Adobe exploiting Pale Moon to Phone Home

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
thejerseydevil

Unread post by thejerseydevil » 2021-03-23, 22:18

Adobe corporation is exploiting my Pale Moon browser to "phone home." I have all Adobe software on my computers blocked from connecting to the Internet by the Firewall of my current Antivirus (McAfee) and on my router.

The native Firewall on my Windows 7 Desktop WILL NOT BLOCK ADOBE. I assume Windows has hard-coded a backdoor port for Adobe or somehow White-listed Adobe from being blocked. Even my texts file will not block Adobe. Otherwise, the texts file is operating normally. I can block facebook, Google etc.

Since, I cannot block the designated ports assigned to Pale Moon and retain functionality of the browser (it won't connect to the internet if it's assigned ports are blocked), I had to block the Adobe addresses exploiting Pale Moon in my router.

For tens years I was using a free AntiVirus, Avast. A short time ago, I noticed that an Adobe 'validation' exe file had been installed at precisely the moment the Avast software updated itself. I deleted the Avast software, and purchased a license key for Kaspersky, of which I had heard good things.
And then I noticed an exe file in the Kaspersky software suite (avp.exe) was being exploited by Adobe to connect to a remote server. To phone home. I uninstalled the Kaspersky software and I am currently using McAfee, which actually blocks 'all' of the programmes on my computer from establishing a connection to the internet, with the exception of my browser and email client (the only two I allow). I revoke port access for my p2p client after use.

How is Adobe doing this? Has Adobe found an exploit in both Pale Moon 'and' Kaspersky? Or is one or the other working with Adobe to provide a back door in to and out of my computer? Or, has Adobe compromised the security of my PC and network, allowing it to exploit whatever port it chooses?

Adobe is famous for the aggressive defense of its intellectual property rights. I believe Adobe has crossed the line of ethical behaviour by installing what I consider spyware and viruses on my computer. The Adobe programmes on my computer are licensed and legally purchased. I value my security over saving a few dollars. I have '0' pirated software on my devices. However, once I buy a software programme from Adobe, this is where my relationship with Adobe ends. Adobe Corporation is not welcome on my network. I am not interested in sharing data, validating my software every millisecond, or uploading/downloading anything from Adobe's cloud.

ATTACHED IMAGE PALE MOON (ADOBE BACK DOOR)

ATTACHED IMAGE KASPERSKY (ADOBE BACK DOOR)

JD

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Adobe exploiting Pale Moon to Phone Home

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-24, 00:03

I'd say there's a lot of assumption and conjecture in your post.
If any connection is made through Pale Moon to an adobe asset, then that is done through web content; aside from blocking the web content from being loaded in the first place (i.e. by not going to adobe websites or having adobe software launch the browser) the browser itself can't be expected to arbitrarily block its primary function: interacting with web content.
thejerseydevil wrote:
2021-03-23, 22:18
The Adobe programmes on my computer are licensed and legally purchased. I value my security over saving a few dollars. I have '0' pirated software on my devices. However, once I buy a software programme from Adobe, this is where my relationship with Adobe ends.
I'm afraid you are mistaken. It's a common misconception that when you buy software, you own it like property. In most cases, you do not. When you buy Adobe software you buy a license to use it. Adobe is fully in its rights to verify that your use of their software is legitimate and that you are authorized to do so. "Activation" of software by using an often one-time connection to an authentication server with cryptographic exchange of data is common to make sure that the software was installed by an authorized user. If you block normal direct access by Adobe's own software, then opening a web page through a system browser is a common fallback. That is not "exploiting" the browser, it is not a "back door"; it is "making use of" the browser as an internet-capable application to go through the software activation process.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2021-03-24, 01:09

Regarding to your two images : 127.0.0.1 is localhost, these are network connections internal to your system which don't access the outer world. Quite common for modern programs to use this path of communication. Pale moon does it, so does Kaspersky and many more.

