Unwanted saved page alert

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
khyranleander

Unwanted saved page alert

Unread post by khyranleander » 2020-11-28, 05:42

Hello. I am having a problem and don't know quite how to describe it; I'm not even sure if it's strictly an issue with Pale Moon or all browsers. See, what happens is that when I load up a web page that I'd saved to my own computer, a notice comes up just under the regular toolbars telling me when I'd saved the page. This is the same kind of alert -- and in the same place -- where it was announced last year or so that Flash-based programs would no longer be supported by Firefox or other internet browsers. I'll skip that rant, but why in the world would anyone need an alert about when they last saved a web page? Illegally saved copywritten content, sure, but just something to say "yep, it's been documented" is ridiculous.

Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? And if you do, any idea how I can shut this nuisance off?

Thank you. Khyranleander

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Unwanted saved page alert

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2020-11-28, 11:11

It is standart feature of user and machine dialogue - notification for user that requested background task(page saving isn't instant one action task) is complete.
I really don't understand what's the problem.

Also, you seem to use some extension, as i don't get any popups/notifications when i try to save page - it is shown as download.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-11-28, 20:12

On Linux you might run xwininfo -all (click on the relevant window) and then check the PID with ps -ax |ag (PIDno.), or on Windows try some equivalent method:
https://superuser.com/questions/249403/ ... -to/249416
If you can find what process creates this message it could help you figure out how to stop it.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

khyranleander

Unread post by khyranleander » 2020-12-02, 02:00

Nuck, I don't mean it shows up right after I save a page. I mean, it shows up if I reopen a page I saved YEARS AGO!!! Like, an old free-site story or article I want to reread that isn't online anymore, or something like that.

Khyran

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2020-12-02, 16:32

Maybe you would care to provide any(installed extensions and screenshot of notification for starters) additional info? I haven't any notifications on both saving and opening saved pages. Once again, if you save pages using extension - you should ask about it, not browser in general.

khyranleander

Unread post by khyranleander » 2020-12-02, 22:23

Nuck, again, it is NOT RELATED TO SAVING THE PAGE. It shows up when I REOPEN OLD PAGES.

Um, I think I managed to attach a screenshot I took, the alert linked in red. I opened the file & took the screenshot on December 1st, but note that the ALERT talks about how it was saved on November 20th. It will show the same alert every time I open up that copy.
Attachments
Unwanted saved page alert.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-02, 22:48

That will have been added by whatever you used to save the page as a .maff file; Pale Moon does not natively support that as a format for saved pages. So yes, this is most definitely related to SAVING the pages, not opening them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

khyranleander

Unread post by khyranleander » 2020-12-03, 12:54

Eh, somewhat: you're right, it did turn out to be the same add-on (Mozilla Archive Format), but not tied to the process of saving. Just a useless option for the display portion -- which I've now turned off successfully. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I just couldn't process what could possibly be doing it. Probably should have, but I'm only semi-literate about these things. So, thanks again.

Khyran