YouTube fullscreen then back again - high cpu usage

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

YouTube fullscreen then back again - high cpu usage

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-04-29, 21:55

This is not specific to Pale Moon, more a general You Tube problem, as Chromium did the same, also I tried Pale Moon in Artix with a clean profile, and tried using Devuan (which has quite different OS software versions.) If I hit full screen on You Tube it uses quite a bit of CPU, as the fan speeds up, but when I exit full screen it still carries on using quite a bit of CPU, more than before, also it can hang on full screen for a while and not switch quickly back, and do weird things like fill the browser window for a while and the browser might become unresponsive until it has resolved back to the regular size. It didn't used to be like this.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: YouTube fullscreen then back again - high cpu usage

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-29, 22:58

Complain to Youtube. It's pretty telling if it also happens in their preferred web client (Chromium).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-29, 23:16

To be fair, sometimes I get high CPU usage even with scripts disabled (by a content blocker) and I'm amazed something like this is even possible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-30, 09:24

It's perfectly possible to create page code without scripting that fully bogs down any browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-30, 10:10

The whole problem is the shift of the web from displaying pages with a little dynamic content to full blown applications that don't respect the browser navigation controls, or offer meaningful page titles so that you can easily navigate to them in history. And like applications compiled to binary code, they do their best to mangle, minify and obfuscate their code so that no human can make sense of it unlike how it was before.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-04, 13:35

Yeah this is pretty much the exact same problem I'm having. no solution yet.