Something Trying to Illegally Update Pale Moon warning

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Something Trying to Illegally Update Pale Moon warning

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2020-12-24, 04:03

All this year I have gotten a pop-up every few weeks that tells me Something is trying to do an illegal update to Pale Moon has been blocked and I need to do nothing. The message further says to inform the network manager. I have no network manager, there is only me. I am wondering if this is happening to others or am I the only one. I also wonder what is really going on as I cannot get an further info.

I assume the blocking was done by Pale Moon and nothing relating to Windows 7 or any of my protective software. I did a restart in Safe Mode for 28 and that did not help, so it is not any of my few my extensions . I still also run the portable Pale Moon ver 27.9.4 from a usb stick for only one site, Google News. Any browser version higher than 27 I have had locks up when I try to go from the main news page to any of the more specific areas such as US, Business, Science etc. Since i visit Google News regularly, I have never been willing to upgrade the stick.

I never see that illegal update pop-up on the portable 27.9.4 version. I have no issues with Google Search, Google Scholar, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Shopping on the up-to-date version of 28. However, when using PM 27 on any Google site it now refuses to load the Google App which lets one select other Google sites to visit. However, I can go to all the Google sites using 27 if use the addy bar or the links I have to some Google areas on the bookmarks bar.

As long as this set-up lets me see the news on 27 and then use 28 for anything Google but the News I am fine as far as being able to see/do what I want. But I do not like having to do things this way as 27 isn't all that safe in terms of being up to date. So I have two problems, not just the illegal update issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am still working to make the move to Mac, but this past year personal health issues and Covid have greatly slowed things down in that respect (I will almost certainly die if I get Covid). I am finally getting back to work on making the switch. I do use the Mac version of Pale Moon rather than Safari. :thumbup:
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Something Trying to Illegally Update Pale Moon warning

Unread post by adesh » 2020-12-24, 05:40

TwoTankAmin wrote:
2020-12-24, 04:03
I assume the blocking was done by Pale Moon and nothing relating to Windows 7 or any of my protective software.
Did you try disabling your "protective" software? How does the pop-up look like, can you post a screenshot?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-12-24, 17:03

I have gotten a pop-up every few weeks that tells me Something is trying to do an illegal update to Pale Moon has been blocked and I need to do nothing
And you don't know just what software is generating this pop-up?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2021-01-06, 23:01

Finally got it again and did a screen grab. I run an up-to-date and and old portable version of PM (27.9.4). I only use it on google news as any up-to-date version hangs. The image below was taken when using the portable version to check for news a short while ago. So I was wrong in saying I did not get it then. Now the issue for me is do I also see it occasionally on my current version? It is possible I only get it on the portable. I am not sure one way or the other but I am leaning towards this.

If I am right then I really have no issue because if the current version of PM ever works right on the Google news site, I will have no need for the portable version. Once I complete the move to Mac it all changes, but I am still mostly on win 7.
FalsePMUpdate.jpg
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-06, 23:36

We normally check certificate attributes to make sure they match for the TLS connection to the update server.
If something is intercepting your TLS connection to the update server you can get this error. More "web filtering" at work here?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite