Ready Boost

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Ready Boost

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2021-04-12, 02:39

IonMonkey is really only useful for apps that use Canvas. Most sites never use it and the baseline JIT offers very good speed generally speaking.

Seriously compare your RAM usage with it vs without it and see. Also the time it takes to actually load a page.

Also you should disable WebASM because that will keep clickbait sites from using your PC to mine.
Never forget nor forgive the Addonocalypse.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-12, 03:05

I would just download more ram if IonMonkey ever caused my 32gbs of ram to run out. This board should support up to at least 64gbs. MAYBE 128 but I'd have to likely fuck with updating the firmware. Also, Pale Moon has an easy to access GUI tick box to enable and disable WASM.

I also have it in Borealis that will totally get released this year...
7549e976-9780-4fb8-b32f-3a8ba36977ab.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-12, 10:39

tcaudilllg wrote:
2021-04-12, 02:39
IonMonkey is really only useful for apps that use Canvas. Most sites never use it
I'm sorry but you are completely misinformed.
IonMonkey will be used by any scripting, although there is a threshold which scripts will be JITed by it in terms of how 'hot" they are that it warrants the compilation investment.
It has nothing to do with canvas.
tcaudilllg wrote:
the baseline JIT offers very good speed generally speaking.
It offers reasonable speed. Certainly not the levels people have come to expect from JS execution.
tcaudilllg wrote:
Also you should disable WebASM because that will keep clickbait sites from using your PC to mine.
If you're worried about WASM being used to mine cryptocurrency, then you should employ a blocklist filter to block crypto sites, not disable the technology overall. But, it's your choice.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite