HUGE porject idea

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
SkyPeppers

HUGE porject idea

Unread post by SkyPeppers » 2021-05-13, 02:14

Palemoon, fast, secure, and easy to use. Now what about making it even more secure by making a duckduckgo clone (ish), because duckduckgo is owned by google it probably still takes data, but if we could make a Palemoon search engine. Not only would it be safer but if we made it so that it could go hand in hand with Palemoon web browser it could even be faster. I might update this in a bit and put my brother's github link here, but if not and someone else starts it up please message me on it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HUGE porject idea

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 04:56

SkyPeppers wrote:
2021-05-13, 02:14
because duckduckgo is owned by google
Please get your facts right before posting next time ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 05:03

Browser developers should NOT be creating search engines NOR should search engines be making browsers. We have seen how badly this can be abused with Google, Microsoft, others. Every damn day people are trying to abuse technology to try and recreate the gated communities like AOL and CompuServe.. This should be resisted by every free thinking person. You do not create a better world by conglomeration. True diversity is the way to grow and no I am not talking about the current day Modern Diversity(tm) that only serves to exclude.

So even if the OP wasn't just full of shit.. It would NOT be a good idea from a moral standpoint in my opinion. It would also be not very possible from an economic one either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 05:31

By the way there is a search engine effort that I briefly looked into that is interesting (a distributed search network). Unfortunately it's written in java (and doesn't scale to larger machines because of a pretty bad memory leak) but the idea is interesting at least. https://yacy.net/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 07:15

That, of course, would be something different vs a monolithic search engine like the big boys have. Too bad it is leaky java.. In this day and age paper towels and other paper products remain in high demand so deff not gonna work.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-13, 07:36

There's also Searx, which looks similar and is implemented in python. https://searx.me/

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 07:55

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-13, 07:36
There's also Searx, which looks similar and is implemented in python. https://searx.me/
Sorry but I prefer Java over Python any day when it comes to heavier applications. IMHO Python is great for small utilities and automation, but not for something like this.
Also, isn't Searx just a front-end for other search engines? that's hardly comparable to actually having an independent search engine.

SkyPeppers

Unread post by SkyPeppers » 2021-06-01, 02:28

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-13, 07:15
That, of course, would be something different vs a monolithic search engine like the big boys have. Too bad it is leaky java.. In this day and age paper towels and other paper products remain in high demand so deff not gonna work.
Thank you so much I didn't do much research on this post and see that it is incorrect but thank you for pointing one out