Adobe exploiting Pale Moon to Phone Home

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Adobe exploiting Pale Moon to Phone Home

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-26, 20:30

Well ain't gonna happen so we can stay at odds ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-26, 23:01

Got to love how there is so much instantly voiced support for something actively destructive.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-27, 00:31

You know what is actively destructive? Ignorant assumptions made by ignorant people. Take the OP for example.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-27, 06:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-27, 00:31
You know what is actively destructive? Ignorant assumptions made by ignorant people. Take the OP for example.
Hey at least they came here first instead of making a neocities web page shouting the browser is spyware and then promoting that through news channels.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-03-27, 16:01

moonbat wrote:
2021-03-26, 09:25
thejerseydevil wrote:
2021-03-24, 13:57
Come on. Why do people develop apps? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Most apps are collecting data with an intent to monetize that data. Even Wordpress Avatars are a tracking cookie.
This has got to win the award for the most imbecilic, thoughtless and ignorant statement ever seen in the context of open source software. Any other context you may have meant is by definition irrelevant given both this browser and its addon community.
I don't know, I think its always possible, for people to be dumber, more ignorant and more cynical than this.

I have known a few people like this. They seem nutty to me.

And Jerseydevil if your looking at this, proprietary software does this often, maybe not always, but way more often then open source does.

If you want to ditch the issue, either don't use adobe/proprietary software, to be sure and use linux, or you will always have backdoors in some form.

I would suggest BSD too, but I know that the BSD community can be very, salty towards palemoon.

On an unrelated note, Moonchild is right, palemoon is not spyware.

It's not perfect, but no software is. ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-27, 16:05

I believe there is an absolute stupid but we haven't quite reached it yet.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-27, 16:10

Getting there.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2021-03-29, 12:08

thejerseydevil wrote:
2021-03-24, 13:57

Come on. Why do people develop apps? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Most apps are collecting data with an intent to monetize that data. Even Wordpress Avatars are a tracking cookie.
What‽ How is an avatar on a FOSS self-hosted CMS a tracking cookie? If that is so, how come no one else has ever said that‽

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-29, 14:53

Well he is clearly batshit insane and once again can't defend his claims when he doesn't get his way. Likely not coming back at this point since they haven't been since their last post according to logged in activity.

Man did they piss me off though and I suppose others as well. Not a smart thing to do really. Very few can outlast normal pissed off Tobin alone but a group of us morally pissed off and defending our very honor.. They had no chance in hell.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-03-29, 16:08

I'm guessing he (is/was) a troll. Maybe he thought he could stir up some trouble.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox