Gotta Go

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
YbraarbY

Gotta Go

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2021-04-04, 04:07

All I know is that Pale Moon blocks me too often for me to find it useful. (I will be blamed for not knowing how to adjust settings. I'm used to that. There's some truth to it, but it's gotten to the point where that can't explain everything.) I'm getting messages here and there about the browser no longer being supported. I had to recently do remote training (because of the covid scam) and the company I work for, G4S Security, just makes zero effort to communicate with us in any proper fashion. I received no technical information about Google Meet, which I've never used before. I was given a link and that's all. On the day of the training (after we figured out that Yandex wasn't even allowing G4S's emails to get through; which may not have been because of Yandex), I attempted to sign in. As I had never done Google Meet before, I didn't realize that my screen, on PM, was missing the sign-in line. I missed my training (and weeks of work) four times in a row because of crap like that. I also use Epic browser and Ccleaner browswer. Frantically, on my fourth attempt to sign-in, I fired up my Epic browser and saw the same, mostly, screen. Then I fired up my Ccleaner browser and that's when I saw, for the first time, a sign-in line. I tested it and it worked but I was an hour late for the session and I couldn't be let in.

I just now tried to go to Instagram, but was met with the message that my browser is no longer accepted. (I absolutely can live without social networking platforms like Instagram, but that's not really my point.)

I have deleted the browser and re-installed it, being sure to remove (with BCUninstaller) all tiny bits of the browswer. I figured that maybe in my ignorance I changed something to cause all of my problems. That didn't do anything for me at all. I am only on Pale Moon because I came from Firefox (because Mozilla had jumped on the censorship bandwagon). But I have to try to find another browser to serve as my main browser. My main browser must allow me to blog on WordPress the way I am at present. Greasemonkey for Pale Moon (together with userscripts from another WP user) has allowed me to use WordPress. WP has been dumbing down, and making more complicated, it's platform for many years and without those userscripts, I probably wouldn't be able to do (at least easily) what I'm doing at present. My blogging is the most important thing I'm doing. My blog is titled "A Yappy Trade Barrier." (If you use censorious Google to get to it, you'll be disappointed.)

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Gotta Go

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-04-04, 06:50

Please create a new Pale Moon profile, do not change any settings or install addons and then check if the sites work.
Instagram works.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2021-04-04, 10:38

I don't know what you mean by 'new profile'. I uninstalled and re-installed without fooling around with settings already. Yes, I added a few things (Greasemonkey and some userscripts) but really those were next to nothing. But I'll try one more time. But it looks to me like I have to find a browser that isn't evil and that will allow me to function and, especially, blog the way I have been blogging. I have no confidence that I'm going to succeed here.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-04, 11:47

You can create a new profile using about:profiles, or by launching Pale Moon with the -p option from the console.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2021-04-05, 03:09

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-04-04, 11:47
You can create a new profile using about:profiles, or by launching Pale Moon with the -p option from the console.
If the OP doesn't know what a "new profile" is, your suggestion is probably going to be Greco-Roman to him.

Yo, YbraarbY, while I hate to say it, Chrome/its variants, is the "standard" now. Those should work. Have you tried any of them? (Assuming you have to leave Pale Moon, of course.)
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-05, 03:54

YbraarbY wrote:
2021-04-04, 04:07
All I know is that Pale Moon blocks me too often for me to find it useful.
Why do people always blame the browser? It's not Pale Moon blocking you, it's the Gobble inspired monoculture blocking you.

prengle
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by prengle » 2021-04-05, 06:33

i mean, yes, you should be blaming alphabet for playing such a big part in butchering the web and mocking the hacks who adore using webcomponents where it isn't needed, but at the end of the day, if these sites don't work in pale moon then less and less people are going to bother with using it. it's unfair to expect every single """web standard""" like webrtc to be supported and in some ways that's a good thing, but webcomponents are only becoming more and more threatening as time marches on

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-05, 09:38

Not sure why you are stating the obvious.
Google WebComponents are almost the exclusive territory of certain frameworks and Google services. The problem is that with the level of abstraction going on there, that the people in charge of web front-ends simply don't understand what they are building on and in what way it affects the landscape (or the resulting document structure or demands on client-side computing power, for that matter). They assume every update of their framework is essential, every update makes them "more secure" or "more agile" or whatever else fluff they filled their heads with, and as long as it works on Chrome who cares if it effectively supports anti-competitive behavior?
Soydevs are ruining the web
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2021-04-05, 13:58

I know zilch about profiles. In any case, I uninstalled (all the bits as well) and re-installed. And before doing a single thing, I found Twitter. I'm blocked. But I'm not blocked by my other browsers. And that's just Twitter. I'd love to stay with Pale Moon, but the lady is costing me. I need to be able to function. Ergo...

