Linux Forum??

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Linux Forum??

Unread post by tman801 » 2021-05-10, 16:37

Has the Pale Moon Linux Forum been shut down for good?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Linux Forum??

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 16:54

It has been merged into the Browser Support board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2021-05-10, 21:45

I guess Pale Moon users on Linux are a small sub-set of of an already small sub-set of Pale Moon users on Windows, or anywhere. However, being one who is on Linux more than Windows, I’m feeling Linux folks are being hidden away under an inappropriate heading. If it’s a hassle to maintain a separate Linux board then that’s fair, you do the heavy lifting. So just asking to re-instate the Linux board as it was if it ain’t too much trouble.

Thanks much.
Stay away from crowds.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 22:27

basicuser wrote:
2021-05-10, 21:45
I’m feeling Linux folks are being hidden away under an inappropriate heading.
Excuse me?... It's actually the opposite. All browser support regardless of O.S. is given the same priority if it's all in one board. What's inappropriate about the "Browser Support" heading for support requests with the browser on Linux? :?:
basicuser wrote:
If it’s a hassle to maintain a separate Linux board
It is if people have trouble picking the correct board to post in. This simplification was done for everyone's benefit; a high degree of organisation is no longer beneficial in 2021 as (almost) everyone has placed more importance in just dropping requests in the first place that is somewhat applicable than taking a few more moments to find the correct place in a hierarchy of boards.
basicuser wrote:
just asking to re-instate the Linux board as it was
Not possible. This merger can't be undone.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-05-10, 22:31

The Linux forum was mainly important when Linux support was new and Linux-specific issues were plenty, but lately people just post in there if they have general web-related issues and just happen to be on Linux.

It doesn't need to be a thing anymore.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-10, 22:32

Very few items are OS specific in practice. The majority of issues applies across the bar and the artifical split has proven to contribute to duplicate threads and such. Linux users tend not to read Windows threads, Windows users don't read Linux threads, some posters assume if they are on that os they should only post there whatever is it and add in various support vs bug boards.. It was just a jumble of fragmented lines of communication.

OS Specific is the exception not the rule when the majority of the codebase is cross-platform code.

Now as Moonchild and Ryan have said, Linux support isn't new nor is considered 3rd party contrib and all mainline builds regardless of os target are treated the same as they have been from our perspective for a long time now. It is just now it is represented in forum structure as well.

All users can now have a better chance to collaborate on general issues and support on ONE board which could help better identify if it actually is OS specific or a cross-platform since users will be able to chime in if they also have said issue merely because they aren't walled off by their OS of intrest.

Also allows board specific search. Please use it.

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2021-05-11, 00:45

Thank all of you who responded. This is just another way I have to adapt to use a computer. I adapted from Windows to Linux and never looked back. I adapted from IE to several other browsers, then to Firefox until they changed. Then I found Pale Moon and fell in love with it. So as long as people, who are smarter than me, keep making extensions that work in Pale Moon I will be happy. So to all of you people who are working to make Pale Moon better keep up the good work. :clap:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-11, 01:28

You should think more of your self. Everything we have done .. except maybe some stuff deep in the bowls of the JS engine.. could be done by anyway. The only difference is we happened to do them when we did them. You are just as capable with as much potential as anyone.

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2021-05-11, 09:54

Moonchild, thank you for your consideration and explanation.

New Tobin Paradigm and Lootyhoof, first thing I did was a search for Linux and got back over 12,000 returns, so yeah, easy to find the subject and thank you both for your explanations.
Stay away from crowds.