Windows 10 Overlays on Desktop Shortcuts keep changing

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
02ebz06

Windows 10 Overlays on Desktop Shortcuts keep changing

Unread post by 02ebz06 » 2021-02-05, 19:37

Unsure what is causing this, but appears to be Pale Moon.
I've been running version 29.0.0 for about 8 or 9 months now and really like it, mainly because it doesn't continually hammer my SSD like Chrome and most others do.
Only Add-Ons are Adblock Latitude 5.0.8 and Cookie Exterminator 2.9.6.

Within the last month or two, a problem has shown up on my PC and my Wife's at about the same time.
The desktop shortcut icons normally have a small right-curved arrow on the lower left corner.
What is happening is the little arrow goes away and gets replaced by something else.
I believe the Windows term for this arrow is an overlay, so it can be changed by programs.
It is getting replace with random overlays, Green Circle with a white check mark, Red box with a white dash in it, blank, a speaker, and a gray X.
In no particular order...
I've looked on Windows forums and other Google results, but all posts are 4 years old or so and not really relevant to my situation.
Icons that are not shortcuts are not affected.
Right Click on desktop, and clicking Refresh will restore the desktop shortcut icons, but not a good solution.

So, in my troubleshooting efforts, I have come to this.
Normally I leave a couple forum windows open 24/7.
What I did was shutdown all Pale Moon windows.
With Pale Moon shutdown, the shortcut icons did not change (left down for several hours).
If I bring Pale Moon up, do what I want and shut id down immediately, icons don't change.
Did this for 3 days and icons didn't change.
Left Pale Moon up today and within an hour shortcut icons changed to the gray X, then 30 to 45 min. later changed to the green circle with the check mark.

Any ideas to the cause ?

TIA