Thanks anyway.

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2021-04-05, 14:07

I just hit send on the above comment when I got a notice to download the latest PM, which I did. Again, the first thing I tried was Twitter. This time I got the site and could log in. Then I tried another site (2nd): https://www.rosemaryfrei.ca/

It did not fully load. I immediately copied and pasted the exact same url into my Epic browser. It showed me everything. This is exhausting. I can't troubleshoot properly. I just don't have that ability. See above (profiles).

prengle
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by prengle » 2021-04-05, 14:11

it's time to start extolling the virtues of writing sites in raw html again and evangelizing people.. it's good for your soul

and as nightmarish (and horrendously laggy) as twitter is, i've never had any issues reading it in pale moon even as people complain more and more about it breaking; maybe i'll be in for a fun surprise soon, who knows

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2021-04-05, 14:17

For the record, I just tried your 'rosemary' link in Pale Moon and 2 out-of-date Firefox variants; it wouldn't fully load. Tried it in UR (a Chrome variant), and it did load.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2021-04-05, 19:19

Perhaps there should be laws against using non-standard components on the internet, particularly for commercial sites.

I don't much like the direction the 'Net is headed. In large part it's a revisitation of past mistakes... ActiveX, Java, Flash were bad but WebComponents and WebASM is good? How? Google has mostly converted W3C into a front for itself... every "advance" for the internet is something they and MS have gamed out between themselves well in advance, to help them control everything and establish early mover advantage.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-05, 21:59

They bypassed the W3C partly with these Working Groups rendering W3C mostly irrelevant then infiltrated it once the W3C started showing weakness and caving to Google Demands now they have defacto control of all of it.

tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2021-04-06, 14:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-05, 21:59
They bypassed the W3C partly with these Working Groups rendering W3C mostly irrelevant then infiltrated it once the W3C started showing weakness and caving to Google Demands now they have defacto control of all of it.
Interesting... can you point me to specific situations in which Google prevailed over W3C doubts?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 17:01

tcaudilllg wrote:
2021-04-06, 14:22
Interesting... can you point me to specific situations in which Google prevailed over W3C doubts?
Look up public record on MSE, EME, standards "voting" by paying members only, and the strong-arming going on to push it through to standard despite resistance. That should give you some idea.
Then look up the WHATWG and other *WG workgroups that have adopted a "standards" voting system where there are only 2 implementer votes needed, and consider that Google pays for controlled opposition to get the second vote on anything they please.

I could go on but it's all bee discussed before and is part of public record already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2021-04-06, 17:18

I'm thinking of doing an article on Google's monopoly tactics vis a vis the W3C, is why I was asking. Particularly regarding Firefox, Palemoon, and K Meleon.
Google pays for controlled opposition to get the second vote
You mean Mozilla? So it's a sham, really.

Is there a major difficulty implementing web component technology (apart from merging Firefox into Palemoon?)
Never forget nor forgive the Addonocalypse.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 19:28

tcaudilllg wrote:
2021-04-06, 17:18
You mean Mozilla? So it's a sham, really.
Certainly looks like it, don't it?
tcaudilllg wrote:
2021-04-06, 17:18
Is there a major difficulty implementing web component technology (apart from merging Firefox into Palemoon?)
:roll: I'm sorry but you clearly are unaware of what is what.

Firefox has nothing to do with Pale Moon, and neither application has anything to do with the technology (which is part of the platform, not the application).

Yes there are major difficulties implementing Google WebComponents. For some background please read my open letter to the web dev community in March last year detailing some of the difficulties with it and why.

tcaudilllg
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by tcaudilllg » 2021-04-07, 13:45

https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebComponents/ <- this different than what you are talking about?
Never forget nor forgive the Addonocalypse.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-07, 14:10

tcaudilllg wrote:
2021-04-07, 13:45
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebComponents/ <- this different than what you are talking about?
No, that's the same stuff, but very outdated.