The interesting question is why in the next to last column adobe host names are mentioned. I don't know which software produced this images, the table header, which might give some explanation to the column is missing.

thejerseydevil

Unread post by thejerseydevil » 2021-03-24, 02:30

"I'd say there's a lot of assumption and conjecture in your post.
If any connection is made through Pale Moon to an adobe asset, then that is done through web content; aside from blocking the web content from being loaded in the first place (i.e. by not going to adobe websites or having adobe software launch the browser) the browser itself can't be expected to arbitrarily block its primary function: interacting with web content."
No. It isn't done through the web content.

1. Adobe isn't launching the browser.
2. Pale Moon is surreptitiously connecting to a remote Adobe server as soon as I launch the browser to the home page. I am not visiting 'any' webpage. I am not visiting an Adobe website. I don't even have an Adobe application open when this happens. There are no Adobe apps running on startup, and they are only running as a process when an application is in use.
3. The only evidence of this stealth connection is the report of its presence in my network monitoring tools.
4. This connection is being facilitated by the Pale Moon browser, not merely assisted.

I'll give Pale Moon the benefit of the doubt.

I only have two plugins on my Pale Moon browser. One is from McAfee. The other is a very old and outdated plugin called AdobeAAMDetect. It must have self-installed without my permission many years ago. By default, the plugin could not be disabled. Hmmmm.....
I needed to disable the plugin through about:config by changing the 'value' of the file from '0' to '999'
Perhaps even disabled, this plugin is hijacking my browser to call home?

There is only one extension on my Pale Moon browser: Adblock Latitude 5.0.8
I hate to think that this is the culprit, though I'm fully aware these addons are themselves spyware to a degree.

Adobe was also connecting to the same remote server via an Kaspersky executable file (avp.exe). Kaspersky is not a Browser.

My firewall successfully blocks all programmes on my computer from connecting to the Internet without my permission. But, somehow, Adobe is managing to phone home through your browser.

Perhaps I didn't articulate the issue well enough in my initial post.

I reiterate. Adobe is connecting to a remote Adobe server as soon as I open my Pale Moon browser. I understand how browser's work. If I type adobe.com in my address bar, Pale Moon will connect to adobe.com I am not typing adobe.com into my address bar. Pale Moon is connecting to an Adobe server on its own. Secretly. Like a Virus.

I am somewhat dismayed by your apparent contempt for a security and privacy conscious Pale Moon user. One of the reasons I've been so loyal to this browser (despite its limitations), is that I perceived it to be one of the few browsers that haven't sold out. Perhaps I shouldn't make assumptions.

Pale Moon enjoys a .02 share of the browser market. These are mostly users who dumped Mozilla after it sold out and became just another giant piece of spyware/Adware like Chrome and Explorer. The 'approved' browsers.

Respectfully,

JD

thejerseydevil

Unread post by thejerseydevil » 2021-03-24, 02:51

karlkracher wrote:
2021-03-24, 01:09

The interesting question is why in the next to last column adobe host names are mentioned. I don't know which software produced this images, the table header, which might give some explanation to the column is missing.
The previous screenshot was taken from a lightweight port monitoring software called cports by NIRSOFT. I have added a screenshot from my native Windows 7 Resource Monitor/Network Activity. Below:

JD

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-24, 02:59

The Adobe plugin is the issue. It is a plugin to facilitate the Adobe Application Manager - it will have been installed system-wide by Adobe software and will be picked up by any compatible browser by design. System-installed plugins also cannot be uninstalled from within the browser, so that supports what you're seeing.
thejerseydevil wrote:
2021-03-24, 02:30
Perhaps even disabled, this plugin is hijacking my browser to call home?
Disabled plugins aren't loaded and cannot do anything, but it's possible that the Adobe software installed on your system is what is preventing the plugin from being disabled (you should at all times be able to disable them from within your add-on manager; if you can't do that, then changing a value within about:config might not actually disable it either).
thejerseydevil wrote:
There is only one extension on my Pale Moon browser: Adblock Latitude 5.0.8
I hate to think that this is the culprit, though I'm fully aware these addons are themselves spyware to a degree.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Adblock Latitude is most definitely not spyware!
thejerseydevil wrote:
I am somewhat dismayed by your apparent contempt for a security and privacy conscious Pale Moon user.
I really think you need to re-evaluate what you're saying here. Pale Moon is in many ways using a lot more privacy and security conscious development as "mainstream" browsers and always has. There is no contempt and suggesting it is something I do take rather personal. While I understand you are worried about these connections it is also not something we have direct control over in the browser. It is apparently, from a quick search engine search, something rather common to occur not only through Pale Moon, but also through e.g. Safari and other browsers. We are also not privy to what this plugin does, what has installed it and why it is there, but like I said before it is very likely to be a fallback to connect "at all costs" to Adobe through software that is known to not be blocked in firewalls; for pirated software it has regularly been common practice to deny connections of the software itself in firewalls so it's only logical that Adobe responded by trying to bypass that by forcefully going through installed browser software -- you cannot blame the browser software for that.

As for a solution: potential ones include manually uninstalling this plugin from your system; go to about:plugins to see the full path to the plugin in question. it may be as simple as renaming the .dll to something else on your system to prevent it from loading. I'm not familiar with the Adobe application manager though so maybe a few web searches will help you get rid of it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-24, 03:03

This superuser page may help. it explains some about what it is, and why it is needed. It's suggested you do not uninstall it because Adobe software apparently needs it (as I already hinted). But you can do so with a cleaner tool, apparently.

https://superuser.com/questions/964449/what-is-the-adobeaamdetect-plugin-and-how-can-i-uninstall-it

More potential hits here: DDG search

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2021-03-24, 08:54

Well, the title here is a bit misleading. Pale Moon is not the problem in this case!

Don't use the onboard Firewall on Windows! They've deliberately built in a whitelist for certain web services to pass through their Hosts file! Dammit, I can't find a link to prove that now, but it was about entries for Microsoft servers and their ad network being ignored in the Hosts file. That was even the case with Windows XP. Anyways, Microsoft can't be trusted! Get yourself a proper router (maybe have a look at OpenWRT) and stick everything you didn't authorise in the respective filter lists.

MY computer is MY castle.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-24, 10:20

thejerseydevil wrote:
The Adobe programmes on my computer are licensed and legally purchased.
Unless you bought them more than 6 or 7 years ago, you don't own them anymore. Adobe has long since changed over to a subscription model for all their software, you are required to create an account and sign in similar to MS Office 365, and thus by definition it will phone home at the minimum to verify your credentials. Add to that whatever analytics crap they have included to track how their software gets used, as is the fashion these days. AdobeDTM is their own analytics product and you will find scripts from there used on most websites. It's a good idea to blacklist adobedtm.com in your adblocker or firewall, it serves no purpose other than tracking/analytics.
thejerseydevil wrote:
As an addon developer for Pale Moon myself, I'd take offense to that kind of baseless blanket assertion.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2021-03-24, 10:53

I took an image with cports and got the following.
cports.png
This is a pale moon internal connection, the remote host name is added by cports because your host file (or your router) says that this host name has the ip 127.0.0.1. The host name i blacked out i have added with 127.0.0.1 to my host file. Your connection monitoring tool gets the wrong answer to the question "what is the host name of 127.0.0.1", which isn't really the wrong answer because you told your system that it has to be the answer. You might google for "3dns.adobe.com", looks to me like a shot into your own foot.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-24, 12:43

karlkracher wrote:
2021-03-24, 10:53
Your connection monitoring tool gets the wrong answer to the question "what is the host name of 127.0.0.1", which isn't really the wrong answer because you told your system that it has to be the answer. You might google for "3dns.adobe.com", looks to me like a shot into your own foot.
This exactly. I was wondering if anyone would get that. Good job! :thumbup:

