Mozilla Dependencies and Other Things

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
aagrip

Mozilla Dependencies and Other Things

Unread post by aagrip » 2021-02-04, 04:31

Hi All,
I'm new to Pale Moon. I was looking for a new browser that was mature and worked well and I'm pleased to have found it here. I've been using Firefox and Brave mostly for the last couple of years. The main reason I'm getting away from Firefox was a statement from one of the higher ups at Mozilla that suggested building censoring and/or blacklisting into Firefox. They are done in my opinion. If they go down that path, I think they will lose whatever market-share they have left. It was just very alarming to see what kind of people are at the helm at Mozilla. btw. I'm also dumping Thunderbird for Sylpheed. Sylpheed isn't perfect but, hey, what is? I also recently had Brave spike my cpu to over 80% running a process called Software Reporter Tool in the background. It's a carryover from Chrome. I'm done with that too.
So my questions are:
1. Does the Pale Moon project get any donations or ANYTHING from Mozilla or Google? I did see you have just dumped Google Ads on your website. Very nice.
2. Do you have any intentions on doing any of the censoring or blacklisting that Mozilla is talking about? I'm assuming not but I thought I'd ask.
3. Do you get any code from Mozilla anymore? I read several posts on this forum and it sounded like you haven't since version 24 of Firefox.

Just as an aside, I did like the fact that Brave had Tor built into it. It made hitting onion sites seamless. From what I've read here, Tor is not recommended for use with Pale Moon. Is there any interest in resolving the obfuscation of the browser signature to make Pale Moon a good alternative for Tor?

Thanks,
aagrip
p.s. Great work btw.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Mozilla Dependencies and Other Things

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-04, 10:03

1. No
2. No
3. Yes, we still port applicable code across because it's unnecessary to invent the wheel twice.

As for Tor usage: We have no intention of crippling the browser's internals (and usability) to cater to "anonymous" browsing through Tor. YMMV when using it with Tor.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-04, 10:08

You're better off installing Tor as a local service so it can proxy all traffic and not just your browser - personally I've never bothered because of how slow the damn thing is, and a properly vetted VPN is better IMO.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-04, 10:29

The only vetted VPN is one you run yourself. ANY overglorified proxy service CLAIMING they are a VPN is highly suspect and yoy can never actually know what they are doing.

AS FOR THE TOR NETWORK. It is or rather should be known that the Tor Network its self, almost all exit nodes, and hidden services have been compramised for years and is only one big honey pot. Much like any corperate VPN service.

Oh look, I didn't mention pedophiles this tim--

OOPS

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-04, 10:43

Off-topic:
For the record, here is a snippet from the firewall stats from last month.
I think it speaks for itself as to the general problem Tor causes on the web as a whole.
So it's compromised, is full of illegal pr0n, and is a pain for any webmaster (who doesn't have access to the controlling node parks) out there due to "anonymized" abuse.
secjan2021.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

aagrip

Unread post by aagrip » 2021-02-04, 14:11

Fair enough. You guys are obviously way more educated on Tor than I am. Point taken.
btw. The http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_20.04 repository you recommend has an invalid signature. After adding it, not only did it throw an error while trying to do the install, it broken the package updates for me. Someone may want to pass the message along.
Thanks,
aagrip

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2021-02-04, 15:02

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:29
Oh look, I didn't mention pedophiles this tim--
:thumbup:

Off-topic:
I use Tor once in a blue moon to get round regional blocking. I couldn't care less if Tor is compromised as long as it does the job for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-04, 15:12

Off-topic:
gepus wrote:
2021-02-04, 15:02
I couldn't care less if Tor is compromised as long as it does the job for me.
That's really beside the point. The whole point of Tor existing (and being fervently defended) for legitimate users (the few of them there are) is that it would be a safe way to connect to places, untraceable. It being compromised means that its very reason for existing for legitimate users in the first place is no longer valid!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-02-04, 16:09

aagrip wrote:
2021-02-04, 04:31
I'm also dumping Thunderbird for Sylpheed. Sylpheed isn't perfect but, hey, what is?
Check out Interlink Mail & News, which is built on the same platform as Pale Moon.