UXP based application

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
djgpp

UXP based application

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-13, 05:53

Hi. I'm not good at licensing problem. Could I develop proprietary application using UXP? Or I forced to release the source with the same license as UXP itself? Thanks.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: UXP based application

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-04-13, 06:03

djgpp wrote:
2021-04-13, 05:53
Hi. I'm not good at licensing problem. Could I develop proprietary application using UXP? Or I forced to release the source with the same license as UXP itself? Thanks.
This depends on the license, there are different licenses in use.
https://www.palemoon.org/licensing.shtml
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... er/LICENSE
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... cense.html
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-13, 06:26

You could create a proprietary application based on UXP, and not have it Open Source licensed, provided that:
  • Your application code is written from scratch and doesn't use existing application code from Open Source licenced applications like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Ambassador, Xulrunner, etc.
  • You either use a completely unaltered UXP platform with clear indication of the source, or release the platform source code if any modifications have been made.
  • Your application contains a notice that it is based on UXP and that UXP is released under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. Credit is required in the licensing.
  • You must also comply with the secondary licenses in use in the UXP source; you may possibly have to exclude certain features if they are incompatible with your application's intended proprietary licensing, although to my knowledge there should not be any major issues.
If you have any doubts about the specifics, I suggest you contact your lawyer to evaluate creating a larger work based on UXP code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

djgpp

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-13, 07:53

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-13, 06:26
You could create a proprietary application based on UXP, and not have it Open Source licensed, provided that:
  • Your application code is written from scratch and doesn't use existing application code from Open Source licenced applications like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Ambassador, Xulrunner, etc.
  • You either use a completely unaltered UXP platform with clear indication of the source, or release the platform source code if any modifications have been made.
  • Your application contains a notice that it is based on UXP and that UXP is released under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. Credit is required in the licensing.
  • You must also comply with the secondary licenses in use in the UXP source; you may possibly have to exclude certain features if they are incompatible with your application's intended proprietary licensing, although to my knowledge there should not be any major issues.
If you have any doubts about the specifics, I suggest you contact your lawyer to evaluate creating a larger work based on UXP code.
Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-13, 07:54