thejerseydevil

Unread post by thejerseydevil » 2021-03-24, 13:57

moonbat wrote:
2021-03-24, 10:20
thejerseydevil wrote:
The Adobe programmes on my computer are licensed and legally purchased.
Unless you bought them more than 6 or 7 years ago, you don't own them anymore. Adobe has long since changed over to a subscription model for all their software, you are required to create an account and sign in similar to MS Office 365, and thus by definition it will phone home at the minimum to verify your credentials. Add to that whatever analytics crap they have included to track how their software gets used, as is the fashion these days. AdobeDTM is their own analytics product and you will find scripts from there used on most websites. It's a good idea to blacklist adobedtm.com in your adblocker or firewall, it serves no purpose other than tracking/analytics.

Yes, I did buy them 6 or 7 years ago!

CONCERNING ADOBE

The premise that Adobe has a right to snoop around on my computer, is absurd.
My Adobe software is ten years old. I purchased hard copies of the software at 'Best Buy.'
I purchased and activated the software 'before' Adobe pivoted to its 'rental' or cloud model. Adobe doesn't have the prerogative of changing its terms of service or contract retroactively. I am in no way obligated to maintain a relationship with Adobe. I am entitled to use the software I purchased for the tasks it was designed in perpetuity. When I design an image in Illustrator, or write a style sheet in Dreamweaver, or convert a Microsoft Publisher file to pdf before sending a book to kdp or Lulu, I have no obligation to share my work on the cloud or any metadata attached to it.

I own a Jeep. Stellantis doesn't require me to call them every day and ask their permission to drive it.

I am not legally required to connect my device to the internet. So how could I be obligated in any way (legally or ethically) to allow Adobe to phone home from my computer?

I do not have a particular issue with Adobe. I am equally opposed to my external hard drives contacting Toshiba. I have removed Epson's 'Customer Participation' application etc. Am I obligated to share data with Epson every time I use my printer? Of course not.

Your defense of giant multinational corporations and the corporate-government data collection grid is concerning.
These entities are not a friend of Pale Moon. As an independent browser, the establishment will do everything it can to make Pale Moon inoperable or an inconvenience for users. I couldn't log into my Walmart account from Pale Moon for a week until the first subsequent update of the software. The establishment want everyone using the "approved" browsers: Microsoft, Google, Mozilla and Opera. Bloated spyware engines tied into the grid and signed on to the agenda.

I'm not naive. I am sure that if Pale Moon ever attains a critical mass of users, enough to make it worthwhile for Google to bribe its developers into whitelisting Adsense and disallowing any Addon that interferes with Google's marketing strategies or data-collection (as the scum at Mozilla) have done, those developers will take the money and run. Good luck.

And please. Spare me the righteous indignation. Am I supposed to believe you invest so much time, effort, resources and money in developing Pale Moon for fun? No. You are making a long term investment with the intent of eventually making money from it. I have no problem with that. Just be honest. And making money with a browser always involves data-collection and selling that data to third parties, or serving ads.

Pale Moon is a great browser. I love it. I'm addicted to it. Because I have blocked all apps from connecting to the internet and keep my devices uncluttered and running at peak efficiency, Pale Moon loads web pages liked greased lightening. It's the fastest browser I've ever used, it's light on resources, it's free of bloatware, and the interface is convenient and easy to use. For years, I have recommended it to everyone.

However, when I connect to the internet through Tor, Brave, or even Explorer, Adobe doesn't show up in my port sniffers. It always shows up when I use Pale Moon. Of course I have now blocked Adobe and all its sub-domains at the router.

I know that as Pale Moon's chief developer you are very busy, and so I sincerely thank you for your generous time and attention. Quite frankly, I'd like to quit Pale Moon, but I have to be honest. There isn't a viable alternative. Pale Moon isn't perfect regarding security and privacy, but it's ten thousand times better than the alternatives. Tor is great if you want to surf the internet at 1993 AOL dial-up speeds....lol
thejerseydevil wrote:

As an addon developer for Pale Moon myself, I'd take offense to that kind of baseless blanket assertion.

Come on. Why do people develop apps? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Most apps are collecting data with an intent to monetize that data. Even Wordpress Avatars are a tracking cookie.
I qualified my statement with "most." I didn't point any fingers at 'your' apps. There are White Hats and Black Hats, and perhaps even Grey Hats. I have no idea what color hat you wear. I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Since Mozilla now prohibits any addon that genuinely safeguards a user's privacy or blocks 'all' advertising or trackers, I am quite grateful for your apps. However, you need to tweek 'Secret Agent.' It doesn't spoof screen resolution or color depth.

Best of luck.

P.S. Why do you allow plugins to embed themselves into the client like an alien face-sucker? Not every user has the skill set to safely remove this crap from the underlying code. Why not a simple 'uninstall' option?

JD

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-03-24, 14:29

thejerseydevil wrote:
2021-03-24, 13:57
Why do people develop apps? Out of the kindness of their hearts?
I cannot comment on the intent of programmers of computer programs made in recent years, but plenty of people have created (smaller) computer programs over the years for the same reason that most Pale Moon add-on developers make and release add-ons: because they themselves find the functionality (of the program or add-on) helpful, and wish to share that functionality with others in the hope that others are also able to make use of it (the program or add-on.)

So, yes: "out of the goodness of one's heart" (or a similar reason) can certainly be why a particular program or add-on is made. Perhaps it is not the reason in the overwhelming number of cases (generally speaking, but also especially these days), but I would say that you will find a earnestly generous and helpful mentality far more often within the Pale Moon community than you will find it elsewhere in the tech world.
thejerseydevil wrote:
I'm not naive. I am sure that if Pale Moon ever attains a critical mass of users
I'm going to stop you right there.

You seem incredibly cynical. Very unfortunate. Cynicism is not a mark of wisdom, but is (rather) the defining characteristic of a crotchety and jaded old grump.

While it is theoretically possible that Moonchild could sell out at some point, he has given his word to the community that he would not do so. I take him at his word. He has always come off as a principled individual.

This is all not to mention that the core community that uses the browser would not stand for such a move anyway.

And, also: Pale Moon can be forked by anyone. That is one of the most compelling aspects of freedomware.

So I don't think that you have anything to worry about on that front, sir.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-24, 14:50

So you are literally a moron? You really think everyone here is on the take and out to get you and you ignore easily verified facts presented.

Let me hit YOU with some shit..

Adobe and most commercial software has terms YOU agreed to that require license verification over the internet at any or all times. You do NOT own Adobe Products you PAID ONLY for a license to USE them which have terms that must be legally obeyed.

Here is another one: Yes, Moonchild does make money from Pale Moon and as a result all contributed work to it and the Unified XUL Platform. He gets barely enough to survive and keep the lights on and food in his belly. That's about it. He is by no means getting rich off it.

If we suddenly became the second or third or even fourth popular browser out there he still use what money is made to make the projects better and maybe even pay some of US on a regular basis. Then I might be able to have say the Add-ons Server covered instead of paying for it out of my own pocket every month for over five years and not have to eBeg for help funding a new monitor when mine goes out.

You are sorely mistaken when it comes to your perception of us. You ASSUME that if we ever got to that point we would sell out to Google et all. Like Waterfox Alex did to that adclick company. Nooooo. This is totally wrong. Moonchild has stated numerous times he would destroy it all rather than sell out. Indeed he was even offered a position at Mozilla so they could effectively kill Pale Moon as a project. He told them basically to fuck off.

And I can tell you that if Moonchild ever did sell out.. I would so completely destroy this project it would be completely worthless by the time it was done. Hell, some idiots think I am destroying it daily just by being here think what would happen if Moonchild went rogue.

We are all here fighting the good fight because the only other choice is to give up. It would be so much easier to do so than be considered the human garbage you actually are on a constant basis merely for wanting to do something contrary to the mainstream status quo.

For the lot of us, doing this is far beyond any amount of dollar signs that can be garnered from it and some of us are in a negative cash flow position doing it. So take your ignorance and self entitlement and shove it str8 up your ass.

Good day, sir.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-03-25, 02:49

thejerseydevil wrote:
P.S. Why do you allow plugins to embed themselves into the client like an alien face-sucker? Not every user has the skill set to safely remove this crap from the underlying code. Why not a simple 'uninstall' option?
Because the browser doesn't have the write permissions to do that. And it's out-of-scope for the browser to do that anyway.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-26, 09:25

thejerseydevil wrote:
Your defense of giant multinational corporations
I am not defending them you halfwit, I am pointing out the facts as they are in less colorful language than what Tobin used to lay out and that in retrospect makes me wish I had too.
thejerseydevil wrote:
Am I supposed to believe you invest so much time, effort, resources and money in developing Pale Moon for fun? No. You are making a long term investment with the intent of eventually making money from it. I have no problem with that. Just be honest.
No, fuck you and your shitty gaslighting about the intentions of me and others here given that you know nothing about anyone here. Let alone me, there are others here like vannilla with far more complex extensions like eMatrix for which we are all grateful and they make exactly zero money off of. Get it into your thick skull that just because the only software devs you have encountered are parasitic leeches, that doesn't mean everyone else is.
thejerseydevil wrote:
Come on. Why do people develop apps? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Most apps are collecting data with an intent to monetize that data. Even Wordpress Avatars are a tracking cookie.
This has got to win the award for the most imbecilic, thoughtless and ignorant statement ever seen in the context of open source software. Any other context you may have meant is by definition irrelevant given both this browser and its addon community.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-26, 09:50

Everyone, go have some tea and calm down. I'll ignore the accusations in light of preserving the peace but just saying that Moonbat, Tharthan and Tobin are absolutely right.

Getting back on-topic, I'm pretty sure the plugin can simply be disabled from the add-on manager, BUT since I don't have the relevant "application manager" installed I do not know what all it does. When disabled, the relevant dll is not loaded at all and it is equal to not having the plugin installed on your system from the browser's point of view. That way "calling home" through the browser will be prevented; however, as stated before it is likely necessary for your legal use of Adobe software you are licensed. If you continue having issues with the plugin then please ask Adobe for help, too. It's their software and the most we could ever do is guess what all it does to your system when installed.

Bottom line is while Pale Moon may be a vessel through which contact with Adobe servers is made (because connecting to servers is its primary function as a web browser) you cannot blame it for doing what it is designed to do. That would be like blaming Pale Moon for displaying ads on your screen that you didn't explicitly request.

Features Bloat

Unread post by Features Bloat » 2021-03-26, 10:27

Uhm, so I may be completely off here, but seeing 127.0.0.1 in relation to anything other than localhost is usually a sign of hosts file modifications. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing here, OP? A common mistake people make when setting up their hosts file to block certain undesirable connections, such as those hardcoded into Firefox now, is to not declare 0.0.0.0 as 0.0.0.0 in the hosts file before they start setting for example "0.0.0.0 content-signature-2.cdn.mozilla.net". If for example the hosts file contains "127.0.0.1 3dns.adobe.com", it would show 3dns.adobe.com for every single instance of localhost.

I could be wrong though, as I'm not sure how the programs you use for those screenshots lists things.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-03-26, 20:19

thejerseydevil wrote:
I own a Jeep. Stellantis doesn't require me to call them every day and ask their permission to drive it.
How is that relevant?
thejerseydevil wrote:
I am not legally required to connect my device to the internet. So how could I be obligated in any way (legally or ethically) to allow Adobe to phone home from my computer?
You signed a legally binding contract when you accepted the EULA, that's how.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-03-26, 20:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-24, 14:50
And I can tell you that if Moonchild ever did sell out.. I would so completely destroy this project it would be completely worthless by the time it was done. Hell, some idiots think I am destroying it daily just by being here think what would happen if Moonchild went rogue.
THIS! While I have had my differences with you, Tobin, I would support you in not supporting Pale Moon if insert ad company name here bought it.