly quiet for unknown reasons during the time I moved my operations to my own channel and the #palemoon channel was more akin to a crowded room of 70 people who would stand and look around akwardly but not say anything for days on end.

Once the channel passed into unoffical status starting the Sajadi-era it was ran by him but for personal reasons it didn't work out so well for the Strawberry Man who couldn't devote enough time to moderating it. Of course I still had access flags and would casually monitor it using the long standing logbot when he wasn't around. Predictably, I noticed a number of minor but disruptive incidents that happened at in the channel including one involving the logbot its self. An agressive user by the name of sh4 complained that the logbot was violating Freenode rules because it's use was not denoted in the channel topic even though it was obvious by the nick what it was and had been in use in the channel for years including links to specific conversations being used in the channel for reference.

The bot was temporary removed and I was informed by another user of the incident. I restored the logbot and let Sajadi know what I did and read the incident first hand since re-inviting the logbot restored access to the logs. I updated the topic per freenode rules and then banned the offending user for his aggressive tone about it ringing very close to demonizing us for process crimes or some shit. Sajadi was kept informed of my actions. During this era superkuh and a few others were starting to rarely speak again.

Sajadi finally admitted he didn't have the time and desire to keep and run the channel and transfered it to me. At that point I sought guidence from Moonchild on just what to do with the channel since at the best times it was silent with no activity for days on end but at worse it became a place where pseudo-users would bash their heads against walls looking for answers to questions already answered on the forum or release notes or the occasional troll would come and shit all over the project.

In order to prevent another /r/palemoon, Moonchild decided to close the channel, seemingly, for good. Moonchild issued the order to disband it and I obeyed. Shortly there after superkuh created the double-hash channel and I occasionally popped in from time to time to witness what was basically the zombie form of the channel except it and a few key users who were never apart of the channel when it was official (one being sh4).

Stay tuned for Part 2 of this historical account. My egg rolls are done.